Thread: Electrical 101

Electrical 101

Other than installing new light fixtures I've never really done any electrical work to speak of. Currently I have a light in my garage that works on a chain which I want to put on a switch. Is this fairly straight forward? What is needed?

I assume I would want to be standing in a bucket of water while rewiring.......

Turn power off using the breaker for the area you are working on. Wire cutters/strippers and some wire nuts is probably all you need besides the actual tools to do it. Most light fixtures come with instructions. Probably 2-3 wires. Its easy.
    Nick V

Quote Originally Posted by Unreal
    Turn power off using the breaker for the area you are working on. Wire cutters/strippers and some wire nuts is probably all you need besides the actual tools to do it. Most light fixtures come with instructions. Probably 2-3 wires. Its easy.
    The fixture that is up will be staying. Do I simply need to connect a new wire to the new switch and run it to the light?

I can tell you how to wire a 3 pronged extension cord to a hps security light for indoor use, that's about it If you go to home depot to get it just ask someone, I'm sure it's pretty easy.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

Quote Originally Posted by HahnB
    I can tell you how to wire a 3 pronged extension cord to a hps security light for indoor use, that's about it If you go to home depot to get it just ask someone, I'm sure it's pretty easy.
    Yep, and forget about asking him for stereo instructions! LOL.
    Last edited by ectx; 10-27-2006 at 11:06 AM.
    ecDoesIt

"You're such a girl carbon. You're strong as hell, making wicked progress, and I post in your journal. WTF more could you want?"
    Anthony

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    - Sinclair Lewis

My latest (and only) WBB article.

Nick V

Diy Ftw!

Quote Originally Posted by HahnB
    If you go to home depot to get it just ask someone, I'm sure it's pretty easy.
    I can do it. And they can help!

Tanks mang!

Um, do you have a switch in place?

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    Um, do you have a switch in place?
    No. I need to install one then rewire.....

I'm sure they have remote control devices at home depot. I put one in my ceiling fan at home, rather than messing with running wire. cheap and easy.

Running wire, installing a new box, etc. is usually a huge pain in the ass. Is your garage finished?

I'd go with the remote in most cases, too.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Quote Originally Posted by ectx
    Yep, and forget about asking him for stereo instructions! LOL.
    lol, at least I have more of a clue than I did a year ago. I just wished my speakers were smaller.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

Thanks for the replies! My garage isn't finished but I'll look into the remote option.