Thread: All right guys, I really need your help.

All right guys, I really need your help.

I'm 5'7" .. 160 lbs. I've been doing a martial arts lifting routine for a while and now I wanna get huge.

Here is a pic of where I am now.. and what type of body i'm going for:

I have a long way to go! But i'm willing.

What are your suggestions for me to reach my goal? How many times should I lift a week? How many times should I train the whole body a week? I've heard that the 6-8 rep range should be good for this (or is that a myth?).. Also should I be doing more compound movements? Which exercises should I be doing?

The only thing I know is that I should be eating like a horse.. 5 or more times a day.

I greatly appreciate everybodys help! Thanks!

Diet tip - EAT and track your calories. See sticky "what a bb eats"

Training tip - use the search. Your questions have been answered.

What is your current diet/training look like?

Cool Mik, thanks for the tips.

My martial art routine was 3 days a week and full body each of those days. Mostly compound movements.

This week I started a routine that looks like this
    Mon - Chest, Shoulders, Tris (6 reps)
    Tue - Back, Bi's, Legs (12 reps)
    Thur - Chest, Shoulders, Tris (12 reps)
    Fri - Back, Bi's, Legs (6 reps)

I don't really have any routine for eating.. pretty much just trying to eat chicken breats all day long, lol.

Check out www.fitday.com and track your food intake. Stick with compound exercises. To do your legs justice you may want to have a "leg day". You still doing MA?

I've decided to slow down on the MA pretty much. I just wanna get big. What body type do you think I am judging from that pic?
    Last edited by stevis1331; 11-07-2006 at 03:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stevis1331
    What body type do you think I am judging from that pic?
    Umm, male?

Really, is that important? Just jump in, read some threads, move some weights, eat some steak, drink some milk, and let yourself grow. You don't need to worry about body types and that sort of trivia.

If you want to grow, just do what you gotta do to grow. You've got a headstart on prolly 90% of your age group peers already so enjoy it and start moving some heavy weights.

Good luck.

Thanks beatlesfreak. In a way that does actually make sense to me. Eat like a horse.. lift heavy... sweet.

^^^ Hope you didn't think I was being offensive. ;-)

Just trying to get you going in the right direction.

My kids are much like you, lots of hard work for many years that led to black belts, but they've just recently had a change of heart and a) grown tired of the martial arts training, and b) started following me to the gym instead.

They've got a great physical fitness foundation from years of martial arts, but they are stuck in the currently popular mindset that "abs are everything".

I told them a "six-pack" isn't much good if you don't have an "ice chest" to keep it in. A quote I stole from Mark Rippetoe.

Now, they've agreed to give up the silly routine of doing 1,000 crunches followed by multiple sets of dumbbell curls, and they're squatting and pressing big weights, eating to grow, and seeing real progress.

It's a positive feedback cycle.

You're already so far ahead of most people your age AND you have the discipline it takes to set and reach high goals that I'm sure you'll be seeing huge progress soon.

Good luck.

haha, no I didn't take any offense

I see what you're saying.

After searching around on different BB forums. A lot of people are directing me to the Rippetoe program. I just started eating 18 times my weight. Will eating that much and doing the Rippetoe program help me put on the mass I want? or will it only make me stronger?.. so then after the program I can use my stength gains to do a mass building program.. i don't know.. that's what someone else was telling me in another forum.

Those stretch marks? If so, whatever you have been doing looks like its been working, and fast!

Let me also mention that I hate genetics.

Yep, they are stretch marks. I got them in high school when I took "Weight Gainer 2200 gold" religiously.. don't do it.. it gives you fat muscle fast and also stretch marks, lol. I cant even begin to explain to you how much I hated them when I first got them. But now I kinda like them. Kinda like battle scars.
    Last edited by stevis1331; 11-08-2006 at 01:26 PM.

haha.. nice

Iron man
    You look pretty big already. Not huge, but big none-the-less. Also, that dude looks like he might be on steroids. I'm not saying that he is though. I just have this thing where if someone has a mass amount of veins popping out, I think they are on roids.
    Last edited by bodybuilderam; 11-08-2006 at 03:35 PM.
    Currently:
    height:5'8.5"
    weight: 143
    bench: 185
    squat: 225x15
    Goals by January '08:
    weight: 145-150
    bench: 210
    squat: 250x10

lol.. try being at 4-5% b/f and see what your veins look like

Stevis1331,

There are plenty of useful and effective routines for you to choose from.

The WBB routines here have been universally acclaimed, as has Built's BGB routine. These programs were designed by very smart, very experienced lifters. They will make you as big and strong as you are willing to work for. Sometimes the hardest part about getting started is deciding which routine to use. In a place like this, there are many good ones to sift through to find the one you like best.

My own personal choice is the Rippetoe program. Mark Rippetoe is simply "the man" when it comes to training people to be very, very strong. I love very simple, no-frills, full-body routines that emphasize squats, and the Rippetoe program is so straightforward and so effective that it's a lot of fun for me and my family. It fits my needs perfectly, has proven very successful for us, and I highly recommend it to you.

Check out his site at www.startingstrength.com You could probably check out a copy of his book from your local library. I picked one up at Amazon and am using it to train my own kids to lift heavy weights safely. My kids are totally into it. Although, in a pinch, you can learn practically everything you need to know about his routine right here by doing a forum search.

Look around the site here and see which program you think will best suit your goals and your training schedule, then jump right in and go for it.

And stick with it.

Also don't forget two important things: set goals for yourself so you can periodically measure your progress, and eat right.

Good luck.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by stevis1331
    Yep, they are stretch marks. I got them in high school when I took "Weight Gainer 2200 gold" religiously.. don't do it.. it gives you fat muscle fast and also stretch marks, lol. I cant even begin to explain to you how much I hated them when I first got them. But now I kinda like them. Kinda like battle scars.
    The fact you got stretch marks means that you were gaining to fast - a result of eating too much. I wouldn't directly blame it on the product.

You are nearly an identical build as me, about 10 lbs heavier. I agree with the other posters - EAT A LOT. It depends on your metabolism, but eat enough so that you are gaining 1-2 lbs / week. Anything more than that will mean a lot of fat.

Quote Originally Posted by bodybuilderam
    You look pretty big already. Not huge, but big none-the-less. Also, that dude looks like he might be on steroids. I'm not saying that he is though. I just have this thing where if someone has a mass amount of veins popping out, I think they are on roids.
    haha yeah.. it's Triple H from WWE.. so I could see him being on roids

beatlesfreak: Sounds good! Yeah, Rippetoe's routine seems great.. gonna start it on monday

RedSpikeyThing: I think taking the product religiously is what gave me the stretch marks. It did make me huge fast.. but also in the stomach lol