The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

so whats with my deload?

ok so i reached the 4 week point in my program and went into deload. so tonight i was starting back to the regular routine with lower reps and more weight, and it felt like a lost most of my gains! i started benching and i couldn't complete the set. this is really a let down to me. any ideas of what went wrong?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Did you ramp back up?
    Height: 5'11.5"
    Weight: 170 pounds, 3:30 p.m. on 4/13/10

Were you ready for a deload?
    Were you ready for more weight?
    How experienced are you?
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

ive been lifting for over a year now, def in better shape then when i started but never really pushed myself to add alot of weight until bout 2 months ago, i was at the same weight i left off at before deload and now i cant get a set down. it sucks

At your stage it would probably be best to ramp back up after a deload. Start back with 80% and build back up 5 or 10 lbs a week.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

silly question but if you start too heavy, as in over 80% of your max, do you NOT make good gains? can you increase weight faster by starting lighter?? stupid question i knw but ive never seen anyone ask it

Starting lighter keeps you from hitting the wall too early. If you start lighter and build up slowly, you give your body a chance to adapt to the new loads. Like when you stall, you drop the weights back, build them back up slowly, and you will surpass your old lifts. It's called adaptation.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

I'm under the impression you should not deload until you've hit a wall in your progress.

Starting light and progressing from there allows all of your tissues and systems to keep up with each other.

For example, muscle adapts much quicker than your bones/tendons/ligaments. You can run in to some issues if you get the muscular strength, but not the other connective tissue to support it. I ran in to this issue with my shoulders, and deloading corrected it.

Deloading, prematurely or not, can temporarily decrease strength. You must keep lifting, eating and resting to break through.
    Last edited by Raleighwood; 03-05-2010 at 06:20 AM.
    My 10 week cut results

"Sweat in training so you don't bleed in battle."

The last two posts are right on... and I've experienced the ligaments not keeping up with the muscles also. It's depressing.
    "There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." --James Madison, speech to the Virginia Ratifying Convention, 1788

it's def depressing lol but i dont let that stop me. give myself a minute to loath, then i erase it lol. yea def need to wait a lil longer until im completely unable to increase weight. Deloading isn't something ive had much knowledge of until recently so thanks for the input. thanks for the help

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by runriot26 View Post
    it's def depressing lol but i dont let that stop me. give myself a minute to loath, then i erase it lol. yea def need to wait a lil longer until im completely unable to increase weight. Deloading isn't something ive had much knowledge of until recently so thanks for the input. thanks for the help
    The 5/3/1 routine has you deload after every 3 weeks...It is designed so you can make tiny,consistent, incremental gains.