Thread: Sports Specific Training

Sports Specific Training

It's been a while guys!

I'm in the process of training to walk onto my college football team in 14 months. While I know quite a bit about strength routines and bodybuilding routines, i need something sports specific and where i can incorporate running (plyos, speed work, agility, technique drills) also I need to concentrate more on Core work (this is the area i need help most in, in terms of putting this into a routine, and what exercises do to). I'm looking for a routine that will give me strength as well as explosivness. I like the idea of Westside, which incorporates both of those. However some people say novice or intermediate lifters shouldn't use that program. I'm also wondering about leg recovery, if I'm hitting legs 2x a week in the gym and I want to incorporate 3 days minimun to running (b/c speed is extremly important) I'm worried about recovery. I would like to note that my running sessions are straight and to the point, 45min-1 hour that includes stretching and proper warmup, i'm not talking about running 5 miles a day here. Also i have a messed up ankle right now so i can't do a lot of running, i can't even sprint 100% for 30 yards right now, and it's been 5 weeks. I'm basically doing technique stuff now but would like input on where to add agility, speed, plyos etc for when i'm fully healed.

This is just something I'm thinking about right now.

Monday - ME Upper
    Tuesday - DE Lower
    Wednesday - running
    Thursday - DE Upper
    Friday - ME Lower, running
    Sat - off
    Sunday - Running and maybe some core work

Now anytime i do running and lifting on the same day i will most likely split up the sessions. Any advice would be greatly apprecaited. Also tips about cycleing exercises and periodization for this routine would be great.

If we could move this to the sports specific forum that would be great, forgot that existed.

bump

I'm very interested in this thread cuz I too am wondering about my off season training for football and want to incorporate more explosive stuff into my routine and westside might be the way to go. I will be paying attention to the responses and maybe following something very similar. If you could make a journal when you start that'd be awesome.
    Current Maxes: (May 2009)
    Bench: 275 | Squat: 355 | Clean: 240 | Deadlift: 455 | Body Weight-205lbs
    "When you know Squat about lifting, you know the important part."

Isaac has an article on this site that talks about training like a football player. Might be a good place to start.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony
    Isaac has an article on this site that talks about training like a football player. Might be a good place to start.
    I searched isaac and the it says username invalid

Oh, his forum username is Borris. Here's the article: http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=187
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Thank you

Hey everybody im new i just came to see if i could get some professional answers. I am a varsity crew rower in college and also lift on a program called Max-OT, im sure youve heard of it. Anyways, i was wondering, with doing hardcore aerobic activity (on the ergometers or on the water) and then lifting in the same day, am i still getting optimal results? The program says wait 8 to 12 hours between aerobic/anerobic workouts, but it is hard for me to always do that as i have class, sports, etc... What would you suggest in order to continue my sport yet get optimal lifting results at the same time? Thanks

There are a lot of different opinions on Max-OT. However I think most would agree that it shouldn't be done if your invovled in a sport. Max OT is extremly taxing.

Check out this site, this is the program i selected. It's a westside varriant made for athletes. Lifting 3 days a week, 2 upper and 1 lower body. With room for your sport on the other days, or speed work etc. The reason it only has 1 lower body day is that athletes generally pound their legs every day so recovery on legs is a big issue.

http://www.defrancostraining.com/articles/articles.htm

I agree it does seem taxing, however i have been on the program (before full on crew season) for 11 weeks and saw outstanding results compared to when i started. Why exactly is it again you would agree that it shouldnt be done while in a sport? Thanks for the link too, looks like a nice routine

Wannabebig Member
    which collage are you off too?? i went to UT and those guys were just immensly strong i was always fast but struggled with the more physical aspect of things.
    Please contact Daniel Clough about advertising rates. Thanks.

ME lower body and running in the same day might be pretty taxing.
    -Matt
    gym lifts: squat: 341lbs, deadlift: 374lbs, bench: 275lbs
    My journal: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=85034
    "Fk you and the Prowler you rode in on"

Quote Originally Posted by nhlfan
    ME lower body and running in the same day might be pretty taxing.
    In the program I listed there is no running and lower body on the same day.

Also to the Max-OT guy, the reason why Max-ot isn't great for athletes is b/c you go to failure all the time. It's debatable if failure is ok for bodybuilders, but for an athlete who is really butting a beating on his body, I dont think failure should be a goal in your weight lifting program. As an athlete your trying to maxamize recovery.

Also the school I attend is UF, hinse the name gators. GO GATORS!!!

Haha no kidding to the guy who said lower body then running is taxing....the max-ot leg day then rowing is one kiler s.o.b. I agree about the recovery part of it gator, i take cytomax after i row and try to gap my aerobic/anerobic at least 8 hrs apart to get somewhat of a recovery, but still at this point it seems i have to wait untill season is over untill i can really go back into the gym to get big results. Oh yea, i row at CU, we're pretty good for being club, i mean u know with all that title 9 crap, we got booted from a university funded program...so we have ****ty boats, but we pull like banshees heh

Quote Originally Posted by dabaugh
    Oh yea, i row at CU, we're pretty good for being club, i mean u know with all that title 9 crap, we got booted from a university funded program...so we have ****ty boats, but we pull like banshees heh
    haha. i actually did crew one semester in HS, it was a lot of fun, unless you have morons on your boat.

Well, here's the real scoop gator, i came up here to boulder to fight and lift. I am 151 lbs., but a big 150 at that. All my lifts are over my weight by a bit and ive done some training in the past, i.e. quick on my feet. Anyways, i am considering dropping crew right now during winter training (which blows hardcore) and getting back to fighting and lifting. Im leaning towards that notion but people have been talking me into both directions. I really want to get big and fight though....what guy doesnt?

Well, here's the real scoop gator, i came up here to boulder to fight and lift. I am 151 lbs., but a big 150 at that. All my lifts are over my weight by a bit and ive done some training in the past, i.e. quick on my feet. Anyways, i am considering dropping crew right now during winter training (which blows hardcore) and getting back to fighting and lifting. Im leaning towards that notion but people have been talking me into both directions. I really want to get big and fight though....what guy doesnt?
    What kind of fighting? Boxing?

I'm actually going to take up boxing next semester (still waiting on my ankle to heal up fully before i add more stuff into the mix). It will help me with footwork and developing quick feet for football. Plus the training is intense and I love that, and i love finding good ways to let out agression, which is what boxing will do.

yea man, actually brazillian jiu jitzu here, i think im leaning more towards quitting crew, which is tough because it would be the first thing ive "quit" in my whole life eh. I just gotta start doing it though i can feel my heart pulling me to fight and im gonna go with it. Hey, im a freshman in college, 18 years old, gator how bout you?

yea man, actually brazillian jiu jitzu here, i think im leaning more towards quitting crew, which is tough because it would be the first thing ive "quit" in my whole life eh. I just gotta start doing it though i can feel my heart pulling me to fight and im gonna go with it. Hey, im a freshman in college, 18 years old, gator how bout you?
    Sophmore in college turning 20 soon. I'm not big into quitting stuff either, but it's not like your quitting crew then going to go home and sit on your ass all day. Nothing wrong with picking up a new sport.

Quote Originally Posted by gator
    Sophmore in college turning 20 soon. I'm not big into quitting stuff either, but it's not like your quitting crew then going to go home and sit on your ass all day. Nothing wrong with picking up a new sport.
    Word dude thanks thats how i see it. I am so pumped to pick this new stuff up and be able to weight train at the same time....makes me wonder why i didnt start earlier. Your football team kicks our ass, but then again we've only won once so we will suck compared to anyone haha. good thing i like the broncos