The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Wannabebig Member

Targetting the major pectorals

I've got a bench and a bar along with dumbells. I've been doing the whole bench press thing and the butterflies with the dumbells don't seem to do anything for me. I can really feel it in my minor pectorals (outter) but I can't seem to target the majors (inner).

Anyone have a certain exercise for targetting those? Keeping in mind what equipment I have avaliable....

Thanks

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

There is no "inner" and "outer" chest.

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

BG beat me to it. You can't isolate parts of your chest. Just work on getting your chest bigger and focus on progressing.

genetics. the way your chest develops is not dependant on how you work it out, its bassed on your genetics. give it time. as for exersices to do. keep doing flat bench,flyes, mabye some incline bench. and depending on where your hands are on the bar will make results vary. wide grip hits chest more, close grip hits tris more.
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

There ARE inner and outter chest muscles. Except you've got them backward. The major is the outside and broken into the clavicular head, and the sternal head. The minor connects from your shoulder to your rib cage, beneath you major. The sternal head is the largest muscle in your chest.
    Quote Originally Posted by RhodeHouse View Post
    "Any man under 200lbs is a woman." -Matt Rhodes

next-tyson-but-white arnoldsclone's Avatar
    here's something i learned from ronnie coleman, go to a cable machine a cybex one, and then put two d handles on and put the pullies at their lowest notch, now keep your elbows straight and cross your arms at the wrists in front of your chest slowly, it's like a hug. this is called a low cable cross. it is the only exercise that isolates your upper inner chest near your neck and collar bone, it gives you cleavage flies really thicken your outer chest. if you're having trouble feeling the burn and soreness in your chest, try doing a 4 by 4 or 5 by 5 day, or do something out of the ordinary like a ton of push ups with good form. good luck- just tryin' to help-

heavy weight always stimulates my chest!
    Last edited by arnoldsclone; 11-07-2006 at 08:32 AM.

Ahnold says, " milk is for babies!"
    "deadlift if you know"- myself
    Boxing/ working out 5 days a week!
    6'1"- 230lbs-and bulking till i can't stand the mirror
    Former fatass- whent from 302lbs to 207 lbs rippling 05-06
    bench 315
    deadlift 455
    squat 405
    big 3 total = 1175 lbs of RAW IRON!!!MUAHAHAHAHAHA

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mik

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's impossible to contract one head of the pectoralis major without contracting the other head as well as pectoralis minor. It's physiologically impossible. The pectoralis major originates from the clavicle and sternum and inserts into the humerus. It acts to adduct and flex the humerus. Any movement like that is going to contract both heads. The reason why we do inclined, flat and declined is to work the different stabilization muscles of each exercise, right? To develope overall strength.

Wannabebig Member
    hmm well which is it then? Are they two "areas" of the chest and can you isolate one or the other? Getting both answers here.

no you cant isolate them.

Just lift heavy compunds, and it will work it self out.

EDIT: Mik beat me too it.
    Last edited by ddegroff; 11-07-2006 at 11:32 AM.
    Make Shift IF diet
    My Training Experience
    GET BODY SMART
    Goals:
    CF WOD and Recomp...
    "My fault. I was fiddling with the Gravitational Constant of the Universe again.
    I've set it back - you might need to reboot, though..." -Built

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal--
    nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong attitude" - Thomas J

"Obsessed is what the lazy call the dedicated" - Slim Schaedle

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by pepsihatman
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's impossible to contract one head of the pectoralis major without contracting the other head as well as pectoralis minor. It's physiologically impossible. The pectoralis major originates from the clavicle and sternum and inserts into the humerus. It acts to adduct and flex the humerus. Any movement like that is going to contract both heads. The reason why we do inclined, flat and declined is to work the different stabilization muscles of each exercise, right? To develope overall strength.
    hey a newbie that knows physiology....that's rare.

OP: read this post.

Quote Originally Posted by Mik
    :withstupi
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

Quote Originally Posted by RedSpikeyThing
    hey a newbie that knows physiology....that's rare.

OP: read this post.
    *bows* ty ty.

I am working on becoming a nurse. Going through anatomy right now. I asked a lot of these questions before actually starting to lift and got some reliable answers. I think that's the smart way to go about things.

edit: I just read that. It explains quite a bit. Good article.
    Last edited by pepsihatman; 11-07-2006 at 04:16 PM.

pepsihatman: Good post.

To the OP: http://www.guidoandluigi.com/strips/2006-11-05.jpg
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

ok after watching this http://thefitshow.com/week3/milos_chest_large.htm he says theres a "outer", "inner", "upper", and "lower"... although you cant isolate a certain one but you can target it with the proper technique.
    Last edited by Sontizzle; 11-08-2006 at 09:29 AM.
    Height: 5'10"
    Starting Weight: 135-140lbs (August 1st 2006)
    Current Weight: got up to 177 but got it back down to 170lbs
    Current Goal: cutting

If you read that article, it is saying that you are causing different fibers or portions of the muscle to shorten or stretched more than others when you do these different lifts. But, it also goes to say that there is no evidence that the shortening or stretching does not promote growth in that area of the muscle.

Taken from said article:
    "Many proponents of the so-called “isolation” approach to training claim that this proportionally greater shortening of the fibers equates to greater tension in the “target” region than in others, and therefore stimulates greater adaptation; but this is completely at odds with the cross-bridge model of muscle contraction which clearly shows that as fiber length decreases tension also declines due to increasing overlap and interference in the area of the cross-bridges. Some also contend that the fibers called upon to shorten to a greater degree tend to fatigue faster than others and that therefore there is greater overall fiber recruitment in the region where this occurs, and thus a greater stimulus to growth; but there is no evidence to suggest that a fiber fatigues faster in one position than in another in relation to other fibers in the same muscle. In fact it has been shown that Time Under Tension (TUT) is the determining factor in fatigue and not fiber length. In fact fiber recruitment tends to increase in a very uniform fashion throughout an entire muscle as fatigue sets in."

I hope this helps a bit. From my research into the matter, the shape of the outer, inner, upper, and lower portions of your pectoralis major is maily genetic. It will change over time and with further developement. This article also stated that with developement, the differences in these areas of the muscle will be less apparent.

Edit: I also wanted to say that this is my interpretation of the article and my understanding of physiology. I can still be wrong, so please show me some contrary evidence if you know otherwise. I'll be glad to listen/read.
    Last edited by pepsihatman; 11-08-2006 at 10:00 AM.

OMG why cant everyone new to the forum be as humble yet edcuated as yourself

Height: 6'2
    Weight: 195 (01JAN09)
    B/F: 11%
    Goal Weight: 210
    Starting weight: 150 (10/1/04)

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    :withstupi
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Quote Originally Posted by ancom41
    *shrug* I might be crazy, but I like to learn.

Iron man
    Quote Originally Posted by detard
    wide grip hits chest more, close grip hits tris more.

Also, my dad tells me to put my grip to where my forearms are straight up and down when you do the wide grip.
    Currently:
    height:5'8.5"
    weight: 143
    bench: 185
    squat: 225x15
    Goals by January '08:
    weight: 145-150
    bench: 210
    squat: 250x10

There are no limits DaoineSidhe's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ancom41
    Because we all can't train to become a nurse?

We all have to start somewhere. These forums are a good place for a lot of use newbies.
    Height: 5'5
    Weight: 195
    Body Fat: 30% (from an online measuring formula)
    Goal: get to 170, be 15% bf or lower, and to eat a healthier diet

Quote Originally Posted by DaoineSidhe
    Because we all can't train to become a nurse?

We all have to start somewhere. These forums are a good place for a lot of use newbies.
    I completely agree with the "we all have to start somewhere" part. I started asking a lot of these tuttut or questions. I started with two 25lbs dumbells thinking I could do all the exercises I needed to "tone" my body. Haha... Only now do I realize how naive I was. Through reliable research and excellent advice I have learned a phenomenal amount. I've also learned not to trust every muscle-bound gym-goer as their success may be mostly genetic (even if they follow their own bad advice.)

Edit: and lol, yes. There is a hell of a lot of reading for nursing (damn anatomy figures.) I have to know most of the nerves in the human body (as well as a sheep's brain) in less than 3 weeks for my lab practical exam. *sigh* I'll get there eventually.

Goals: Lift 205 Bench, 315 deadlift, 285 squat, and be able to get a damn nursing job.
    Last edited by pepsihatman; 11-08-2006 at 08:12 PM.

try different exersizes, heavy decline makes my chest feel like its going to explode, but thats me, or maybe you can try very deep dumbbell bench, but that might hurt your shoulders.

what ever you do make sure diet is in check
    2000 or bust