The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Wannabebig Member para's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    12

    Bench press advice

    This is my typical set/rep in bench press.

    145 X 15
    155 X 12
    165 X 10
    175 X 8
    185 X 6

    I am wondering if this is too many reps or should I do less reps with more weight or what. I always thought that more reps with less weight would make you more ripped and big weight with low reps would make you stronger but I don't know that to be true anymore after talking to people.

    My current max is 215 lbs but that is also all the plates I have.. (I don't think that is tooo far from my max anyway though..)

    I'm mainly wanting to get bigger not as concerned with getting stronger. I also use a pretty narrow grip which I was told works the arms more instead of chest.

    Is this a good setup or should I be doing it a lot differently?

    Your help and/or input is appreciated.

  2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!


  3. #2
    Senior Member RichMcGuire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,234
    High reps arent going to magically "tone" you. Only a low body fat % will do that. If youre looking to get a bigger chest, the only problem I see is a lack of variety with different angles. And maybe you could do 3 working sets..at 10, 8, 6.. rather than 5 starting at 15. That way, over time, you could add maybe inclines and dips with 3 sets also

  4. #3
    Wannabebig Member para's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    12
    I'm not expecting it to be "magical". I am asking which method will get me the results I seek in the most efficient way. I don't want to work my chest near as much as my arms.

  5. #4
    Newbie Galore
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by para
    I'm not expecting it to be "magical". I am asking which method will get me the results I seek in the most efficient way. I don't want to work my chest near as much as my arms.
    So you're benching more for your arms sake than for your chest?

  6. #5
    Senior Member RichMcGuire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    2,234
    Yea, Im a little confised by that statement as well..are you just trying to get bigger in general?

  7. #6
    Occupational Hypnomania
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    720
    Blah.. what does your overall split look like, then these people will help a lot more most likely.

  8. #7
    Baby Shins! krboyd7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    England UK
    Posts
    57
    As you say if you use a narrow grip it tends to work your triceps more.Using a narrow grip works more towards the centre of your chest and using a wider grip works the outside (if that makes sense).

    Personally if you are trying to get bigger i would certainly not go above 8 reps.I think 5 sets are too many,I would reccomend using 4 sets of 6 reps. Use a spotter to aid in an extra rep in your last set?
    Last edited by krboyd7; 11-10-2006 at 03:51 AM.
    Train,train hard.Eat,eat lots and sleep even more.

  9. #8
    Wannabebig Member para's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    12
    Thanks, I think I will try lowering the sets and reps and adding on the weight. Sorry for confusing all of you.. hehe I am wanting to just get bigger in general but I would rather do it in a way more beneficial to my arms.. if that makes any sense.

    Quote Originally Posted by krboyd7
    As you say if you use a narrow grip it tends to work your triceps more.Using a narrow grip works more towards the centre of your chest and using a wider grip works the outside (if that makes sense).

    Personally if you are trying to get bigger i would certainly not go above 8 reps.I think 5 sets are too many,I would reccomend using 4 sets of 6 reps. Use a spotter to aid in an extra rep in your last set?
    Sadly I work out by myself all of the time. Although when a friend of mine moves back the end of this month he is going to start working out with me. That made a lot of sense to me actually because I wondered why my triceps were so much bigger.. I probably have my hands about 6-8 inches apart.
    Last edited by para; 11-10-2006 at 08:49 AM.

  10. #9
    The Man of Steel -Superman-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    1,017
    Quote Originally Posted by para
    Thanks, I think I will try lowering the sets and reps and adding on the weight. Sorry for confusing all of you.. hehe I am wanting to just get bigger in general but I would rather do it in a way more beneficial to my arms.. if that makes any sense.



    Sadly I work out by myself all of the time. Although when a friend of mine moves back the end of this month he is going to start working out with me. That made a lot of sense to me actually because I wondered why my triceps were so much bigger.. I probably have my hands about 6-8 inches apart.
    Well everyone is different. But what I have seen is people in the gym doing the same 6-7 sets at 200-225 lbs for months straight. IMO I would put that energy into pressing more weight at fewer sets. Even if you can just do 1 set, then do that at your max weight until failure. The many sets IMO is more of an endurance exercise rather than a strength and muscle building exercise. If I would have pressed 150 lbs for 5 sets for the past 3 months, there is no way I would be pressing 230 lbs + now.

