Thread: Shoes for Olympic weightlifting?

Wannabebig Member

Shoes for Olympic weightlifting?

The university gym I train at will open the expanded section tomorrow / Monday (it's officially Monday, but I'm hoping to use the new section tomorrow).

The expansion includes a weight room with two Olympic lifting platforms and colored bumper plates.

At the moment, I wear a low-top Adidas basketball shoe ("Top Ten") with a flat sole.

Is this shoe fine for snatches and clean and jerks?

If not, then what are some (less expensive, readily available) substitutes to Adidas's [expensive] weightlifting shoes?
    Last edited by erik-the-red; 11-04-2006 at 10:01 AM.

Runners are not good. Get a pair of shoes with very little sole on them. The idea is to limit the ammount of compression in the sole. The compression causes the body to adjust to the movement and will distract from the lift. Have you ever felt off balance or swaying while lifting or squating?

You can train is socks as an alternitive.

I bought a pair of those trendy shoes down at the bay, that have a 1cm thick sole with very little padding and they changed my whole work out.

My advise, ditch the runners.
    Last edited by Sleepy Guy; 11-04-2006 at 10:13 AM.

Wannabebig Member
    Do basketball shoes count as running shoes?

I don't think I've ever felt off balance or swayed when I lifted or squated.

I was thinking about socks or going barefoot. What about the possibility of slipping when wearing socks?

Wannabebig Member
    Training in socks is generally not encouraged with very heavy weights, I can't remember the mechanics, but Rippetoe talks about it in SS.

Training in any flat, hard soled shoe would be fine - converse are a perfect example. You will see that the pros train with a heel to their shoe, although it makes them loose some push out of the squat it helps the stability.

Converse chuck taylors are a very stirdy flat shoe. Great for lifting.

Wannabebig Member
    Why does the raised heel give more stability? I learned from this article that the modern weightlifting shoe gives the lifter sufficient ankle flexibility to carry out the lifts, but I did not understand why a raised heel was necessary / advantageous.

Wannabebig Member
    It positions the leg better to get deeper depth. Personally, I would just buy a pair of olymic weightlifting shoes, either the adidas ironworks II or the Do-Wins. I think with the do-wins you will save some money, maybe 40 bucks.
    Please contact Daniel Clough about advertising. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty
    Converse chuck taylors are a very stirdy flat shoe. Great for lifting.
    Chucks are fine for powerlifting, I guess, but they are not for Olympic lifting.

Get some decent shoes if you can. I'm not talking about any here necessarily, but it always amazes me that people will think nothing of shelling out a hundred bucks for basketball shoes but not be willing to invest that in a good pair of shoes for lifting. Here are some more reasonable shoes for OL: http://store.wfwclub.com/?gclid=CJbr...FQ9OWAodOGo-7A
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Wannabebig Member
    I would recommend Wrestling shoes. They are cheap, have a very thin sole, and provide awesome ankle support. I've been using them for years.
    Last edited by NewTriathlete; 11-09-2006 at 03:14 PM.

(1) You don't want ankle support. (2) You want a hard shoe with a heel.

I.e. probably not wrestling shoes.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

PoutineEh
    are olympic shoes recommended if you arent going to do oly lifts? right now i have regular adidas running shoes for working out. i still do deadlifts/squats/bent over bb rows etc..
    im just wondering since my parents asked what i wanted for christmas and i cant think of anything and wondered if i should get a pair. are there better shoes out there for the main lifts, or would olympic shoes be a good choice?
    who knows, maybe in the future ill take up olympic lifting...
    yes/no?
    Last edited by PoutineEh; 11-09-2006 at 07:10 PM.

They good for narrow stance squatting, but not wide PL style. They're mediocre for deads.

You can always buy a $20 pair of chucks for powerlifting.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

PoutineEh
    yea i might do that. seems like a slight waste to spend $100, although i think chucks are some of the ugliest shoes, but it doesnt matter in the gym, anyway.

edit:
    i have an old pair of skate boarding shoes at my house. they are pretty worn in, but they look similar to these:
    http://www.bandmerch.com/java2/BandM...mages/918T.png

would something like that be good? seems to have a pretty flat sole. does it matter at all that they are pretty worn in?
    Last edited by PoutineEh; 11-09-2006 at 09:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    They good for narrow stance squatting, but not wide PL style.
    I know the WS mantra pretty well, but why do you say that Mix?

The reason I ask is that I just haven't found that to be the case. It took a few weeks to get used to squatting in a heel, but that was it.
    Last edited by Sensei; 11-10-2006 at 07:38 AM.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/