Thread: Oh well, it finally happened, I did my back in

Oh well, it finally happened, I did my back in

I had a huge lay off over the summer, trained with MPs, lunges and pullups throughout July, but did more or less nothing until October. I performed deadlifts for the first time about a week ago. I think my form must have been quite poor. I worked up to about 300lbs, and it felt like a tonne (I used to find this weight to be pretty easy). Needless to say at the end of the session, my back felt shot. I did them again yesterday, but stuck at 275lbs. Acording to my friend my form was good. I felt pretty strong, and kept the reps under five, but on the third set, the pain in my back just felt that little bit too sharp. So I stopped the set there, and left the gym.
    Today my back feels very stiff, I can only reach my shins if I do a standing stretch (usually I can touch at least my ankles if not my toes). My back hurts when I cough or sneeze, and it sometimes hurts when I bend over. The pain is not severe though, and is only located in a very small area at the base of my spine.
    It isn't at all a problem with daily tasks, but I know for sure I wont be deading or squatting for a while.
    I've booked an appointment with the doctor, but the whole process will be very slow before I find out what should be done.
    I guess I'm just posting this to here similar experiences, and maybe advice with respect to training. I had planned to do dips and pull ups today, the way my back is I think this would be a possibility, but I'm not sure.

Thanks in advance.

Well, you said it yourself ... poor form. This is why learning the deadlift is so important ... whether it's 30 pounds or 300 pounds, poor form can result in injury.

Hopefully it's a just a pull and you recovery quickly.

Next time, take a video from the side of your deadlift with nothing but a bar or a broomstick. Post it for review and we'll go from there.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Max
    I had a huge lay off over the summer, trained with MPs, lunges and pullups throughout July, but did more or less nothing until October. I performed deadlifts for the first time about a week ago. I think my form must have been quite poor. I worked up to about 300lbs, and it felt like a tonne (I used to find this weight to be pretty easy). Needless to say at the end of the session, my back felt shot. I did them again yesterday, but stuck at 275lbs. Acording to my friend my form was good. I felt pretty strong, and kept the reps under five, but on the third set, the pain in my back just felt that little bit too sharp. So I stopped the set there, and left the gym.
    Today my back feels very stiff, I can only reach my shins if I do a standing stretch (usually I can touch at least my ankles if not my toes). My back hurts when I cough or sneeze, and it sometimes hurts when I bend over. The pain is not severe though, and is only located in a very small area at the base of my spine.
    It isn't at all a problem with daily tasks, but I know for sure I wont be deading or squatting for a while.
    I've booked an appointment with the doctor, but the whole process will be very slow before I find out what should be done.
    I guess I'm just posting this to here similar experiences, and maybe advice with respect to training. I had planned to do dips and pull ups today, the way my back is I think this would be a possibility, but I'm not sure.

Thanks in advance.
    i did my back in ages ago deadlifting when my back was tight from squatting - i could not bend down following it for about 2 days, and it was very painful to do so, i thought i had done some very serious damage, but a couple of days later it felt fine

ive been getting little naging pains in my back every now and again since though, they annoy me

I hope you get better man, sorry to hear that. That is one of my biggest fears, and I bet you did have good form, just sometimes on a heavy ass load your form may go a lil crooked for a second and thats all it takes, can happen to any of us. Keep us updated.

Well you said yourself that you haven't done them for a long time. Are you sure it's not just soreness?

First time I did deadlifts I couldn't even put my shoes on the next day.

about 2 weeks ago i had sortof the same pain i think... although i have a history of a bad back.

after doing squats and deads the next day my lower back felt REALLY sore. it was abit to the right of my spine. right next to those 2 bones that are pretty noticable. i was afraid i wrecked my back again but the next day it felt a ton better. i just stretched it out all day and i was fine. mabye its the same for you?
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

Thanks for the advice guys. My back seems to have improved, although it still feels very stiff, and my flexibility isn't quite here it should be. I'm definitely gonna keep the deads light for a while.
    The thing that worries me is that this has been coming for a while. I think standing millies aren't helping much either. I squat ATF now and I find that it's much better for my back. The powerlifter style puts far too much strain on my lower back.
    Anyway, we'll see how this pans out over the next week or so. I plan to do squats on Wednesday, or possibly Tuesday.

take magnesium its a natural muscle relaxant. It has SAVED me in times when i thought i was massivly injured (muscle pulls etc)

Seriously take my advice and you'll feel better in DAYS or dont and your gonna be in alot of pain.

Go to a healthfood place, get magnesium pills, and LOAD the **** up!!! you can take lots of these. take about 4 pills before bed, and sleep on the floor.... repeat

Ice, Advil, and plenty of rest. Followed by serious concentration on proper form and starting over at appropriate levels of resistance.

Good luck.

Thanks for the advice guys. My back seems to have improved, although it still feels very stiff, and my flexibility isn't quite here it should be. I'm definitely gonna keep the deads light for a while.
    The thing that worries me is that this has been coming for a while. I think standing millies aren't helping much either. I squat ATF now and I find that it's much better for my back. The powerlifter style puts far too much strain on my lower back.
    Anyway, we'll see how this pans out over the next week or so. I plan to do squats on Wednesday, or possibly Tuesday.
    I hurt my back about 9 months ago doing deads and I thought I was really hurt bad. My back was so stiff and in constent pain for 2 days. Then it slowly started to go away and finally returned to normal after 3 weeks.

