Thread: New guy-Desperate for advice

Wannabebig New Member

New guy-Desperate for advice

Hello everyone. This is my first post. I am in my 30's and I have always wanted to be big, and ripped. I have attempted to build up many times over the years. Each time with little to no success. Admittedly, I have never stuck with a routine for more than 6 months. I just don't see ANY improvement. I weigh 200 lbs, and I'm lucky if I can bench 140. I am out of shape at 6 feet tall, and 200 lbs. I have a poor diet, and I'm just sooo disgusted with myself. Looking in a mirror depresses me. I have an old man "pot belly", and jelly bean arms. I do own a home gym machine, but I cannot afford a gym membership. What I am asking for is advice. PLEASE tell me how to get started. I know that if I see improvements, I will stick with it. I know nothing about what I should be doing. Please help.

Fat Kid

www.fitday.com

Track your diet for a week.

Read the red diet link in my sig.

Start lifting using WBB1 to get started.

Post up your diet average and we'll help you set up a diet.

Welcome to the board. I used to be fat, too. If I can do this, so can you.

Welcome FatKid...
    You've made the first step already by asking for help, so Kudos to you!

Do as Built suggested, she certainly knows what she is doing, and will get you on the right track in no time!
    Just remember, its no 1 day wonder trick and it takes years to get the ultimate look! Diet is very important, get a hold of that, and then everyone here can help you with weights or specifics.
    Good luck.
    Last edited by 1mmort4l; 10-31-2006 at 01:56 AM.

Current PR's (updated 19th March.)

Bench: 325lbs/ 145kgs
    Dead: 395lbs/ 180kgs
    Squat: 370lbs/ 165kgs x 1 parallel.

Occupational Hypnomania
    Do free weights, no smith machines or anything like that. Dont skimp on things like squats and deadlifts because they are "to hard", get someone to teach you if you dont know how. And uhh, learn to cook because most the crap you buy at supermarket is ass. There is no toning, there is building/losing muscle and gaining/losing body fat so dont do 100 reps of bicep curl.

Just so you dont make any mistakes..
    Last edited by Turnip; 10-31-2006 at 02:06 AM.

FK, when you say you "can't afford a gym membership," what exactly do you mean? When the folks at this board say "go to the gym!," they *do not* mean "go to the nicest gym in town" or even "go to an upscale gym." Find the cheapest place you can that has a set of free weights - the rest is largely fluff (treadmills, cardio machines, stairsteppers, etc.) that will just drive the gym's overhead up and likely cause them to charge higher membership fees. Look at the local high school/college gyms by you and see if they offer a cheap deal - you should definitely be able to find something in the range of $20-30/month, which is not even a dollar/day.

and then... Happy lifting!!
    25 years old, 5'10''

Back in the States to get hayooooge!

Health goals
    - Weigh a healthy and active 170-180, healthy mind and body
    - Dunk a basketball (hey a man can have big dreams huh)
    - Swim 2-3x/week and become a better swimmer

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    My new gym is 34 bucks a month. My old gym was 25 bucks a month. Both have plenty of equipment. I don't see the dilemma. Find a cheap gym.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

*start eating better

*squat, bench, deadlift, rows, chins

*start an online journal here
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Kid
    I know that if I see improvements, I will stick with it.
    This is one major problem. It has to be the other way around. Stick with it, and you WILL see improvements. You've probably been giving up on yourself too soon. Consistency is key, along with what the other posters have said.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Wannabebig New Member
    "Built"....Thank you so much for the advice. I will read everything I can. Thanks to the rest who responded also. This would mean the world to me, I don't need to be huge (though it would be nice) I just want to be fit and healthy, and look good. Some of you said to join a gym and use free weights. Well, first....I really don't have any extra cash for a gym membership right now. Also, evcen if I did the YMCA is the only place around here with a gym, and it's quite expensive here. Would I be able to use my home gym at all? Thanks for any help.

Fat Kid

What is your home gym machine? Is it a set of cable pulleys?

You have decided to make time to work on your health. Great first step. Keep in mind that while your real health change will come through endurance and keeping a positive attitude.

Try to work with your budget to see what you can do for a membership. You will be saving money on food by eating cleaner and that may be able to go towards a membership if your home gym is inadequate.

Quote Originally Posted by Guido
    This is one major problem. It has to be the other way around. Stick with it, and you WILL see improvements. You've probably been giving up on yourself too soon. Consistency is key, along with what the other posters have said.

Very well said Guido!

Warning, rambling advice from a crazy old fart....

First, listen to what the experienced folks above have told you. There are some really smart people here. If you have trouble figuring out exactly which ones are smart and which aren't here's a simple rule of thumb: Stick with Built.

[She pretends to be a single human female, but many of us know she is actually an entire committee of Ph.D. holding physiologist weightlifters all posting under the same username. ]

Second, remember, it IS possible for you to set and reach goals. No, you will never win Olympia. But yes, if you are determined, you will improve. Visibly. Markedly. And proudly.

Third, go to Costco or Wal-Mart or somewhere, or go online and get yourself a decent set of free weights and a bench and maybe a book like Starting Strength that will teach you proper technique so you can lift effectively and safely. You can likely do all this for less than the cost of a year's membership at a gym. Check the Thirifty Nickel or whatever you need to do. If you buy used, you can get a set of weights and maybe still have a little money left over to stock up on Whey.

Bottom line is, we achieve what we set our minds to in ratios proportionate to our stick-to-it-ness. It isn't how good you are, but how bad you really want it. If you have money for a high speed internet connection, you have money for a few cast iron plates and a bar. Budget priorities, friend.

If you keep telling yourself "can't, can't, can't" you will end up next November exactly where you are this November.

So keep reading and get started. And good luck! [Not that luck really has anything to do with it, but I can't think of any other appropriate phrase.]
    Last edited by beatlesfreak; 11-01-2006 at 04:50 PM.