The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member
    When people say lift heavy, what's considered heavy relative to the lifter? Just heavy enough to barely get 8 reps if that's your goal? But at what sacrifice, your form? I have had this problem before where I'm always focused on my form because I won't compromise the increase in chance in pulling my muscle just to lift heavier.

For example, if I'm doing DeadLifts, I usually just warm up with 25 lbs on each side (I know..I'm weak) and I get 10 easy reps out of that. I do 2 more sets adding ten lb plates per side per set that means my third set I'm DeadLifting 135 lbs, and I get about 8 reps and I'm struggling to keep my form. I hear people say LIFT HEAVY, but what about lift heavy and keep form. EVERYONE SAYS LIFT HEAVY LIFT HEAVY. I believe in that, BUT I FEEL AS THOUGH NO ONE HAS SAID ANYTHING ABOUT MAINTAINING FORM? Is it even important when you lift heavy OR is it not?

I've heard that for advanced lifters who lift really heavy use a swinging motion for any exercise because it's a must with the weight they use. Is this true?

Just to let you guys know how new I am with lifting and what I do on my work outs:

I've lifted since my Junior Year in highschool and I'm a sophomore now. I've never improved much until I reached college. My routine is as follows:

Monday:
    Chest
    bench 135lbs 3x8
    Incline DB 60lbs 2x8
    Incline Flys 30lbs 2x10
    Cables Flys from the bottom 50lbs 2x8-10

Shoulders
    DB Lateral Raises 20lbs 2x10
    DB Front Raises 15lbs 2x10
    DB Press 40-45lbs 2x8

Tris
    Cable Pushdowns 100lbs 2x12
    Lieing Tricep Extensions 55lbs 2x12

Run for 15 minutes

Tuesday:
    Back
    DeadLifts 95lbs 10 reps
    115lbs 10 reps
    135lbs 8 reps
    Seated Cable Rows 110lbs 10 reps
    120lbs 10 reps
    Wide-Grip Behind-the-Neck Pulldowns
    100lbs 8 reps
    120lbs 8 reps
    Pull ups- 2x7

Biceps
    StraightBar Curls 75lbs 2x8
    Hammers 30lbs 2x10
    DB Curls 30lbs 2x8-10

Legs
    Squats 135lbs 3x10 (slow)
    Leg Extenstions 110lbs 2x10 (slow)
    Leg Curls 90lbs 2x10

ERG for about 15 minutes.

This is my routine for 6 weeks then I rest a week and change my routine when I start another 6 week cycle. Since I'm in college, my diet isn't quite controlled because school food is not that good. I don't have a car so I can't really go shopping for my own food and my frig isn't as big as I'd like it to be to store enough food for a week.

Any Input please. What's lifting heavy? I'm sure I can DeadLift more than 135 lbs, but I don't want to pull my back. If I slap on 185 I bet I can get it up because I have the determination to do so, but I bet my form would be sloppy, even for that one rep. Help guys? Anyone and Everyone.

Cheers!
    al
    All of us here at this websites are the good fellas. Lift heavy, eat lean, sleep like your snoralax .

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    When the word heavy is thrown around about lifting, it can mean different things. First you have to understand that what is heavy for me, may not be heavy for someone else and vice-versa. Now, heavy may be a max single, a set of 3, set of 5, set of 8,10,12,20....etc.

IMO, heavy means a weight that you will reach failure on in your desired rep range. If you are shooting for 8-12 reps on your sets and you use a weight that you fail at 10 reps, then that is heavy. If you chose a weight that was an easy 12 reps and you stopped at 12, then that wasn;'t heavy. Get it?

I would suggest never sacrificing form for heavier weights. Do you want to be a powerlifter or a bodybuilder? Or a little of both?

Just make sure you are using good form and try and add weight or reps whenever possible. Just add 5 lbs at a time. No need to throw an extra 50 lbs on there.

The "swinging" of the weight you were talking about sounds like controlled-cheating. This can be done with little chance of injury if the lifter is smart and careful. If the lifter does not focus ion the muscle or muscles being targeted though, then this technique is pointless. I wou;d just stick with strict form and try and get stronger that way.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

Why are you benching as much as you're squatting and deadlifting? Have you always put a priority on bench? Try upping your squat and deadlift poundages. I'm sure you can do it. Just be careful.

