Thread: Offseason Football Lifting

Offseason Football Lifting

Last year this time I started WBB1 following the football season, looking to bulk up and get stronger and I had great results. But this offseason I'm looking to add more explosion and power to my arsenal and improve my performance on the field. So I've come up with a routine that I'm thinking of being on while bulking. Its very similar to when I did WBB1 as far as exercises just set up a little differently and some more explosive movement added. So what do you guys think?:

Upper Day 1: Chest, Back
    Bench
    Incline Bench (DB or BB)
    Dips 2xAll
    DB Flys

Deadlifts
    Pull Ups 2xAll
    DB Bent Over Rows/Barbell Rows (alternate each week)
    Seated Cable Rows

Rest Day

Lower Day 1: Speed/Power
    Box Squat
    Clean
    Leg Press 2x10 (focus on speed)
    Standing Calf Raises or Calf Raises in Leg Press
    Abs

Rest Day

Upper Day 2: Shoulders, Bis, and Tris
    Military Press or Push Press
    Standing Lateral Raises
    Shoulder Shrugs (DB or BB)

Close Grip Bench or Pulldowns
    Barbell Curls or DB Hammer Curls

Lower Day 2: Strength
    Squat
    Good Mornings
    Hack Squat Machine (optional)
    Seated Calf Raises
    Abs

Rest Day

4 sets for compounds, 3 for everything else, reps of 3, 5, or 8, alternating each week
    Last edited by rbar89; 11-08-2006 at 08:12 PM.
    Current Maxes: (May 2009)
    Bench: 275 | Squat: 355 | Clean: 240 | Deadlift: 455 | Body Weight-205lbs
    "When you know Squat about lifting, you know the important part."

Bump

Is cutting down to 9% Jordanbcool's Avatar
    If you're serious about football do this.

Dump the direct arm work and ab work. Trust me. Your abs and arms will get pretty big just doing deadlifts (abs) and rows (bi's).....

Other then that. I'd take off the calf work and take off one excersize for each day. Like for chest you could do...

Flat bench
    Incline dumbell
    Decline bench

Doesnt sound like much but trust me. Its better to go HARD on FEWER excersizes then to go slightly lighter so you have energy for those pointless isolation excersizes (or un-needed fourth excersizes). Once you realize this your growth will explode.

I would add some jump rope drills, HIIT or other agility training. Working on distance running for endurance isnt a bad idea either just be sure to not overdo it and to make up for it in calories..

Good luck.
    Last edited by Jordanbcool; 11-09-2006 at 12:18 AM.
    Getting back in the groove
    "I'll tell you a secret. Something they don't teach you in your temple. The Gods envy us. They envy us because we're mortal, because any moment might be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we're doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now. We will never be here again." - Achilles, (Troy 2004)
    Stats
    ATF squat- 275 RAW
    Deadlift- 415
    Bench- Two 100lbs DB's four times
    190lbs 15% BF (Estimate)

Assuming your including running and speed work into your training try this place.

http://www.defrancostraining.com/articles/articles.htm

One thing I strongly dissagree with the previous poster about is ab work. Athletes should be doing ab work, and anything to strengthen the core and posterior chain. Also hit your upper body 2x a week, dont split it up like your doing. Your hitting tri's shoulders and bi's 2x a week while only getting chest, and back once...b/c you work your tri's shoulders and bi's on chest/back day.

Thanks for the replies guys, To Jordan I'm not sure about eliminating ab work as abs/core are very important in football and I know the compounds hit them but why not do ab work at the end. To Gator, Im really only working my bis and tris as secondary on chest and back day so i do a few more arm exercises on my shoulder day and depending on what it is it might work back or chest secondary. And also to that link you gave me which i saw in your other thread already, I have some similar stuff in there but I dont have access to all that equipment and I like the way Im doing it anyways. One other thing I forgot to mention in my original post is that I will be doing plyos and agility stuff also.

