The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

200 lb dumbell curl? (bet at MY job)

OK, so similar to the other bet at the office thread, there is a guy at my work claiming to be superhuman and say he can do a one arm dumbell curl of 200 lbs.

here is the guy, he is about 6'4", 250ish. he is a world champion arm wrestler who has videos online and is respected in the arm wrestling world. I won't post his name or his videos until he says it's ok(wont be til monday). he claims that he "does it all the time".

I said absolutely no way can ANYONE one arm curl 200lbs. also similar to the other bet thread, he will put "anything" on the line. I just said 100 bucks and he said we can do it any gym. Now I need to find a gym with dumbells that go to 200 lbs, I believe Golds does, will need to double check.

Here is my question, what is the most you have seen/heard/read about anyone doing in dumbell or barbell curls? I know this guy is full of it, but even WSM cant do this lift, am I wrong?
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

6'2"
    273 lbs.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

no, unless he swings the weight up with momentum and uses poor form then i can imagine someone doing 200 lb curl

I really think it would impossible not because its too heavy ( even though I've never ever heard of it being done) but because of that fact that that much weight to way to much of imbalance. Unless this guy has some shaq size hands and thick forearms I don't see it happening or even being picked up and positioned right.

Pro arm wrestler...yes I believe it can be done. He's going to do it as a preacher curl.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodninja
    Pro arm wrestler...yes I believe it can be done. He's going to do it as a preacher curl.
    I can't tell if you're serious, but that's roughly a 400lb two-hand preacher curl. Please.

with some english I'd say he could do it if he's a world class arm wrestler. smart choice in not going for $1000 lol.

Andrew
    Do what needs to be done.

Every time I was in the hole I swear a turd kissed my underwear. - Hatred
    I love snatch. I think I'm addicted to it. - Stray
    I like a woman I can climb - Jinkies
    Personally ... I'm a vagitarian - Brawl
    I don't box, but I'll have a dance off with any of you tools. When I get all my 230 lbs shaking and grooving you bet your a$$es you'll get served. - BilltheButcher

If he cheats it I could see a guy that big doing it, sure. Make him do it strapped to a tree or with his heels, ass, and shoulders remaining in contact with a wall at all times and I doubt it.
    The Reconstruction Project (Journal)

Age: 34, Height: 5'4, Weight: 185, BF: somewhere between 15 and 45%

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8
    Bests: Bench 185 x 8, Dead 400 x 1, Zercher Squat 295 x 3

Stop thinking and go lift - Paul Stagg

Iron4Life
    Now Way.. don't take the bet.. you will lose.
    There a big difference between a 155 lb office kid trying to BP what Wolfy can..
    But a world champion ARM wrestler.. you don't know, this could be one of his freak strengths..

Hmmm, World champ arm wrestler would have to be in the Elite range of humans...
    200lb dumbells is a stretch though. Are you sure he doesnt mean 200 on a preacher or something? That in itself would be impressive, but definately possible.

Current PR's (updated 19th March.)

Bench: 325lbs/ 145kgs
    Dead: 395lbs/ 180kgs
    Squat: 370lbs/ 165kgs x 1 parallel.

There is absolutely no way he can do a proper DB curl of 200lbs. As everyone else said, if he swings it...maybe. Just tell him he isn't allowed to do that =P

with swing, and even a dip, it would be tough, magnus curls 300+ with english and on a barbell, and he is one of the strongest ever.
    2000 or bust

200lb DUMBELL curls.. no way.

You're telling me that he can curl what ronnie benches?

Quote Originally Posted by Stumprrp
    with swing, and even a dip, it would be tough, magnus curls 300+ with english and on a barbell, and he is one of the strongest ever.
    Magnus does that with a barbell, which means two hands and magnus has freak strength. No way this guy does 50 pounds more then magnus.

I'm saying no way, that's almost his entire body weight. Doing proper form, there's no way. Arm wrestlers normally do have massive forearms... but I would definitely throw a hundred spot on it. You gonna videotape it?
    Last edited by DeHartD; 11-04-2006 at 09:24 AM.
    6'3"

*on the shelf*

Yeah I was very specific when we were arguing over this. I said standing still with no body english and he kept saying "all the time."

If it does happen I may tape it, but I dont want to rub it in that I was right. he is a good guy and a decent friend, so i dont want to disrespect him.

He has massive forearms, but how much does that really matter in a curl?
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

6'2"
    273 lbs.

With no body english whatsoever, no way. I think the world record on "strict barbell curls" is under 300 lbs, so there's no way he can DB curl 2/3s of that.

You can feel safe taking the bet. You could probably take the bet and allow moderate cheating.

That said, most of the time really strong guys know how strong they really are, and don't lie about it or anything. Unlike the idiot that DeHartD works with, this guy probably has a clue of what's going on.

Fun fact: AFAIK, the world record on "cheat curls" is held by Kaz, who did 350 lbs about 15 times.
    Last edited by KingJustin; 11-04-2006 at 10:05 AM.

Establish the rules before hand and then see if he still agrees to it.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

350 15 times, ok, let me kill myself NOW lol.

how big are his forearms? they play a big role in curling, but to curl a 200 lb i think you would need 18 inch forearms lol
    2000 or bust

Quote Originally Posted by MrWebb78
    If it does happen I may tape it, but I dont want to rub it in that I was right. he is a good guy and a decent friend, so i dont want to disrespect him.
    I see one of two things happening here.

1) You win the bet, take his $100, and you've negatively affected your relationship.
    2) He wins the bet, you grudgingly fork over $100, and you're left with a bad taste in your mouth, because he definitely bent the rules a little to manage 200lbs for a curl (assuming there's no way he can do it with strict form, which I believe is a fair assumption).

If this guy is a remotely decent buddy and isn't mouthing off to the whole office about how he's going to wipe the floor with you, etc., I say limit the stakes. In fact, make it something trivial - he buys you a beer, you guys get a good laugh out of it and forget about it. If this bet is in dollars, it won't bode well for ya either way, my friend.
    Last edited by McIrish; 11-04-2006 at 11:01 AM.
    25 years old, 5'10''

Back in the States to get hayooooge!

Health goals
    - Weigh a healthy and active 170-180, healthy mind and body
    - Dunk a basketball (hey a man can have big dreams huh)
    - Swim 2-3x/week and become a better swimmer

Waiting for weight! Powdered_Power's Avatar
    McIrish has a point here, if he's the person you say he is... I wouldnt be betting with him

I see two possible outcomes here:

1. He wins the bet and you have to fork over 100$
    2. He loses the bet and proceeds to beat you to a pulp with his huge forearms, you lose the contents of your wallet at the time.

On a serious note, it seems highly unlikely that he will actually be able to curl 200 lbs. By the way, wouldnt it be easier to curl 2 200lb dumbells as opposed to 1? I'm just thinking the leverage he gets while bringing one down will assist him in bringing the other up ...maybe this is an overactive imagination on my part though.
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=87300
    21 yrs
    155 lbs 01/2/07 - 167 lbs 16/3/07 -169 lbs 20/4/07
    5'10 ft

Bench: 120lbs
    DL: 160lbs
    Squat: 120lbs ON HOLD
    Total = 400lbs

Quote Originally Posted by bloodninja
    Ronnie uses 205lb dumbells to bench with, there's no way this guy can CURL one.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

So, this thread better get somewhere, unlike the other one.

Quote Originally Posted by McIrish
    2) He wins the bet, you grudgingly fork over $100, and you're left with a bad taste in your mouth, because he definitely bent the rules a little to manage 200lbs for a curl (assuming there's no way he can do it with strict form, which I believe is a fair assumption).

actually this is why I want to make a small bet. If he is superman and does it, then I dont mind paying. I enjoy watching WSM and other strength displays, there is no way I could be upset at losing a little money at something like this.

6'2"
    273 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Powdered_Power
    He loses the bet and proceeds to beat you to a pulp with his huge forearms, you lose the contents of your wallet at the time.

ok, and now back to reality.

6'2"
    273 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumprrp
    350 15 times, ok, let me kill myself NOW lol.

how big are his forearms? they play a big role in curling, but to curl a 200 lb i think you would need 18 inch forearms lol
    Unless my eyes deceive me, he has about 18 inch forearms. I'm willing to bet if they were measured they would be damn close, if not actually 18, they are awesome forearms, lean too.

6'2"
    273 lbs.