The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Help for a Starter

Hey guys, my name is Chris and I want to start getting into weightlifting. I am 17, almost 18, years old and figure it will be easier to get in shape young and maintain it while you grow older than to start old. I am very much so on the scrawny side weighing in at a whopping 135lbs at 5'9". I told my parents to start buying better food for me instead of the usual junk and I plan on buying around 200lbs of weights with an olympic bar and a nice bench/squat rack. I have the money and know what Im getting, it should arrive in a couple of weeks. Since i dont have a lot of fancy equipment I plan on sticking to the basics such as squats, bench presses, dead lifts, powercleans, etc along with smaller exercises targeting smaller muscles more effectively. I am planning on keeping track of what I eat and dropping all sodas/gatorades replacing them with water. My main fear is, while bulking, that I gain weight and little muscle resulting in becoming merely fat instead of bigger. Is this a paranoia? As long as i keep to my routine and eat right, this should not be a problem right? I would also appreciate any motivational tips that you all have. I look foward to becoming healthier and stronger.
    Thx in advance
    Chris

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Banned
    First off, welcome to the board!

Worrying about getting fat is not paranoia. As long as you keep your diet under control, gaining quality mass shouldn't be a problem - especially for a newbie.
    You have to realise that to gain muscle, you NEED to eat more. This means that you will eventuall be eating a LOT of food.
    Your first step, in terms of diet, should be to clean it up. Cut out the **** and replace it with good whole foods. Once that is done, track your calories at www.fitday.com for a few days without changing anything. Average out your numbers and that will give you a good idea of your maintenance calories. Eat above that to gain weight, below to lose.

Most importantly read everything you can, ask questions and learn. A good place to start would be with the stickies in each forum here.

Good luck!

If you track your diet well, and lift heavy, I would say it is paranoia. I have been bad on my bulk, not that clean. Just ate 6 oatmeal cookies and currently eating a pint of Ben and Jerrys. Almost 4 weeks into my bulk I look leaner then when I was cutting. Clothes are tighter in chest/arms, not in the waist. Lifts are going up. I was affraid to bulk too but people shouldn't be.
    Nick V

Chris, welcome to the board.

I cannot emphasize enough the importance of tracking your food. www.fitday.com for about a week to find what your current maintenance is.

Once you have that, read the red "diet" link in my sig. It'll get you started in discovering your dietary needs.

What lifting routine will you be using?

Wannabebig Member
    DO NOT USE A BELT for squats or deadlifts. Keep all the pressure on your back on back deadlifts and leave the back of the leg press machine declined. also, on squats, never lean over trying to push more weight up, I have a HORRIBLE hernia scare right now.

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks for all of the pointers guys. I plan on using a routine i saw on some other post around these forums...sorry i cant give credit to whoever posted...didnt catch the name
    Day 1- Squats 3x5, Bench 3x5, Powerclean 3x5
    day 2- rest
    day3- squats 3x5, press 3x5, deadlift 2x5
    day 4-rest
    day 5- repeat day 1
    days 6&7- rest

I plan on adding in a couple of little lifts to target areas such as forearms and shoulders/upper back. Is this a good place to start and see how I progress with this routine. I plan to work abs on two of the days also. I am telling my parents to stop buying junk food and buy...well im about to check out the recipe section to see some good foods but im assuming nuts, eggs, chicken/beef/fish, milk, water, maybe granola bars?
    Well im really excited to get started...until my equipment arives, Im using my neighborhood gym which is very under-equiped with merely a bench (no rack), about 100lbs in weights, a small barbell and 2 dumbells. Luckily no one is ever in there so i usually can use whatever I want. Thanks again for all the help.

Chris

Granola bars are just square cookies.

They're crap.

Eggs, meat, cottage cheese, natty PB, raw nuts, veggies, fruit, oatmeal, sweet potatoes, olive oil, butter, creatine, fish oil.

Food food food.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGuru
    Thanks for all of the pointers guys. I plan on using a routine i saw on some other post around these forums...sorry i cant give credit to whoever posted...didnt catch the name
    Day 1- Squats 3x5, Bench 3x5, Powerclean 3x5
    day 2- rest
    day3- squats 3x5, press 3x5, deadlift 2x5
    day 4-rest
    day 5- repeat day 1
    days 6&7- rest
    That is essentially the "Rippetoe" routine, and it flat out works. Lift hard, eat right, and watch your numbers increase.

For more info on Rippetoe check out his book "Starting Strength" at your local library or pick up a copy at Amazon. It has TONS of valuable info [and photos] on heavy lifting, especially on proper form.

Make sure the "3x5" is three working sets. Warmup sets should never be neglected, but they don't count as part of the 3x5.

Good luck.