Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: NEW TO THE SITE, got 3 questions...please help!!

  1. #1
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    33

    NEW TO THE SITE, got 3 questions...please help!!

    Sometimes my sternum/breastbone gets real tight and I have to spread my arms way apart in order to pop it...Makes a very loud pop...Anybody know what this is from?

    Also, I have been trying to get my chest bigger and my bench numbers up...but it seems like whenever I lift heavy something usually ends up hurting...whether it be my shoulder, or the side of my neck or some combination of the two....Anybody know what may be causing that?

    I heard that in order to have a high bench press, u have to have big shoulders...is that true?

  2. #2
    I got it like that Sontizzle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    133
    whats your routine like? if your benching everyday to try to get your numbers up then yes stuff is going to start hurting.
    Age: 22
    Height: 5'10"
    Starting Weight: 135-140lbs (August 1st 2006)
    Current Weight: got up to 177 but got it back down to 170lbs
    Current Goal: cutting

  3. #3
    T.J.W. nhlfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,325
    never underestimate a good warmup and stretch.
    -Matt
    gym lifts: squat: 341lbs, deadlift: 374lbs, bench: 275lbs
    My journal: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=85034
    "Fk you and the Prowler you rode in on"

  4. #4
    GreenG mickyjune26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Denton, TX (by Dallas)
    Posts
    1,515
    If it hurts with a sharp pain, don't push it. I've rarely had sharp pains go away by lifting more.

    Go light, stretch, warmup with a series of 3-rep sets, adding 10 pounds each time.
    Want to be big? READ WBB ARTICLES!
    Deads 06 245...07 375...08 565---- Squat 2006 175.....2007 315----2008 505----Bench '06 155.....'07 260....'08 385---- weight - 260
    Goals:
    (11-08)Hit 1450 geared (class III - 600/500/350) current - 1455 geared
    Journal - Pics - ...9

  5. #5
    Former Fatass Unreal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    SLC,UT
    Posts
    3,084
    Quote Originally Posted by Tru Texan
    Sometimes my sternum/breastbone gets real tight and I have to spread my arms way apart in order to pop it...Makes a very loud pop...Anybody know what this is from?

    Also, I have been trying to get my chest bigger and my bench numbers up...but it seems like whenever I lift heavy something usually ends up hurting...whether it be my shoulder, or the side of my neck or some combination of the two....Anybody know what may be causing that?

    I heard that in order to have a high bench press, u have to have big shoulders...is that true?
    1: No idea
    2: Poor form, poor warmup, over training.
    3: Generally you need to have a big everything. Shoulders, back, core, and alot more then just your pecs are involved in benching.
    Nick V

  6. #6
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by Sontizzle
    whats your routine like? if your benching everyday to try to get your numbers up then yes stuff is going to start hurting.
    I work my back, biceps on Mon/Thurs.
    I work my chest, tri Tues/Fri.
    I work my leg either Mon/Wed, Wed/Fri, depending on what time permits me to do...
    Abs, I try to do twice a day, Mon-Fri....but at least 2x a day 3 times a week...

    My routine varies and use mainly free weights...I usually do Flat barbell, incline barbell (with dumbell supersets after each set for flat and incline) on first day, flat and decline second day (same superset combo) I also try to do at least 3x10 at 185-205 close grip, or the upright bars on the chest press machine..

    My sets vary weekly... First week 5x8 of 245, Second week 5x5 of 255, then the 3rd week I do a pyramid: warm-up bout 3x15 of 135, then start at 225 and do 12 reps, 235 10 reps, break all the way down until I get 2 of 300, sometimes one of 315....depending on how worn-out I am..

    I know that was probably confusing, and Im sure Im doing the wrong sets but I'm all ears!!! I wanna have a big chest that is just as strong...As well as strong w/the rest of my body as well...But I don't wanna look like overbulky neither...Help!!!