Wannabebig Member
    Last summer I worked 98 hours 6 days a week. I didn't have much time to workout. I started out weighing 180 lbs at the beginning and when I went back to school I weigh about 160. I've been trying to gain back the weight, and after a semester and a half I'm back up to 170. I still can't bench 185, which I almost--ALMOST got up when I weighed in 180. Anywho, I think I can bench 160 or 170..I should try to see if I can do it.

As for deadlifts and Squats? Well, Deadlifts I'm afraid of pulling my back since I said I lose form a bit when I go heavier than 135 and it's frustrating. Secondly, when I do squats I take about 10 seconds to move down, then I explode up. Doing 3 sets is enough to make my want to hurl which has happened in a small degrees.

Thanks for the reply guys.

Also, Monday and Tuesdays Routine is repeated on Thursday and Friday. The remaining 3 days I break.

Thanks again
    All of us here at this websites are the good fellas. Lift heavy, eat lean, sleep like your snoralax .

Equal Opportunity Offender Budiak's Avatar
    Thatsalottahours!
    When I say "heavy" I mean just that. When I pick up the weight I say to myself "wow, thats heavy."
    Ok enough fooling around. Going heavy to me means 6-8 reps and going light means 10-15 reps. I try to to go light much because all I'm going for right now is shapeless, brutish size.

Latman's opinion of heavy is correct with one exception, once you start getting into the higher rep ranges you are training lightly in almost all cases because most people cannot lift a weight which is "heavy" for 20 reps. Heavy is relative, there are guys that can squat 400 lbs for 20 reps, but that is not heavy to them. 500+ pounds would be heavy for them. Donut, you have the right idea, always train with strict form. Train as heavy as you can in strict form and use a weight that will allow you to reach failure for the desired rep range (i.e. 10 reps on squats). Latman gave you very good advice.

Wannabebig Member Podium Kreatin's Avatar
    i really like maxot's def of heavy; using a weight that u could do 4-6 good reps, and always failing b4 the 7th. Failing bc ur brain tells u to stop, not bc ur exhausted.
    "No one can completely believe that I am natural.
    The most important drug is to train like a madman
    -really like a madman
    The people who accuse me are those who have never trained once in their life as I train every day of my life."

Alexandr Karelin
    Ten-time World Greco-Roman Champion
    1988, 1992, 1996 Olympic gold medalist

current stats (10/19/03): 20yrs, M, 5'4 @160lbs, ~11% body fat
    lifted since march 2000

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks for the Reply guys. The humor was good, not too excesive, thanks. I appreciate it all. Any advice on diet? or My routine? Any critique?

Cheers!
    al

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Originally posted by Podium Kreatin
    i really like maxot's def of heavy; using a weight that u could do 4-6 good reps, and always failing b4 the 7th. Failing bc ur brain tells u to stop, not bc ur exhausted.

I think going until your body stops is better than going until your brain stops. I have had many sets which would have been stopped short if I had listen to the voice in my head to stop. You have to keep pushing, no matter how hard it is, until you can't lift it anymore. That my friend, is heavy!

A good example of this is the 20 rep breathing squats. You will want to quit. No person in their right mind would like to endure that kind of pain! You have to keep pushing!
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

Wannabebig Member Podium Kreatin's Avatar
    whoa! i didn't say until ur brain stops! after a certain degree of stress, ur brain sends messages to ur muscles to fail. These messages are part of the involuntary part of ur brain. ie. when lactic acid levels reach too high, ur brain can detect it, and makes u fail, no matter how hard u try to push the next rep. however, ppl who take stimulants, like eca or some stronger drug, like speed, can resist pain and push more weight; u can bypass ur brain's messages.

my idea of heavy was that u go until ur brain interprets failure, not u. this is y i don't like forced reps, cuz when ur brain tells u to stop, u'd better listen!
    "No one can completely believe that I am natural.
    The most important drug is to train like a madman
    -really like a madman
    The people who accuse me are those who have never trained once in their life as I train every day of my life."

Alexandr Karelin
    Ten-time World Greco-Roman Champion
    1988, 1992, 1996 Olympic gold medalist

current stats (10/19/03): 20yrs, M, 5'4 @160lbs, ~11% body fat
    lifted since march 2000