The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Abdominals are highly under-rated

So like recently I've been making pretty good gains, but they started to wear out not so much because I'm a lifting machine, but mainly because my abs couldn't support me. I'd attempt to bicep curl, and my body would rock back and forth, taxing my form and making me have to swing even further. Tricep cable pulldowns - same story. It was my abs that prevented me from going further. I deadlift and squat regularly, so it's not like I was totally neglecting my core. Now that I actually started weighted ab work (last ab-workout was oh, let's see...two years ago!), my lifts are increasing again.

Work abs.

That is all.

-D

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

If you are swining around to do arm isolation exercises you are using to much weight.

That is all.

So like, :withstupi

That is all.
    Last edited by Jorge Sanchez; 11-07-2006 at 06:58 AM.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Sanchez
    So like, :withstupi

That is all.
    LOL. Agreed.

Wannabebig Member
    No, that's not all.

If I were using too much weight, then i'd feel pressure on my biceps/triceps. I was in a position in which my abdominal muscles could not stabilise my body through the lift.

And since after focusing some time and effort on my abdominals the problem has gone away, I can now safely infer that I am correct and that you are wrong. But i'm not here to stroke my ego. I'm here to better myself and share my experiences in reaching my goals. If anyone else is in this position, try focusing on abs like I did, and you may see results.

Now, any CONSTRUCTIVE comments/criticism?

Core strength is everything.

When we say abs are overated we refer to the 6 pack which has everyone in awe while big shoulders seem to mean nothing.

I agree with Jinkies. I wasn't saying that core/abdominal strength isn't improtant, I was just saying that your abdominal strength, or lack thereof, is not the reason you couldn't do proper curls.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

Tricep pushdowns are great core work.

Keep in mind the core consists of many more muscles than just the abdomen.

Quote Originally Posted by DAN13L
    No, that's not all.

If I were using too much weight, then i'd feel pressure on my biceps/triceps. I was in a position in which my abdominal muscles could not stabilise my body through the lift.

And since after focusing some time and effort on my abdominals the problem has gone away, I can now safely infer that I am correct and that you are wrong. But i'm not here to stroke my ego. I'm here to better myself and share my experiences in reaching my goals. If anyone else is in this position, try focusing on abs like I did, and you may see results.

Put yur back agaisnt a wall when curling and see if you have the same problem. If you can't lift the weight, then the weight you've been using is just too heavy. If you can do it no problem, then the problem is in fact your "core" stabilizer muscles.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Some people can get away without any specialized exercises for abs, but I think most people would be better off including at least a few.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

I agree. Weighted ab work has helped me a lot as far as stability on squats, deads, etc.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Is cutting down to 9% Jordanbcool's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by betastas
    Keep in mind the core consists of many more muscles than just the abdomen.
    Great thing to point out.
    Getting back in the groove
    "I'll tell you a secret. Something they don't teach you in your temple. The Gods envy us. They envy us because we're mortal, because any moment might be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we're doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now. We will never be here again." - Achilles, (Troy 2004)
    Stats
    ATF squat- 275 RAW
    Deadlift- 415
    Bench- Two 100lbs DB's four times
    190lbs 15% BF (Estimate)

No, that's not all.

Maybe your top heavy?

No and then!

Height: 6'2
    Weight: 195 (01JAN09)
    B/F: 11%
    Goal Weight: 210
    Starting weight: 150 (10/1/04)

not sure i never do ab work and my stability is fine, the only stability problem i had is with really heavy rack squats, ryan may be able to vouch for this, i know he does them too.
    2000 or bust

The only reason the 6-pack is overrated is because it looks good and girls like it, and the main reason alot of people are in the gym is girls. You can be the biggest, cuttest guy out there but if you got a beer belly alot of chicks wont give you a second glance. Now, you pull that shirt of an got that sixy it gets em everytime.
    Don't Cry Because Its Over; Smile Because It's Happened
    Shut Up and Do Some Deadlifts

As of 11/13/06

Age - 19
    Ht - 6'2''
    Weight - 260lbs x 1 (goal -20lbs)
    Bench - 260lbs x 1 (goal +40lbs)
    Squat - 550lbs x 1 (happy for now)
    Deadlift - 405 x 1 after 2 sets of 6 with 315 (goal +95lbs)
    Supplements - Whey Protein, Fish Oil, Multi-Vitamin.
    outnumber

PGreezy, i know, it sucks, haha, i still dont see how they cant like a massive man with broad bowling ball shoulders watermelon pecs python arms and a airplane wide back, lol
    2000 or bust