  7. #7
    Grammar Nazi BG5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    3,977
    Quote Originally Posted by nhlfan
    never underestimate a good warmup and stretch.
    Warmup before, stretch after.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

    Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

  8. #8
    Wannabebig Member muscleshock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    8

    Big bench

    Quote Originally Posted by Tru Texan
    Sometimes my sternum/breastbone gets real tight and I have to spread my arms way apart in order to pop it...Makes a very loud pop...Anybody know what this is from?

    Also, I have been trying to get my chest bigger and my bench numbers up...but it seems like whenever I lift heavy something usually ends up hurting...whether it be my shoulder, or the side of my neck or some combination of the two....Anybody know what may be causing that?

    I heard that in order to have a high bench press, u have to have big shoulders...is that true?
    Yes to have a big bench you need to have strong shoulders and triceps. Bench is a compaund exercise which involves several muscle groups. As for the pain. Go to the doctor and check it up. Just in case. If everything is ok and you are granted permission to train make sure you get a good muscle specific warm up and keep strict form! Experiment with lighter weights to learn best movements for you.

  9. #9
    T.J.W. nhlfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,325
    Quote Originally Posted by BG5150
    Warmup before, stretch after.
    there's no problem with a dynamic stretch before lifting, at least from what I have been told by my kinesiology prof.
    -Matt
    gym lifts: squat: 341lbs, deadlift: 374lbs, bench: 275lbs
    My journal: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=85034
    "Fk you and the Prowler you rode in on"

  10. #10
    Senior Member Doobs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    1,182
    Quote Originally Posted by Tru Texan
    Sometimes my sternum/breastbone gets real tight and I have to spread my arms way apart in order to pop it...Makes a very loud pop...Anybody know what this is from?
    Do you do dips?

  11. #11
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by Doobs
    Do you do dips?
    No, there is no dip machine or anything to do them on.
    Height: 5'11"
    Weight: 213lbs
    Current Bench Max: 350lbs
    CurrentGoal: Decent abs, Decent looking body ,and benching 400lbs one day

  12. #12
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by muscleshock
    Yes to have a big bench you need to have strong shoulders and triceps. Bench is a compaund exercise which involves several muscle groups. As for the pain. Go to the doctor and check it up. Just in case. If everything is ok and you are granted permission to train make sure you get a good muscle specific warm up and keep strict form! Experiment with lighter weights to learn best movements for you.
    What are some good shoulder and triceps excercises to build up strength and size?
    Height: 5'11"
    Weight: 213lbs
    Current Bench Max: 350lbs
    CurrentGoal: Decent abs, Decent looking body ,and benching 400lbs one day

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    573
    For shoulders you can do military presses:
    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...taryPress.html

    For triceps you can do Dumbbell One Arm Triceps Extension:
    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...ArmTriExt.html
    This one is an isolation so you might not be too keen. Thing to remember is that the bench press and military press work the triceps, so if you do both you probably won't need a tricep isolation excercise, but if you choose to do one, this one is as good as any.

    http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html
    And this is the main page, where you wil find lots of excercises for the whole body.

  14. #14
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by JConrad
    For shoulders you can do military presses:
    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...taryPress.html

    For triceps you can do Dumbbell One Arm Triceps Extension:
    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...ArmTriExt.html
    This one is an isolation so you might not be too keen. Thing to remember is that the bench press and military press work the triceps, so if you do both you probably won't need a tricep isolation excercise, but if you choose to do one, this one is as good as any.

    http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html
    And this is the main page, where you wil find lots of excercises for the whole body.
    Thanks man, i'm really trying to win this bet....I gotta get my abs more defined and my bench max up by 01/07....size would be nice too!!! Do u have any good routines to suggest? For the gains I'm looking for, how many times a week should I train each muscle group? I see some workouts that train once a day ( wannabebig routines that are listed) but then I've seen some out of books that work them 2-3 times a week...
    Last edited by Tru Texan; 11-09-2006 at 12:11 PM.
    Height: 5'11"
    Weight: 213lbs
    Current Bench Max: 350lbs
    CurrentGoal: Decent abs, Decent looking body ,and benching 400lbs one day

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •