Thread: Are lunges better than squats for legs?

Hybrid View

Are lunges better than squats for legs?

I know that DOMS are no indicator of progress/growth, but after doing lunges I feel I have worked my legs a lot harder than I ever have doing squats. They are both compound excercises, so is one better than the other - and I mean specifically for quads and calves, not back muscles.
    I ask because I do two quads workouts a week (BGB) and I either want to do squats twice a week and lunges once, or squats once a week and lunges twice.
    Thanks.

Everyones bodies are different and quite possibly you are getting better muscle recruitment with lunges as opposed too squats.
    Go with what works for you not someone's opinion.

I can't really give you an answer to the question, but I will say that I was squatting three times a week (Bill Starr routine) without getting any DOMS, but I did lunges the first time yesterday and I can barely sit down today. My ass is killing me. I'm curious as to why that would be. I know that squats hit your glutes, and I've been doing them consistently, so why is my ass hurting so much from the lunges?

I think the reason for the killer DOMS is that when you lunge you are stretching the muscles not just working them. Lunges are the only excercise I know where you get instant DOMS - whilst you are actually training them!!!
    A truly fantastic excercise, invented by Satan himself (who has great legs, so I'm told).
    Tofer, did you also get DOMS in your midriff/hip area after your first lunge workout? After my first lugnes I woke up thinking i had stomach cancer, hehe.
    Last edited by JConrad; 11-09-2006 at 05:46 PM.

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    Quote Originally Posted by Tofer
    I can't really give you an answer to the question, but I will say that I was squatting three times a week (Bill Starr routine) without getting any DOMS, but I did lunges the first time yesterday and I can barely sit down today. My ass is killing me. I'm curious as to why that would be. I know that squats hit your glutes, and I've been doing them consistently, so why is my ass hurting so much from the lunges?
    Speed.

There are two ways to increase muscular tension.

1) Increase the load
    2) Lift the load faster

The Fitness Industry is a 1 billion dollar industry.
    --Dairy Queens Blizzard pulls in 3/4 of a billion.
    --------------We are the elite.------------

Is it better to do alternating lunges, or do one leg then the other?

In General? Lunges are good, Better than Squats? - No.
    A possible reason you may be feeling it more doing lunges is because of your form on squats or lunges. Another reason is that you said you sometimes do squats twice a week and lunges once during the same week. Even with doing both lifts once a week... Assuming that you do squats first during the week you may just already be fatigued from squats earlier

Quote Originally Posted by JConrad
    I know that DOMS are no indicator of progress/growth, but after doing lunges I feel I have worked my legs a lot harder than I ever have doing squats. They are both compound excercises, so is one better than the other - and I mean specifically for quads and calves, not back muscles.
    I ask because I do two quads workouts a week (BGB) and I either want to do squats twice a week and lunges once, or squats once a week and lunges twice.
    Thanks.
    I must say I tried lunges for the first time tonight in years and I ripped my legs apart. My hamstrings are sore. My quads are sore. My arms were sore from holding the dumbbells. I favor lunges over hack squats for now...
    From 155 lbs to 200 lbs (PICS/VIDS INCLUDED)

Height: 6'0"; BW: 202lbs; Age: 24; BF: ~11%
    155lbs [07-01-06] 176lbs [09-14-06] 179lbs [09-21-06] 182lbs [10-02-06] 184lbs [10-18-06] 186lbs [10-23-06] 187lbs [11-08-06] 189lbs [11-19-06] 190lbs [11-21-06] 191lbs [12-21-06] 194lbs [12-31-06]

Bench: 250lbs; Squat: 350lbs lbs; Deadlift: 430 lbs

Military: 111lbsx8; Dips: BWx30; Pullups: BWx10; WChestP: 360lbsx7; 45LegP: 470lbsx20; C Raise: 360lbs; BB Curl: 105lbsx3; Lat Pull: 195lbsx5

Most people do them alternating