    Also the 6-8 inches apart is ridiculously close. You are working your triceps at like 90% and chest at 10%. I think you should have them out at least 2 feet or more to have a 50% - 50% ratio.

    From 155 lbs to 200 lbs (PICS/VIDS INCLUDED)

    Height: 6'0"; BW: 202lbs; Age: 24; BF: ~11%
    155lbs [07-01-06] 176lbs [09-14-06] 179lbs [09-21-06] 182lbs [10-02-06] 184lbs [10-18-06] 186lbs [10-23-06] 187lbs [11-08-06] 189lbs [11-19-06] 190lbs [11-21-06] 191lbs [12-21-06] 194lbs [12-31-06]

    Bench: 250lbs; Squat: 350lbs lbs; Deadlift: 430 lbs

    Military: 111lbsx8; Dips: BWx30; Pullups: BWx10; WChestP: 360lbsx7; 45LegP: 470lbsx20; C Raise: 360lbs; BB Curl: 105lbsx3; Lat Pull: 195lbsx5

  11. #10
    The Man of Steel -Superman-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    1,017
    Quote Originally Posted by para
    This is my typical set/rep in bench press.

    145 X 15
    155 X 12
    165 X 10
    175 X 8
    185 X 6

    I am wondering if this is too many reps or should I do less reps with more weight or what. I always thought that more reps with less weight would make you more ripped and big weight with low reps would make you stronger but I don't know that to be true anymore after talking to people.

    My current max is 215 lbs but that is also all the plates I have.. (I don't think that is tooo far from my max anyway though..)

    I'm mainly wanting to get bigger not as concerned with getting stronger. I also use a pretty narrow grip which I was told works the arms more instead of chest.

    Is this a good setup or should I be doing it a lot differently?

    Your help and/or input is appreciated.
    WAY TOO many reps and sets. I do no more than 3 sets of 8 reps or less. I see other people at the gym spend like half an hour on the bench doing like 10 sets. It makes no sense. Then they come to me asking why they aren't getting bigger. I just walk away because I have explained it way too many times.
    From 155 lbs to 200 lbs (PICS/VIDS INCLUDED)

    Height: 6'0"; BW: 202lbs; Age: 24; BF: ~11%
    155lbs [07-01-06] 176lbs [09-14-06] 179lbs [09-21-06] 182lbs [10-02-06] 184lbs [10-18-06] 186lbs [10-23-06] 187lbs [11-08-06] 189lbs [11-19-06] 190lbs [11-21-06] 191lbs [12-21-06] 194lbs [12-31-06]

    Bench: 250lbs; Squat: 350lbs lbs; Deadlift: 430 lbs

    Military: 111lbsx8; Dips: BWx30; Pullups: BWx10; WChestP: 360lbsx7; 45LegP: 470lbsx20; C Raise: 360lbs; BB Curl: 105lbsx3; Lat Pull: 195lbsx5

  12. #11
    Ex-Manwhore KingWilder's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    3,057
    I don't think that's too much
    I do about the same and I've had really good results
    I usually do 3 warm up sets (10,8,6) and then 5x5
    Last edited by KingWilder; 11-10-2006 at 08:36 AM.
    5'10", 170lbs, 10% bf

    Bench:255 Squat:295 Dead:400
    Snatch:145 C&J: 205
    Chin-Up: +135 Dip: +100
    Max Pull-Ups: 44

    CrossFit Lv. 1, ACE-CPT

    You want our weapons!? Come and get them!

  13. #12
    cakin Cirino83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    2,240
    Quote Originally Posted by KingWilder
    I don't think that's too much
    I do about the same and I've had really good results
    I usually do 3 warm up sets (10,8,6) and then 5x5
    KingWilder I noticed that you are currently bulking, but the pic of you in your profile looks as though you have very little bodyfat. How are you doing both at the same time? Or was that a pic on a cut? Random I know..but curious

  14. #13
    Ex-Manwhore KingWilder's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    3,057
    That pic. of me was when I was cutting ( I was about 165)
    currently I'm 194...pics. are in my sig.
    5'10", 170lbs, 10% bf

    Bench:255 Squat:295 Dead:400
    Snatch:145 C&J: 205
    Chin-Up: +135 Dip: +100
    Max Pull-Ups: 44

    CrossFit Lv. 1, ACE-CPT

    You want our weapons!? Come and get them!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •