The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 32 of 32
  1. #26
    Senior Member RichMcGuire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,234
    Im really tired of people saying they cant isolate. Try doing flies before your presses..but contract and squeeze your chest very forcefully at the top of the movement..this will indeed stress your inner chest harder and preexhaust it for your presses. Your chest is made up of 2 major fan regions. And yes, you can overstress the top fan with incline presses. Overstressibng in comparison to the lower section is basically isolating your upper chest to a degree. If you truly cant isolate anything to no degree..then dont waste your time doing incline benches..just do flat's and you can grow your own set of man boobs.

  2. #27
    260(-62) from 193 from 275
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Oshawa-->Toronto
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMcGuire
    Im really tired of people saying they cant isolate.
    Do you spend alot of time reading the hard science that exerscise physiology is based on.

    Biomechanics teaches us that a muscle could rip itself apart if various parts became stronger.

    Neurology teaches us that muscles are innervated by a single pattern regardless of what exercise we do. That muscle is electronically/chemically activated the same way regardless of what exercise you do or what it says in Myth & Fiction.

    The Fitness Industry is a 1 billion dollar industry.
    --Dairy Queens Blizzard pulls in 3/4 of a billion.
    --------------We are the elite.------------

  3. #28
    Senior Member pepsihatman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    204
    Quote Originally Posted by Holto
    Do you spend alot of time reading the hard science that exerscise physiology is based on.

    Biomechanics teaches us that a muscle could rip itself apart if various parts became stronger.

    Neurology teaches us that muscles are innervated by a single pattern regardless of what exercise we do. That muscle is electronically/chemically activated the same way regardless of what exercise you do or what it says in Myth & Fiction.
    Exactly! The pectoral muscles, for example, don't have enough sensitivity to stimulate just a few motor units and not the others.

  4. #29
    Go Heels! MixmasterNash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Posts
    10,215
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMcGuire
    Overstressibng in comparison to the lower section is basically isolating your upper chest to a degree.s.
    On the other hand, it's not at all like isolating because that's not what the word means in the English language.

    The journal / I live here.

    If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

  5. #30
    Senior Member RichMcGuire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,234
    You need to look it up more. There are ways to seperate sections of your muscles in more vulnerable positions. While its not completely isolating, it is creating different work loads. but like I said, if everything Ive heard is true, why dont you stick to flat barbell presses forever? do you think you might develop droopy pecs? Sure, incline presses targets the whole chest but your upper chest is in a stronger position. I donno about you, but I think I'll stick to a variety of angles

  6. #31
    260(-62) from 193 from 275
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Oshawa-->Toronto
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMcGuire
    You need to look it up more.
    I don't read muscle comic books. I read material that deals with hard science.

    If you can point to some articles that deal with targetting sections of a muscle in the context of science ie: biomechanics and neurology I would be very interested in reading.

    I have never read anything intelligently written, based on science, that claimed you could do what you are claiming.

    The Fitness Industry is a 1 billion dollar industry.
    --Dairy Queens Blizzard pulls in 3/4 of a billion.
    --------------We are the elite.------------

  7. #32
    Senior Member pepsihatman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    204
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMcGuire
    You need to look it up more. There are ways to seperate sections of your muscles in more vulnerable positions. While its not completely isolating, it is creating different work loads. but like I said, if everything Ive heard is true, why dont you stick to flat barbell presses forever? do you think you might develop droopy pecs? Sure, incline presses targets the whole chest but your upper chest is in a stronger position. I donno about you, but I think I'll stick to a variety of angles
    I would think that most people train other angles in order to train the muscles used to stabilize those different position as well. To help develope overall strength.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •