Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 16-Year-Old does 2,446 pull-ups in 12 hours, breaking the world record by 224 reps.

16-Year-Old does 2,446 pull-ups in 12 hours, breaking the world record by 224 reps.

http://www.comcast.net/providers/fan...n%2Fhome%2Exml

I bet he was sore the next day. I wonder if the Guinness Book does drug testing.

In all fairness, gear alone doesn't allow for 2446 Pull-ups. Juice or not, he's obviously got some serious natural talent.
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Patrick
    http://www.comcast.net/providers/fan...n%2Fhome%2Exml

I bet he was sore the next day. I wonder if the Guinness Book does drug testing.

In all fairness, gear alone doesn't allow for 2446 Pull-ups. Juice or not, he's obviously got some serious natural talent.
    Can't see the vid, not signing up for yet another site today. Sounds like a super scrawny, wiry, strong guy. No juice. Muscle size and strength are not the same thing.
    Opinions are like ***holes, everybody has one.

There are three kinds of lies - lies, damned lies and statistics. ~Benjamin Disraeli

Prompts me to sign up for Comcast.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

Crap, sorry guys. I searched all over and I can't find it anywhere else

Try this link: http://www.comcast.net/providers/fan...ml?v=136719498
    Last edited by Saint Patrick; 11-13-2006 at 11:36 AM.

Banned
    No luck.

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    That is crazy. It should make it's way to youtube.

The Fitness Industry is a 1 billion dollar industry.
    --Dairy Queens Blizzard pulls in 3/4 of a billion.
    --------------We are the elite.------------

Newbie Galore
    HAHAHA. His name is Joe Armstrong. He's not super scrawny, but that was my initial thought before seeing the video.

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    You could um...download the video for us and upload it to www.mediafire.com.
    Last edited by sCaRz*Of*PaiN; 11-13-2006 at 01:22 PM.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Iron man
    And I can barely do 20.
    Currently:
    height:5'8.5"
    weight: 143
    bench: 185
    squat: 225x15
    Goals by January '08:
    weight: 145-150
    bench: 210
    squat: 250x10

He isn't huge... but not the stick I expected either. What was impressive was how absolutely effortlessly he hauled himself up! Like he weighed nothing almost.

I wonder how he prepared for it.

HCT-12, Split #2 I 5/17/2010 - 6/18/2010
    My Journal
    My Fitday

that guy is going to be in serious pain haha sick!
    2000 or bust

Wow thats a crazy video!

He looked so calm and made it look way too easy.
    Make Shift IF diet
    My Training Experience
    GET BODY SMART
    Goals:
    CF WOD and Recomp...
    "My fault. I was fiddling with the Gravitational Constant of the Universe again.
    I've set it back - you might need to reboot, though..." -Built

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal--
    nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong attitude" - Thomas J

"Obsessed is what the lazy call the dedicated" - Slim Schaedle

That's an average of 3.3 per minute. Not too crazy if you paced yourself.
    Check out my Training Journal HERE

105kg Open IPF Classic Provincial record holder in the squat, bench, deadlift, and total.

Quote Originally Posted by Workhorse
    That's an average of 3.3 per minute. Not too crazy if you paced yourself.
    Sounds easy, but maintain that for 720 minutes ... OUCH!
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Iron man
    So if it's an average of 3.3 per minute, all I'd have to do is 4 every minute for 720 minutes, and I win!
    Currently:
    height:5'8.5"
    weight: 143
    bench: 185
    squat: 225x15
    Goals by January '08:
    weight: 145-150
    bench: 210
    squat: 250x10

I challenge any of you to do anything for 12 hours straight aside from sitting on your butt playing WoW. I bet most people here couldn't even stand for twelve hours straight, much less do pull-ups.

A kid at my college did a "performance piece" for his senior art portfolio where he merely videotaped himself standing still on top of the art building for 24 hours straight (no rest, no food, etc.). He commented to the camera - at somewhere in the 10-20 hour range he started hallucinating and speaking meaningless garbage to the camera.
    25 years old, 5'10''

Back in the States to get hayooooge!

Health goals
    - Weigh a healthy and active 170-180, healthy mind and body
    - Dunk a basketball (hey a man can have big dreams huh)
    - Swim 2-3x/week and become a better swimmer

Quote Originally Posted by McIrish
    I challenge any of you to do anything for 12 hours straight aside from sitting on your butt playing WoW. I bet most people here couldn't even stand for twelve hours straight, much less do pull-ups.

