The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Banned

stubborn biceps...am i over training?

I haven't been seeing gains in my biceps in a while (both strength and size) and I'm wondering if I'm over training.
    I work biceps and back on the same day:
    3 sets pull downs
    3 sets standing curls
    3 sets seated rows
    3 sets preacher curls
    3 sets pull ups

i used to have another 3 sets of curls at the end, but I figured that was too much so I cut it down to 6 bicep sets per week. I'm 18, 180 pounds, been working out for about 3 years. think I am over training my biceps?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

6 sets is alot IMO. As for gains in size and strength, how much weight have you put on in this time? You can't magically make them bigger without eating enough to support growth. If your not growing as a whole, then your biceps aren't going to magically grow. I would say the problem is probably diet.
    Nick V

Id choose either pulldowns or pullups..not both..And also, for best gains in size anywhere, youd be better off doing your back first and then finishing up with curls..

Most likely you aren't gaining size/strength because you are not eating enough. Try dropping direct bicep work and see how you improve.

when you say your biceps are not growing do you determine that by not seeing any overall arm growth? Remember your triceps are bigger than your biceps, and will be more important in arm growth.
    [Journal | My Diet]
    [Bench 170x5 | Squat 255x5 | Deadlift 300x5]
    "It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried."

I agree-Its easier to create "peak" in the biceps but when it comes down to it..adding arm size is going to be a combination of compound movments and eating enough..gotta gain the weight.

Quote Originally Posted by RichMcGuire
    I agree-Its easier to create "peak" in the biceps but when it comes down to it..adding arm size is going to be a combination of compound movments and eating enough..gotta gain the weight.
    My arms have been getting bigger and stronger, but I am having a hard time increasing the peak of the bicep....

Its genetics. If you are seeing growth, dont worry about it.

Spider curls may be your answer.

Quote Originally Posted by RHPitcher26
    I haven't been seeing gains in my biceps in a while (both strength and size) and I'm wondering if I'm over training.
    I work biceps and back on the same day:
    3 sets pull downs
    3 sets standing curls
    3 sets seated rows
    3 sets preacher curls
    3 sets pull ups

i used to have another 3 sets of curls at the end, but I figured that was too much so I cut it down to 6 bicep sets per week. I'm 18, 180 pounds, been working out for about 3 years. think I am over training my biceps?
    I don't understand why so many people are so fixated on getting big biceps? What do big biceps mean anyways? Why are people doing several variations of the same exercise (preacher, standing, sitting, one arm, cable bicep, etc.) Do these people not know that the bicep is barely used in most compound exercises? I am confused.
    From 155 lbs to 200 lbs (PICS/VIDS INCLUDED)

Height: 6'0"; BW: 202lbs; Age: 24; BF: ~11%
    155lbs [07-01-06] 176lbs [09-14-06] 179lbs [09-21-06] 182lbs [10-02-06] 184lbs [10-18-06] 186lbs [10-23-06] 187lbs [11-08-06] 189lbs [11-19-06] 190lbs [11-21-06] 191lbs [12-21-06] 194lbs [12-31-06]

Bench: 250lbs; Squat: 350lbs lbs; Deadlift: 430 lbs

Military: 111lbsx8; Dips: BWx30; Pullups: BWx10; WChestP: 360lbsx7; 45LegP: 470lbsx20; C Raise: 360lbs; BB Curl: 105lbsx3; Lat Pull: 195lbsx5

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by -Superman-
    I don't understand why so many people are so fixated on getting big biceps? What do big biceps mean anyways? Why are people doing several variations of the same exercise (preacher, standing, sitting, one arm, cable bicep, etc.) Do these people not know that the bicep is barely used in most compound exercises? I am confused.
    If was having trouble with my chest not growing I would be asking about over training my chest. It's not like I'm having problems with every muscle but I'm only worried about my biceps growing. My biceps are my only problem right now. My arms are getting bigger, but its because I finally found a good tricep routine and I'm now noticing my triceps are bigger. And I don't just necessarily want them to be bigger, it's just frustrating when you do 6-9 sets and don't see any gains in strength as well as size.

Honestly man.. I wouldnt worry about it. Your body naturally doesnt like to grow unproportionally. Stick to big compound movements and you will be fine. If you are seeing growth you are doing something right. When you stop seeing growth, you might want to consider some change then.