The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Military Coup?

Wannabebig Member

Military Coup?

On Monday these words are scheduled to run in the Army, Navy, Air Force, and Marine Corps Times -

Time for Rumsfeld to go

"So long as our government requires the backing of an aroused and informed public opinion ... it is necessary to tell the hard bruising truth."

That statement was written by Pulitzer Prize-winning war correspondent Marguerite Higgins more than a half-century ago during the Korean War.

But until recently, the "hard bruising" truth about the Iraq war has been difficult to come by from leaders in Washington. One rosy reassurance after another has been handed down by President Bush, Vice President Cheney and Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld: "mission accomplished," the insurgency is "in its last throes," and "back off," we know what we're doing, are a few choice examples.

Military leaders generally toed the line, although a few retired generals eventually spoke out from the safety of the sidelines, inciting criticism equally from anti-war types, who thought they should have spoken out while still in uniform, and pro-war foes, who thought the generals should have kept their critiques behind closed doors.

Now, however, a new chorus of criticism is beginning to resonate. Active-duty military leaders are starting to voice misgivings about the war's planning, execution and dimming prospects for success.

Army Gen. John Abizaid, chief of U.S. Central Command, told a Senate Armed Services Committee in September: "I believe that the sectarian violence is probably as bad as I've seen it ... and that if not stopped, it is possible that Iraq could move towards civil war."

Last week, someone leaked to The New York Times a Central Command briefing slide showing an assessment that the civil conflict in Iraq now borders on "critical" and has been sliding toward "chaos" for most of the past year. The strategy in Iraq has been to train an Iraqi army and police force that could gradually take over for U.S. troops in providing for the security of their new government and their nation.

But despite the best efforts of American trainers, the problem of molding a viciously sectarian population into anything resembling a force for national unity has become a losing proposition.

For two years, American sergeants, captains and majors training the Iraqis have told their bosses that Iraqi troops have no sense of national identity, are only in it for the money, don't show up for duty and cannot sustain themselves.

Meanwhile, colonels and generals have asked their bosses for more troops. Service chiefs have asked for more money.

And all along, Rumsfeld has assured us that things are well in hand.

Now, the president says he'll stick with Rumsfeld for the balance of his term in the White House.

This is a mistake.

It is one thing for the majority of Americans to think Rumsfeld has failed. But when the nation's current military leaders start to break publicly with their defense secretary, then it is clear that he is losing control of the institution he ostensibly leads.

These officers have been loyal public promoters of a war policy many privately feared would fail. They have kept their counsel private, adhering to more than two centuries of American tradition of subordination of the military to civilian authority.

And although that tradition, and the officers' deep sense of honor, prevent them from saying this publicly, more and more of them believe it.

Rumsfeld has lost credibility with the uniformed leadership, with the troops, with Congress and with the public at large. His strategy has failed, and his ability to lead is compromised. And although the blame for our failures in Iraq rests with the secretary, it will be the troops who bear its brunt.

This is not about the midterm elections. Regardless of which party wins Nov. 7, the time has come, Mr. President, to face the hard bruising truth:

Donald Rumsfeld must go.
    How do you guys interpret this?

I don't know about these papers - how much control the military has over what's published in them. It's not clear to me who wrote these words, and who is standing behind them. In the least case, it's extraordinary, and very obviously and purposely meant to throw the congressional election to the Democrats. In the greatest/worst case, it means the military has thrown down the guantlet to Bush and may have other plans in the works if he doesn't listen. Either way, this is the closest the U.S. has ever been to a military coup and it is scary stuff.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I'm not too worried about it.

Neither am I. America is too big to take with a coup and there's too many people still backing the government to successfully remain in power. To pull a coup off you either need to a) have the overwhelming support of the people (or at least a state of absolute neutrality or b) have a fighting force that so outclasses the rabble that any attempt to resist means certain death. Neither of these are the case.
    The Reconstruction Project (Journal)

Age: 34, Height: 5'4, Weight: 185, BF: somewhere between 15 and 45%

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8
    Bests: Bench 185 x 8, Dead 400 x 1, Zercher Squat 295 x 3

Stop thinking and go lift - Paul Stagg

Um, they're privately owned papers.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    Um, they're privately owned papers.
    True, but consider this - if the editorial had run in Stars and Stripes, there wouldn't be any wiggle room about it, it'd be mutiny. Running in the Times gives plausible deniability. It sends the message, but gives us a way out without things getting nasty.

I agree that it isn't a military coup like we would see in other countries - but there's no doubt in my mind what the timing of the editorial is meant to do. There's no reason why it couldn't have been released a week later, after the election has been held, unless they want to influence the election. Look at the timing of the leak too - perfect for it to be a hot, breaking story on the sunday talking head shows.

Maybe the editors came up with this plan all on their own - seems like an awful big move to make if the military isn't onboard.
    Last edited by Jack the R; 11-04-2006 at 02:10 PM.

Gamer/Lifter
    Rumsfield is cutting back.

He is cutting money major time, they fired the yard poeple, and maid service for my dads shop. So now instead of loading up generators to get sent down range, they are picking weeds, and sweeping thier floor.

He is also seriously undermanned because of budget cuts. His shop needs 14 guys to keep a good running shop. He currently has 5. And they have to take care of the yard, and clean all the time. So they are way behind schedule.

Rumsfield is a moron and needs to be tooken out of office.
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press.
    "It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech.
    "It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate.
    "It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Quote Originally Posted by Nik00117
    tooken
    TAKEN!!!
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

Wannabebig Member
    Grammer-nazi on a weightlifting forum?

O.K., I officially apologize for EVERYTHING I used to think about muscle heads. You guys are total geeks, I don't know how I missed it!