The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Banned

staying lean, getting big - advice?

i've been going to the gym on and off for about 3 years now, but i've decided to get dedicated and to achieve my goals!

i am 18 and currently weighing about 128lbs at 5ft 9"..i know..a bit light lol. but i can bench like 70kgs 3x12? dno if thats good or not. My bodyfat is around 12% i guess? never had it worked out or checked.

i wake up about 7am and have 2 bits of toast with some scrambled eggs + a protein shake mixed with water. around 1:30ish i have a chicken and bacon sandwhich from tescos with a bottle of water. pre-workout, which is at about 5pmish i'd have a protein shake and throughout my workout have a lot of water. after an hour or so in gym i'd go home and at about 7 eat dinner, which is usually some lean meat like steak and salad/vegetables.

I train tuesday/wednesday/thursday *i know they arent the best days but it's becuase i have college on those days and the gym is free*

After Christmas i'll be driving again and can go to local gym on other days and re-vamp my routine schedule so i can have more rest between days.

My goals are to put on some lean muscle so i can get up to about 70kg (~155lbs) in weight and to get my bodyfat just under 10%. I was thinking of doing something like chest/bi's/abs one day. then rest. back/tri's/abs another. then rest. quads/hammies on last day. then rest.

need some tips/advice on what kind of exercises to work these muscle groups. plz! ^_^

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Banned
    First, eat big. Track everything at www.fitday.com and if you don't gain weight, eat more than you were before. Second, check out the routines on the site, especially "Wannabebig 1" and "baby got back". Poke around on www.wannabebig.com and you'll find them.

Banned
    Thanks a lot Spikey i'll get on that now

Looks like you need to eat more.

Quote Originally Posted by Mik
    Looks like you need to eat more.
    Simple and true.

Eat, and consume lots of protein.

Since you're such a twig, 155 pounds should be no problem.
    Last edited by Chris686; 10-30-2006 at 01:07 PM.
    Forever Goal: Strength

Weightlifting sucks. I just like to lift heavy things.

As everyone has said, diet is going to be your main concern. As for your lifts, just pick a good group of compound movements and you should be set. Any reason your split lacks shoulders?

Height: 6'2
    Weight: 195 (01JAN09)
    B/F: 11%
    Goal Weight: 210
    Starting weight: 150 (10/1/04)

Banned
    ive started doing the WBB 1. looked like a very good routine.

did my first day of it today and felt really good, unfortunately i woke up bit late and didnt really have a good breakfast, only 2 bits of toast and cup of tea :/. I did manage to make myself some protein brownie things tho hehe. They have the texture of roast beef but taste ok so i dont mind them really.

I am gunna really try and concentrate on my diet, i know it lacks a lot so i have been reading up on all the articles on here. Being a student it is a bit hard to eat what i want but will definitely give it a go. Any good snacks that people can suggest i should be eating during my breaks or anything?

Peanuts or nuts in general, beef jerky (Personal favorite), protein bars (Home made), anything that doesn't require refridgeration that has lots of protein.
    Forever Goal: Strength

Weightlifting sucks. I just like to lift heavy things.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Huggz
    I am gunna really try and concentrate on my diet, i know it lacks a lot so i have been reading up on all the articles on here. Being a student it is a bit hard to eat what i want but will definitely give it a go. Any good snacks that people can suggest i should be eating during my breaks or anything?
    I'm a student too. It can be tough, but the easiest way is to premake as much food as possible. For example, I'll mix up 5 cans of tuna with mayo and stuff on sunday, then eat it throughout the week.

Peanuts are a lifesaver. There is no (easy) way I could eat 3500+ calories a day without them. If you can afford them, almonds are great too. Seeds are good as well.

Another great option is to roast a whole chicken. They are cheap, give you lots of meat, and only take a couple hours of attention-free cooking.

132 and you want to stay lean?

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Banned
    yer i wanna stay lean, whats wrong with that? ;p i go to the gym for asthetic and health reasons, not to get strong

yer i wanna stay lean, whats wrong with that? ;p i go to the gym for asthetic and health reasons, not to get strong
    You're not lean to begin with. You're painfully thin.

You must get stronger and eat at a surplus to get bigger muscles.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

:withstupi

You need to eat. And lots.

You eat like a bird.

You need to start eating.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Sanchez
    You eat like a bird.

You need to start eating.
    You need to eat birds!

Are you suggesting cannibalism?

I wonder how much protein a serving of Huggz has. I can't seem to find it in fitday anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Sanchez
    Are you suggesting cannibalism?

I wonder how much protein a serving of Huggz has. I can't seem to find it in fitday anywhere.
    LOL. I meant eat lots and lots of dead birds. Perhaps wash it down with dead cows.

Banned
    feel good trying to rip it out of someone online? ;x

i'm working on the whole eating thing, it's just a bit easier sed than done when you're new to it all and have other things going on in your life

feel good trying to rip it out of someone online? ;x

i'm working on the whole eating thing, it's just a bit easier sed than done when you're new to it all and have other things going on in your life
    Dude, noone here is trying to "rip it out of you". It's all been solid advice to get you to eat more. Take it for what it's worth.

Banned
    We've all been new and we all have other things to do. Shut up and eat.

Seriously, if I had busted my ass and started eating more when I started, I'd be easy 15 lbs bigger than I am now.

Yeah, eating was definetly my biggest problem when I started lifting. I wasted so much time not eating enough.

I know it seems kind of patronizing, but telling you to eat more is actually the best advice we can give you. There is no magic routine and no magic supplement (except HGH, but even then you need to eat lots) that is going to make you huge. Eating will take care of that.

Banned
    thanks for advice, sorry i got a bit arsey earlier lol. bloody school work and stuff :P but yer, the advice is very much appreciated guys thanks