Thread: Weighted dips

Weighted dips

What's the best way to attach the weights onto the chain belt? I use up a lot of energy just threading the chain through the plates before I can move on to the actual dips themselves. How do you guys who use multiple plates on dips do it?

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

I stand the weights up on the ground, and crouch down to slide the chains through.
    5'6", 145 lbs.

Yeah that's what I do too. Just crouch down and thread them through. I usually stand them against the actual dip station. Then I grab the plates and hold them up with my hands until the moment I'm about to grab the bars and start doing the actual dips. I don't like standing there with the weights hanging down because, as you said, it feels like it's taking a lot of energy away.

i set the plaate standing vertical(while holding it with my knees) on a flat bench and crouch down and put it through.
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

Iron man
    I know this is going to sound stupid, and I've probably done them but didn't know what they were called, but what are dips?
    Currently:
    height:5'8.5"
    weight: 143
    bench: 185
    squat: 225x15
    Goals by January '08:
    weight: 145-150
    bench: 210
    squat: 250x10

It's not a stupid question. They look like this:

They shouldn't be confused with the less effective (although still worthwhile) bench dip:

Iron man
    Well would it be considered dips if I had two bars, one on each side, and lowered myself? Because I have done those and thought that they may have been dips.
    Last edited by bodybuilderam; 11-05-2006 at 06:42 PM.
    Currently:
    height:5'8.5"
    weight: 143
    bench: 185
    squat: 225x15
    Goals by January '08:
    weight: 145-150
    bench: 210
    squat: 250x10

I'm not sure I get what you're saying. I think the animations are pretty self-explanatory.

You can also do weighted dips with a dumbell. In fact, I find it's less wieldy than using plates. Plus, DB's come in all different weights.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

The only problem with dumbells is that anything over 50-55 lb is tough to hold between your legs. And you pretty much need a spotter to get it in there properly, while with a dip belt it's not necessary.

As for different weights, well, why can't you add smaller plates too? I use one 45 lb plate and then several smaller plates, without much trouble.

Damn, I don't see how you can do them with a DB in between your legs, unless you're using less than 30 pounds.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

I use the belt, sit on a bench and put them beside me and thread them through. I dont care how high up the plates are between my legs, just as long as they are tehre :x
    My sig scared getfit.

Quote Originally Posted by Beast
    Damn, I don't see how you can do them with a DB in between your legs, unless you're using less than 30 pounds.
    Easy. I've used up to 100 lb DB's in between my legs. You have to have the kind that are rubber coated on the ends, though, otherwise they will slip out. I find the DB's to be more stable than plates, in fact, as it's easier to hold them still with my feet while dipping.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Quote Originally Posted by Tofer
    The only problem with dumbells is that anything over 50-55 lb is tough to hold between your legs. And you pretty much need a spotter to get it in there properly, while with a dip belt it's not necessary.

As for different weights, well, why can't you add smaller plates too? I use one 45 lb plate and then several smaller plates, without much trouble.
    BTW, I'm not saying to hold the DB with your feet. Just wrap the chain of the dip belt around the end of the DB and it should be able to hang as long as your gym doesn't have those bare iron, hexagonal type DB's.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal

I used to hold a dumbbell between my feet, but a belt is much easier.

i use a belt, my gym doesnt have the rubber coated ones.. anyways its just as easy..
    Height: 5'' 8
    Weight: 163-165 lbs

Guido is saying use the belt with a dumbell instead of plates.

I usually thread the weights, then rest them on a bench while I put the belt around my waist.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

I use a bench on which to rest the weight and thread the chain through. Actually I use the seat on the pull down machine becuase it is higher than most of teh benches. Keeps the crouching to a minimum.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.