I then attempted to concentrate more on good form by lowering the weight and starring at a mirror directly in front of me (thus forcing me to keep my head up). All was good for about a month and I slowing was working the weight back up. Then it happened again (although not as bad this time). I decided to rest my back from deads and only perform light weight squats with only the best form.

I worked my way back up and now I am doing to heaviest weight I have ever done with great form and I am feeling strong! Keep with them man and keep the form tight. Going back to lighter weight and perfecting my form helped me.
    Last edited by Levantar; 11-05-2006 at 06:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Won't Stop
    I worked my way back up and now I am doing to heaviest weight I have ever done with great form and I am feeling strong! Keep with them man and keep the form tight. Going back to lighter weight and perfecting my form helped me.
    ^^^

What he said.

Keep your weights light enough not to break form and work up from there progessively. There's no room for ego in the deadlift.

Again thanks for the advice guys. It is frustrating, since I used to be quite strong at deads. I got 360lb for a triple, and probably had 405lb in me at one point. Now I'll just have to stay light for a while.

take magnesium its a natural muscle relaxant. It has SAVED me in times when i thought i was massivly injured (muscle pulls etc)

Seriously take my advice and you'll feel better in DAYS or dont and your gonna be in alot of pain.

Go to a healthfood place, get magnesium pills, and LOAD the **** up!!! you can take lots of these. take about 4 pills before bed, and sleep on the floor.... repeat
    Can anyone elaborate on this, I've never heard of using magnesium before. Also is there actually any medical truth in sleeping on the floor being good for you back?

Wannabebig Member
    Be very careful with that area of your spine. I had a herniated disc at the base of my spine just slighty to the right, which required surgery. Hopefully your's isn't anything like that, but ice/heat, muscle relaxers, and anti-inflamatory pills should give you some immediate relief.

Why does everyone injure their back deadlifting? I use my legs and mostly hamstrings and butt to deadlift. I barely feel any stress in my back. I just look at high as possible toward the ceiling when I deadlift and I feel fine.
    From 155 lbs to 200 lbs (PICS/VIDS INCLUDED)

Height: 6'0"; BW: 202lbs; Age: 24; BF: ~11%
    155lbs [07-01-06] 176lbs [09-14-06] 179lbs [09-21-06] 182lbs [10-02-06] 184lbs [10-18-06] 186lbs [10-23-06] 187lbs [11-08-06] 189lbs [11-19-06] 190lbs [11-21-06] 191lbs [12-21-06] 194lbs [12-31-06]

Bench: 250lbs; Squat: 350lbs lbs; Deadlift: 430 lbs

Military: 111lbsx8; Dips: BWx30; Pullups: BWx10; WChestP: 360lbsx7; 45LegP: 470lbsx20; C Raise: 360lbs; BB Curl: 105lbsx3; Lat Pull: 195lbsx5

Quote Originally Posted by -Superman-
    Why does everyone injure their back deadlifting? I use my legs and mostly hamstrings and butt to deadlift. I barely feel any stress in my back. I just look at high as possible toward the ceiling when I deadlift and I feel fine.
    Add more weight to the bar and I guarantee you'll feel stress in your back.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei
    Add more weight to the bar and I guarantee you'll feel stress in your back.
    I added another 20 lbs today and I feel terrific. No stress in my back at all. Before setting my goal, I researched each exercise several times for several weeks and it has helped a lot.
    Last edited by -Superman-; 11-06-2006 at 05:10 PM.
    From 155 lbs to 200 lbs (PICS/VIDS INCLUDED)

Height: 6'0"; BW: 202lbs; Age: 24; BF: ~11%
    155lbs [07-01-06] 176lbs [09-14-06] 179lbs [09-21-06] 182lbs [10-02-06] 184lbs [10-18-06] 186lbs [10-23-06] 187lbs [11-08-06] 189lbs [11-19-06] 190lbs [11-21-06] 191lbs [12-21-06] 194lbs [12-31-06]

Bench: 250lbs; Squat: 350lbs lbs; Deadlift: 430 lbs

Military: 111lbsx8; Dips: BWx30; Pullups: BWx10; WChestP: 360lbsx7; 45LegP: 470lbsx20; C Raise: 360lbs; BB Curl: 105lbsx3; Lat Pull: 195lbsx5

Quote Originally Posted by -Superman-

Most of us WANT to feel the stress in our back, I know I don't want glutes or hams taking work away from my back on backday.

Again thanks for the advice guys. It is frustrating, since I used to be quite strong at deads. I got 360lb for a triple, and probably had 405lb in me at one point. Now I'll just have to stay light for a while.

Can anyone elaborate on this, I've never heard of using magnesium before. Also is there actually any medical truth in sleeping on the floor being good for you back?
    Hmm research on wikipedia or google even, i went and saw a holistic practitioner who told me about this, and i doubtingly spent $5.99 on some magnesium, and couldnt beleive what it did for me.

Quote Originally Posted by AzBboy
    Most of us WANT to feel the stress in our back, I know I don't want glutes or hams taking work away from my back on backday.
    I don't know about you guys but I can feel deads pretty much everywhere from the neck down. Lower back especially.

If you back isn't getting worked you are probably lifting too much with your legs. These are supposed to target the lower back. Unless you're doing hex-bar deadlifts or something which is completely different.
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

Well I tried doing heavy squats today, but my back was having none of it. Oh well, I had better take some time off or something. Training everywhere else feels fine, but I'm worried about losing muscle and strength in my legs. What's the best I can do in the meantime, leg extensions, or maybe cycle sprints?