The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Sumo Deadlift Foot-Knee relationship

Having recently read
    http://www.elitefts.com/documents/sumo.htm, Brian Schwab says that:

Donít stand wider than you can get your knees. If your feet are out too wide you lose some of your biomechanical advantage and leverage. You would think this is simple to figure out but why is it we see it at every meet we go to? The only thing I can think of is that these lifters have never seen themselves pull. Get your hands on a video camera and film your lifts. This is one of the best investments any lifter can make. In today's lifting age there is absolutely no reason for poor form and technique.
    I currently deadlift in a sumo stance, and this thought has never crossed my mind. I know that my feet are out more than my knee by two or three inches. Do any of you have any experience getting a better pull with your feet below your knees at the base of the pull?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

No, I just stand as wide as humanly possible. Sometimes I end up smacking my toes on the way down. Generally, I try and make my deadlift stance the same width as my squat stance. Maybe try different stances until you find one that works best for you.

I think that I have a wider deadlift stance than squat stance. My squat stance is about as wide as the powerrack allows me, but I probably get another inch or two on both sides without it. I'll give it a shot next time I pull.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyBoy
    No, I just stand as wide as humanly possible. Sometimes I end up smacking my toes on the way down. Generally, I try and make my deadlift stance the same width as my squat stance. Maybe try different stances until you find one that works best for you.
    Really? I pull sumo and definately don't go that wide....I'll have to try that next time. Does it give you more power? Or is it just because the distabce the bar has to travel is less?

Wannabebig Member
    With a wider stance, the ROM is reduce but I feel as though when I go wide toes to the plates Im not as explosive and end up doing a stiff legged sumo deadlift! haha, but about 2-3 in from the inside of the plates and I can feel the explosiveness growing... Sumo is a big difference for me since my conventional deadlift involves me putting my feet less than 6 inches apart.