The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Powerlifting and training with Olympic lifts

Do many powerlifters also train olympic lifts as part of their routines?

Can anyone point me in the direction of some routines which incorporate both powerlifting and olympic lifting.
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

To the best of my knowledge, Travis Mash has a fondness for olympic lifts. I think you can check out his log on EliteFTS.
    Last edited by RickTheDestroyer; 10-12-2006 at 06:49 AM.
    530S/320B/475D
    With strength I burn

Iron4Life
    Well.. considering that your 1st PL competition is in 2 days... I don't think OL is going to help at this point... lol

However, I think you will find a lot of PL'ers doing some OL'ing... even at the Westside level of PL pros - although they mask some of their OL'ing with Kettlebell work. (http://www.westside-barbell.com/Arti...ettleBells.pdf)

In general, any OL'ing is going to help build your explosiveness and your grip.. PowerCleans, Hang Cleans, Jump Cleans, etc.. Overhead Squats will really strengthen your core... Push Presses will build strong shoulders... Front Squats will help with your balance and Quad strength... and Romainian DLs really help with the hammies..

good luck..

Quote Originally Posted by deeder
    Do many powerlifters also train olympic lifts as part of their routines?

Can anyone point me in the direction of some routines which incorporate both powerlifting and olympic lifting.
    Bruce Wilhelm, who won the first two WSM, was an O-lifter/powerlifter who ran track back in his school days. While everyone else was carrying fridges and doing crazy stuff, he was just doing his O-lifts and managed to beat out a lot of strong competitors.

Bearwolf - You're a smart ass.

Rick and Dinosaur - Thanks for the info guys! I'll do some searching with that.
    Full Powerlifting
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)

I know a lot of guys who mix in some Oly with their PLing, including myself. I usually keep it on a separate day from my other stuff, and I don't do too much. I have noticed my strength go up faster since I started incorporating snatches, cleans, and push presses into my routine, though.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Do that voodoo that he do
    I'll do that and often do some cleans or snatches as a supplemental exercise on my dynamic lower body days.

Once in a great while I'll rotate split jerks or push-presses into my ME upper body workouts, but that's more to alleviate boredom than it is to really increase my bench.

Another thing I do fairly often is incorporate sub-maximal cleans and snatches (with barbells, dumbbells, or kettlebells) into my conditioning workouts or as accessory exercises for my upper back. I think they provide an element of athleticism and conditioning that is often lacking in pure powerlifting programs. Remember, it almost never hurts you to be a bit more athletic, and if all else is equal, the more athletic lifter will win.
    Be a man. Be awesome at it. Be proud of it. Beyond the Barbell

"Borris is correct. That sounds logical if you ask me."
    -galileo

This is only a suggestion.
    Mon
    Squat
    Bench
    DL
    Wednesday
    Clean
    Jerk/Push Press
    Snatch
    Fri
    Squat
    Bench
    DL

borris summed it up perfectly, a PL/OLY program would build one hell of an athlete, and what cosmic posted is a good idea also.
    2000 or bust

coming from a group of power lifters, I can provide some of my exp.

Oly lifting will help but it will impact your lifting for a competition. I would limit the Oly lifting before you compete.

Also training both hard can lead to knee problems. 3 out of 5 guys had to take breaks. Not to discourage but the joints need rest some times.

I train both but put one before the other when it comes to training weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepy Guy
    Also training both hard can lead to knee problems. 3 out of 5 guys had to take breaks. Not to discourage but the joints need rest some times.
    Do Power Cleans & Snatches.

Thanks for all the input guys!

I haven't been worrying about putting oly lifts in my routine yet because I'm going to another competition in 3 weeks.

But after that I'm going to take a week off and put together something that will (hopefully) give me the best of both worlds.
    Full Powerlifting