The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I really dont think it matters, 200 pounds is just insane to curl... I barely ever see guys using more then 50's to curl and hes going for 200's?

I've rarely if ever even see a 100 pound dumbell being curled, so I think a 200 is just right out of the question.

damn im jealous! i want em, haha
    2000 or bust

He's not going to do it with strict form, he's just BSin you if he says that. He's going to go to the preacher curl, do it with one dumbbell and put his left hand on the left corner and use his whole body to heave it up diagonally, just like he was arm wrestling.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodninja
    He's not going to do it with strict form, he's just BSin you if he says that. He's going to go to the preacher curl, do it with one dumbbell and put his left hand on the left corner and use his whole body to heave it up diagonally, just like he was arm wrestling.
    this is what I thought. I went over with him about 5 times to cover it all. he claims it is a standing curl, with no body english. just an honest to god 200 lb curl.

I still don't think it's possible, it just bothers me how persistent he is about being able to do it.
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

6'2"
    273 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodninja

for sure, this guy is obviously strong in the arms, but 200 lb dumbells is super human.
    6'3"

*on the shelf*

Quote Originally Posted by MrWebb78
    this is what I thought. I went over with him about 5 times to cover it all. he claims it is a standing curl, with no body english. just an honest to god 200 lb curl.

I still don't think it's possible, it just bothers me how persistent he is about being able to do it.
    ya that's exactly how this kid at work is... he acts like its not even a big deal, no matter what i say. I'm gonna take his money and laugh it up at the bar with my friends that night haha.

You should at least make this guy get the tab on a night out or something, rather than give you straight cash. Only because you said you were friends.
    6'3"

*on the shelf*

This one really is an odd situation. The world record for 1-arm strict DB curls is below 200lbs, so there's absolutely no way he can do it.

But, if the guy is a total beast and a world-class strength-athlete, he knows what a strict DB curl is, and he probably doesn't care to make **** up. It's like Ronnie Coleman telling people he is a lean 350 lbs. He just wouldn't do that.

Gamer/Lifter
    Erm, maybe we got a new world record breaker here?

I wanna see the video.

This isn't like the bet at the office.

I ain't going say he can't do it, but I got my doubts.
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press.
    "It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech.
    "It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate.
    "It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Quote Originally Posted by DeHartD
    You should at least make this guy get the tab on a night out or something, rather than give you straight cash. Only because you said you were friends.
    Yeah, that's actually a really good suggestion. I think he'd be way more willing to pay $100 in a bar tab (or less, most likely) than fork over $100 in hard cash. It'll leave less of a sting, and you can both still be friends afterwards, even though it's the same monetary value.
    25 years old, 5'10''

Back in the States to get hayooooge!

Health goals
    - Weigh a healthy and active 170-180, healthy mind and body
    - Dunk a basketball (hey a man can have big dreams huh)
    - Swim 2-3x/week and become a better swimmer

I watched one of the barbarian brothers youtube doing reps with 150's. They where just heaving it up though. Check out Bertil Fox (youtube) doing some crazy incline curls
    Remember, to get big, you have to get strong. The two are interconnected. Lift heavy, work hard, and size will come. Like night follows day. It works. Arnold
    Do work son. Big Black (Rob and Big)

Is cutting down to 9% Jordanbcool's Avatar
    Just go into this thread, heres my take.

1) I personally don't think he can do it. Not today or tomarrow or any other day with any amount of steroids/training etc. etc.

But you all have to realize how crazy we would sound if we went back in time and said we could now fly in 2006. Maybe not us, but we've made machines to do it for us. I never thought a person could lift cars but I've seen it. I've see a person balance a small car on their head.........I've seen people pull airplanes and trains like toy cars.........

I believe though, that their is essentially nothing we cannot accomplish. If we can't do it with will or power we'll make some sort of mechanical machine to do it for us.

So maybe he can't do it but I wouldnt be surprised if he did......seems pretty crazy, but you gotta remember how many insanly impossible barriers we've already shattered in our small existance as a species.
    Last edited by Jordanbcool; 11-05-2006 at 11:23 AM.
    Getting back in the groove
    "I'll tell you a secret. Something they don't teach you in your temple. The Gods envy us. They envy us because we're mortal, because any moment might be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we're doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now. We will never be here again." - Achilles, (Troy 2004)
    Stats
    ATF squat- 275 RAW
    Deadlift- 415
    Bench- Two 100lbs DB's four times
    190lbs 15% BF (Estimate)

.::.:::...:.:..:::::.::.. : Thexile's Avatar
    whats 'english'?

and

did this guy do the curl yet or what?
    nemo me impune lacessit

no, we were talking about it thrusday night, and i wont see him again til monday. I just wanted to get some opinions over the weekend. If i decide to make a bet then it wont be til midweek probably.
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

6'2"
    273 lbs.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=body%20English

body English
    n.
    Bodily movement in a usually unconscious attempt to influence the movement of a propelled object, such as a ball.

The usually irregular movement or spin of a propelled object as if it were influenced by this twisting.

a motion of the body by a player as if to make an object already propelled go in the desired direction

I'm with the dudes who say it make something like a bar tab or beer- just because you don't mind forking over dough if does miraculously do it, when he doesn't suceed (which he won't), there might be a grudge there that would strain your friendship.

Or you COULD just bet money, and when he loses play it off and give him a "nah man, just buy me some brews" and everything would be good.
    Either way, I definitely want to see a vid of this.
    530S/320B/475D
    With strength I burn

Wannabebig Member
    I think the record for dumbbell curl is 220 pounds? Barbell is 440? Set by same person I believe. I read this in an article awhile ago...i'll try and find it.

I wanna see him snap is arm while tring to dumbbell curl 200 lbs.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

Quote Originally Posted by Hoaxy
    I think the record for dumbbell curl is 220 pounds? Barbell is 440? Set by same person I believe. I read this in an article awhile ago...i'll try and find it.
    WOW...so many different "world records" for dumbell curling.

little update, since we work at UPS and get heavy packages in all the time, we happened to get a cylinder of something weighting 137 lbs, with a handle on it. this thing was the ideal shape for curling, since it was narrow enough to let him start at his side and try and pull straight up.

to his credit, it came about halfway up and made me very nervous. then it stuck and he couldnt get it. after a little ribbing he still claimed that he has done it. he said this wasn't a dumbell and he didnt even warm up. I let it go after that.

There was no bet made.

6'2"
    273 lbs.

even a half curl with 137 is impressive lol
    2000 or bust

hmmm, it would be interesting to see.

There was a guy in my platoon in the marine corps that did dumbell curls with 110's for 2 reps. He did the first rep with proper form and then threw up the second one cheating some. Guy had massive forearms and I have never met anyone that had a stronger handshake.

He was weak, on average, everywhere else except his curls.
    Tuef = "I need to get my ego stroked more often."

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyTX
    hmmm, it would be interesting to see.

There was a guy in my platoon in the marine corps that did dumbell curls with 110's for 2 reps. He did the first rep with proper form and then threw up the second one cheating some. Guy had massive forearms and I have never met anyone that had a stronger handshake.

He was weak, on average, everywhere else except his curls.
    interesting, how was his pullups or rows? bench?
    2000 or bust

Quote Originally Posted by Stumprrp
    interesting, how was his pullups or rows? bench?

His pullups were strong when we had PT. He could easily get the 20 reps, he usually stopped there, same as I, so we could save strength for the sittups and run. The only time I saw him bench was 245 x 3 and he stuggled for that.

Never saw any shoulder pressing but talking to him one day and he said his squat was his weakest and he maxed out around 265. Alot of this could be due to his height, he was roughly 6'2 to 6'3" cause I remember he appeared to be the same height as my step father.

Now I did see an amazing feat while in the Marine Corps. My drill instructor, Sgt. Puryer, did something amazing on the rope climb. He had on full gear (helmet, 85 pound pack, boots, etc) and climbed the ropes with 1 rope in each hand without using his legs at all. He swung his hips back and forth on the ropes and went all the way to the top. His back was probably the widest back I have ever seen.
    Tuef = "I need to get my ego stroked more often."

Quote Originally Posted by bill
    I watched one of the barbarian brothers youtube doing reps with 150's. They where just heaving it up though. Check out Bertil Fox (youtube) doing some crazy incline curls

I've never seen anyone do curls like that. What's the deal with those? Works triceps too or something?

This is the video in question: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ga-EAqbgD6w
    Last edited by Three; 11-07-2006 at 12:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Three
    This is the video in question: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ga-EAqbgD6w
    Incline DB curls are really good, but I don't now wtf he was doing. Guess it worked for him - his arms are huge.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties