The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Help me understand how to CUT

Ok some background.
    Weight: 158lbs.
    Height: 5'8"
    Training exp: 8 months of heavy lifting

About 2 years ago I weighed 203lbs. at the highest (not weight training, just fat). Over a period of 6 months I lost ~40 lbs. of that weight through extreme caloric deficit and cardio every day. I lost a large amount of muscle at the same time. Over the next 6 months I dropped all the way down to 146lbs. with more cardio and diet. So in a period of 1 year, I dropped from 203 to 146. I realized how weak I was getting and started to weight train. Bulked up to my current weight at 158 in about 8 months. (all weights are reps of 6) Bench went from 90 to 145, deadlift 140 to 265, squat 160 to 245.

Diet: While bulking, I was eating about 2800calories, trying to get 20% calories from fat, 40% from carbs (whole wheat, veggies, little sugar), and 40% from proteins. For cutting, I assume one would just reduce total calories and keep same percentages.

Goal: I am satisfied with my strength for now and I want to add definition to my body before bulking again. I have a fear of getting fat again and I want to cut after every 15 or so pounds gain. However, I certainly do not want to loose any of the muscle I have worked on. Lower BF% with minimal strength/muscle loss.

Is there something I can read that will help me understand the basics of a cutting routine? I honestly do not know much about it. Examples of routines, cardio?, still lift heavy?, Diet?(and what kinda nutrition should I be aiming for?), etc. Anything would be helpful. I am in college learning to become a nurse, so if you want to get technical, I don't mind. I'll ask if I don't understand something. Thank you for reading.

Edit: If I should post this in another part of the forum, please let me know.
    Last edited by pepsihatman; 10-30-2006 at 10:04 AM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Just read and follow the cutting guide stickied at the top or in Built's signature.
    Nick V

Lift like you're trying to be the strongest mother****er on earth. Eat less.
    The Reconstruction Project (Journal)

Age: 34, Height: 5'4, Weight: 185, BF: somewhere between 15 and 45%

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8
    Bests: Bench 185 x 8, Dead 400 x 1, Zercher Squat 295 x 3

Stop thinking and go lift - Paul Stagg

Quote Originally Posted by Unreal
    Just read and follow the cutting guide stickied at the top or in Built's signature.
    Thank you very much for pointing me in that direction. Lots of good info there.

Another quick question. Do you typically determine when to bulk based off weight, or strength goals, or how? If I do want to be stronger later, should I hold off the cutting for now, and continue to bulk? Then do one larger/longer cut later? (ok, so maybe a few questions)
    Last edited by pepsihatman; 10-30-2006 at 12:02 PM.

That is up to you. You bulk till you reach a goal, then cut to another. Could be a certain weight, certain lifts, certain BF%. That is all up to you.
    Nick V

That is up to you. You bulk till you reach a goal, then cut to another. Could be a certain weight, certain lifts, certain BF%. That is all up to you.
    Understood. Is it going to be harmful in any way to bulk and cut multiple times? I've seen a lot of people on this forum describe one huge bulk and one huge cut. Perhaps it is more efficient that way?

No, nothing wrong with doing it multiple times. Only issue is long cuts be hard, and have other effects. It is best to try to keep them to a more limited about of time.
    Nick V

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    Bulking and cutting sounds a bit like yo-yo dieting but IMO yo-yo dieters generally don't lift weights and count cals.

I prefer the shorter bulks and cuts. With short cuts you can keep you metabolism functioning. With short bulks you can assess the quality of the weight you add much easier.

The Fitness Industry is a 1 billion dollar industry.
    --Dairy Queens Blizzard pulls in 3/4 of a billion.
    --------------We are the elite.------------

What do you consider short? 8 weeks? 10 weeks?
    Nick V

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    What do you consider short? 8 weeks? 10 weeks?

Up to 12 perhaps. Hard to put an exact number on it.

Those of us that are metabolically challenged have to keep a closer eye on it.

The Fitness Industry is a 1 billion dollar industry.
    --Dairy Queens Blizzard pulls in 3/4 of a billion.
    --------------We are the elite.------------