Thread: habitat for humanity?

habitat for humanity?

Anyone work with this program? They're building a house in my town, and I was tempted to join, but found out it was a christian based program. Being strongly atheist/agnostic, i'm dragging my feet over this. Is it, in practice, a religious program?

It's Christian in the Jesus/Jimmy Carter sense: helping poor people.

It's not a super-evangelical organization.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    It's Christian in the Jesus/Jimmy Carter sense: helping poor people.

It's not a super-evangelical organization.
    See i'm all about helping people, but don't want to be around people professing christian stuff and, more importantly, supporting the christian church. It's non profit, so i know i wouldn't be helping it financially, but can't help thinking i'm doing something beneficial for christ, when that's the last thing i'd wanna do :evillaugh

From Habitat for Humanity website: "Habitat for Humanity International is a nonprofit, ecumenical Christian organization dedicated to eliminating substandard housing and homelessness worldwide and to making adequate, affordable shelter a matter of conscience and action. Habitat is founded on the conviction that every man, woman and child should have a simple, decent, affordable place to live in dignity and safety.

Habitat has an open-door policy: All who desire to be a part of this work are welcome, regardless of religious preference or background. Habitat for Humanity has always had a policy of building with people in need regardless of race or religion, and we welcome volunteers and supporters from all backgrounds."

If they don't care what religion you are, sounds like they just want people to work.

Edit: Removed the question, because it's not any of my business. Nor do I really care.
    Last edited by Three; 11-02-2006 at 11:37 AM.

Habitat is about the least-religious religious organization I can think of.

I wouldn't worry about it.

If it still bothers you, there are plenty of non-religious charities in the world.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

wasn't looking for a charity, i wanted to go help build houses. think i just may

churches are only out to help the church. there are plenty of other quality organizations that will not try to brainwash the people they are "helping". just track one or two down, and start volunteering.
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

6'2"
    273 lbs.

I did it for a few months on saturday mornings, but only because the judge said I had to.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

Quote Originally Posted by MrWebb78
    churches are only out to help the church. there are plenty of other quality organizations that will not try to brainwash the people they are "helping". just track one or two down, and start volunteering.
    You think that habitat for humanity brainwashes the people they help? The Church doesn't do everything for themselves. Part of Christian philosophy teaches you to help those who've fallen on hard times, to do good. For alot of people, this is part of what makes their lives complete, not doing the will of the Church. I think that's a pretty negative outlook.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

Quote Originally Posted by jdeity
    Anyone work with this program? They're building a house in my town, and I was tempted to join, but found out it was a christian based program. Being strongly atheist/agnostic, i'm dragging my feet over this. Is it, in practice, a religious program?
    So you wouldn't help someone out because it's Christian based? If anything, you're not making Athiests look all that good.

Do it because it's nice to help people, you'll probably learn stuff in the process, and it's the season of giving.
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs
    Bench: 250
    Deadlift: 435
    Squat: 350
    OHP: 190

The other option is to work for Habitat but then commit as many sins as possible on and off the job. Karmically speaking, you should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by sharkall2003
    So you wouldn't help someone out because it's Christian based? If anything, you're not making Athiests look all that good.

Do it because it's nice to help people, you'll probably learn stuff in the process, and it's the season of giving.
    I would be hesitant to support some religious charities, simply because they're sometimes far to happy to try to push their beliefs on others. I wouldn't be too worried about that with Habitat for Humanity, however.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Hatfield
    You think that habitat for humanity brainwashes the people they help? The Church doesn't do everything for themselves. Part of Christian philosophy teaches you to help those who've fallen on hard times, to do good. For alot of people, this is part of what makes their lives complete, not doing the will of the Church. I think that's a pretty negative outlook.
    I'd watch out on that. The Catholic Church is largely corrupt. In fact, it's damaged some of the relationships with people that I am close with. Closing down school after school, and lieing about why we're closing, how we're going to afford for other funds, ect. BUT, Habitat for Humanity is a great program to be involved with. We have built four houses in our neighborhood with the program.

Take it for what it's worth. I'm usually preaching on here, but for once I am actually telling people that there are things that need to be changed in the church. As of what I have seen it's pretty how badly they have hurt some children, parents, and families in the process of trying to save a few dollars.
    Last edited by sharkall2003; 11-02-2006 at 01:27 PM.
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs

The other option is to work for Habitat but then commit as many sins as possible on and off the job. Karmically speaking, you should be fine.
    ROFL!!!!!

Don't worry, you won't be preached at during the house building.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Nope. Everyone's usually busy working.

Quote Originally Posted by sharkall2003
    I'd watch out on that. The Catholic Church is largely corrupt. In fact, it's damaged some of the relationships with people that I am close with. Closing down school after school, and lieing about why we're closing, how we're going to afford for other funds, ect. BUT, Habitat for Humanity is a great program to be involved with. We have built four houses in our neighborhood with the program.

Take it for what it's worth. I'm usually preaching on here, but for once I am actually telling people that there are things that need to be changed in the church. As of what I have seen it's pretty how badly they have hurt some children, parents, and families in the process of trying to save a few dollars.
    Well, I didn't say they were perfect. Far from it, I'll be the first to admit. But what other huge institution doesn't have just as many faults? Not that that is an excuse for such behavior. Anyways...

I was just saying that the Church doesn't do everything for themselves, and only looking at the bad they do is not a good way to live. I'm saying that the Christian way of life dicatates one must do a certain amount of good for others. That's it. I'm not here to debate on how great the Catholic Church is (of which i am a proud member).
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

That's a really good point, Mix.

For example, to make up for leading one of the biggest evangelical churches in the country, you have to do methamphetamine and have gay sex with a male prostitute for three years.

To counteract building a house, you probably just have to dance or smoke a cigarette or something.

that's hilarious

OMG those links are HILARIOUS!!! A pastor who (maybe) had sex with a gay prostitute, smokes meth, and then goes and preaches! That's sooo cartman! I love it

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Hatfield
    Well, I didn't say they were perfect. Far from it, I'll be the first to admit. But what other huge institution doesn't have just as many faults? Not that that is an excuse for such behavior. Anyways...

I was just saying that the Church doesn't do everything for themselves, and only looking at the bad they do is not a good way to live. I'm saying that the Christian way of life dicatates one must do a certain amount of good for others. That's it. I'm not here to debate on how great the Catholic Church is (of which i am a proud member).
    Atleast we are in agreement.
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs