I had a huge lay off over the summer, trained with MPs, lunges and pullups throughout July, but did more or less nothing until October. I performed deadlifts for the first time about a week ago. I think my form must have been quite poor. I worked up to about 300lbs, and it felt like a tonne (I used to find this weight to be pretty easy). Needless to say at the end of the session, my back felt shot. I did them again yesterday, but stuck at 275lbs. Acording to my friend my form was good. I felt pretty strong, and kept the reps under five, but on the third set, the pain in my back just felt that little bit too sharp. So I stopped the set there, and left the gym.
Today my back feels very stiff, I can only reach my shins if I do a standing stretch (usually I can touch at least my ankles if not my toes). My back hurts when I cough or sneeze, and it sometimes hurts when I bend over. The pain is not severe though, and is only located in a very small area at the base of my spine.
It isn't at all a problem with daily tasks, but I know for sure I wont be deading or squatting for a while.
I've booked an appointment with the doctor, but the whole process will be very slow before I find out what should be done.
I guess I'm just posting this to here similar experiences, and maybe advice with respect to training. I had planned to do dips and pull ups today, the way my back is I think this would be a possibility, but I'm not sure.

Thanks in advance.