Quote Originally Posted by rbar89
    Last year this time I started WBB1 following the football season, looking to bulk up and get stronger and I had great results. But this offseason I'm looking to add more explosion and power to my arsenal and improve my performance on the field. So I've come up with a routine that I'm thinking of being on while bulking. Its very similar to when I did WBB1 as far as exercises just set up a little differently and some more explosive movement added. So what do you guys think?:

Upper Day 1: Chest, Back
    Bench
    Incline Bench (DB or BB)
    Dips 2xAll
    DB Flys

Deadlifts
    Pull Ups 2xAll
    DB Bent Over Rows/Barbell Rows (alternate each week)
    Seated Cable Rows

Rest Day

Lower Day 1: Speed/Power
    Box Squat
    Clean
    Leg Press 2x10 (focus on speed)
    Standing Calf Raises or Calf Raises in Leg Press
    Abs

Rest Day

Upper Day 2: Shoulders, Bis, and Tris
    Military Press or Push Press
    Standing Lateral Raises
    Shoulder Shrugs (DB or BB)

Close Grip Bench or Pulldowns
    Barbell Curls or DB Hammer Curls

Lower Day 2: Strength
    Squat
    Good Mornings
    Hack Squat Machine (optional)
    Seated Calf Raises
    Abs

Rest Day

4 sets for compounds, 3 for everything else, reps of 3, 5, or 8, alternating each week
    Speed and strength will depend more on the reps and technique you use rather than the particular lifts, although box squats are good for speed. Why don't you have speed and strength days for upper body? I'd rather see a regular upper/lower split than splitting upper into different muscles. You have a lot of redundancy in the upper body lifts - there's no need for 4 different chest lifts and 2 different kinds of rows.

Leg press is functionally useless for a football player. It would be better to do front squats or lunges, something like that. Calves are fine but don't waste a lot of effort on them. Abs are also good to do, and make sure obliques get worked.

holy **** back and chest on the same day >_<

maybe i'm getting too technical but it' shouldn't be speed, it should be explosion.When you do higher rep squats you dont necessarly want to do them fast, you just want to explode out of the hole.

Also for a football player hack squat is useless, and throw out the DB flies. I would also add in a unilateral movement for legs, something done one leg at a time, it promotes balance for your legs and stability, something like one legged squats, lunges, or even step ups with a BB on your back.

If your serious about training use the link I posted, or some Westside varriant. I dont know how many people can say the dont like Westside b/c of the beauty of the program is that you can modify it.

Iron4Life
    Powerlifting type lifting is great for football.. no doubt about it...
    But one of the things that seperate the top HS football programs is Olympic Lifting..
    If you can C&J, Snatch, Push Press, Hang Clean, etc.. you will build the explosivness that you need..
    Combine that with Plyometrics.. and you will be a strong explosive mofo..

Then you can think about some advanced training..
    Strongman type functional training is now also becoming very popular for the elite HS football programs.. being able to flip heavy tires, throw heavy stones around, carry heavy weights, etc.. will take your strength, strength endurance and explosiveness again to the next level.

Good luck..

Quote Originally Posted by bearwolf
    Powerlifting type lifting is great for football.. no doubt about it...
    But one of the things that seperate the top HS football programs is Olympic Lifting..
    If you can C&J, Snatch, Push Press, Hang Clean, etc.. you will build the explosivness that you need..
    Combine that with Plyometrics.. and you will be a strong explosive mofo..
    I agree and dissagree with this. I find most football programs are actually moving away from these kinds of lifts. Not because they aren't good, but because they are hard to teach and many kids dont listen and can end up hurting themselves on these. I agree they are awesome for explosivness if you know how to preform them properly, however not all of them are easy to learn. I love power cleans, i must say.

Whats everyones take on the Push press? I dont see many people doing this, but it makes a lot more sense to do a push press rather than standing BB shoulder presses for athletes. My HS program never did these and was wondering what might be some of the negatives of doing this movement.