A kid at my college did a "performance piece" for his senior art portfolio where he merely videotaped himself standing still on top of the art building for 24 hours straight (no rest, no food, etc.). He commented to the camera - at somewhere in the 10-20 hour range he started hallucinating and speaking meaningless garbage to the camera.
    that mindfreak guy did that. stahdning there on a platform that was 3x3 feet. now thats scary
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by McIrish
    I challenge any of you to do anything for 12 hours straight aside from sitting on your butt playing WoW.
    I don't think I could even do that for 12 hours...

Criss Angel never did that. You're thinking of David Blaine.

Wannabebig New Member
    My name is *Jason* Armstrong, and I am the 16 year old who recently broke the record for the most pull ups in twelve hours. There were a few mistakes made in the video clip shown on this page, most notably the number of pull ups I completed which was actually 2406, which may not seem like much of a difference but keep in mind that after already doing so many, every one was a task in itself.

I did not take steroids nor have I ever. In fact, for the 6 months preceeding the event, I did the exact opposite. To lose weight (I was around 195 then), I went on a strict vegetarian diet, and stopped consuming any synthetic protein supplement. I also stopped lifting weights and swimming. I stopped lifting to try to lean down some (even lost muscle is less bodyweight to pull up) and stopped swimming because it was too fluid of an exercise and doing such large numbers of pull ups would require a very mechanical form, each pull up being exactly the same as the last to help prevent injury. By my first trial run at this event, which was performed at my house on July 8th of this year, I was down to 183 pounds and broke the record unnoficially by doing 2,228 pullups and chinups.

My initial philosophy was that to train for an event like this, I needed quantity, not quality, but I soon learned that even the slightest drop in quality or care could cause a serious injury, and I started training for more quantity and quality. Most days I would just do a pull up workout, or a pull up workout and a light calistenics workout. I would do anywhere from 200-700 pull ups a day at a pace anywhere from 8/minute down to 3/minute. A typical workout would consist of 100 warmup pull ups and then 4 pull ups per minute for 2 hours. I would never do sets of more than 6, as I couldn't do a clean set of 6 with good form by the end of 2 hours, and I wanted to finish with everything looking exactly the same as when it started: Effortless and Confident. Most sets consisted of 3 or 4, the numbers which I found to work the best for me, even though most people (including my father who also set this record once) find sets of 5 to be optimum. I would walk briskly in between sets to build up a strong long-term cardiovascular endurance, the type I would need during the 12 hour record break. I always trained without gloves, attempting to build up as much callus as possible and knowing that even gloves wouldn't save me from anything over 1500 pullups so I might as well just take it like a man during training and get used to it.

Many top fitness experts have theorized that training for such intense long distance endurance events will detriment strength and speed. This is very true. The only way to train for something like this (atleast to my knowledge, A.K.A. the current best in the world's knowledge) is to perform massive amounts of repetitions every single day. However, training like this does not allow the muscles enough time to recover to build up any and increase in strength. When I started my training, I could do about 40 consecutive pull ups easily, after 6 months of it, I could only do about 25, so be careful if you choose to follow the path of an endurance athlete.

Another theory is that tall people are bad at pull ups. I also found this to be somewhat true. At 74 inches of height, I have an incredibly long distance to lift myself on every pull up. My stroke is approximately twice the length of my father's and it is because of this that I have had to train so much harder to excel at pull ups than he did. Weight is also an important factor. Even if you are under 5% bodyfat (about what I am), 183 pounds is still 183 pounds, and after 2,405 pull ups, its about 1,830 pounds.

I have always admired the dead, expressionless faces gymnasts use during their routines and have trained myself to not show emotion while I workout, even when it really hurts. This is probably what made the pull ups look so effortless. I also came to be extremely resilient after acquiring so much endurance, and found that even a 2-3 minute rest could fully rejuvenate me for several hours, so it was easy to keep my body looking strong for every pull up as well, as I had almost all of my strength restored and available for every pull up.

If there are any additional questions you have about me or my training, please email me at pullup2406@yahoo.com or jarmstrong@charter.net

Well that's certainly interesting.
    bests:
    bp 335x1 (unequipped), sq 430x5 belt, dl 475x1 sumo (unequipped)
    ----------------------------
    Cut: Start/250 Current/247
    Abs or bust: my journal
    ollld pics

Wow. The man himself speaks. Nice job on breaking the record.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

i cant see the vid, is it anywhere else. also did he have to hang for 12 hrs, if he did thats insane, also were they pull ups or chin ups?
    to sculpt you must first have concrete
    You are only as stong as your weakest joint

Wannabebig New Member
    No, I did not have to hang for 12 hours, but yes they were overhanded pull ups, all but about 100 of them. I was going to do half of each but the chin ups started giving me elbow trouble so I stopped before I had a chance to do many.

Wannabebig New Member
    Link to the vid, Please note the mistakes in my first post
    http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=2649344