Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are your best overhead press numbers?

What are your best overhead press numbers?

Ive been wondering this, since theres so much fixation on bench press even though i love it too, not enough overhead press is done. There are many variations like the side press bent press ect but i want to know your basic PR's on them.

1) Strict Standing Press
    2) Push Press
    3) 1 Arm Press

1) 205
    2) 245
    3) 100 (dumbbells arent high enough)

I know most of you train bench press for power but does anyone else train OVERHEAD for power besides me??
    2000 or bust

To be honest, I just switched over from seated military press to standing military press, ill let you know in a week or so how i progress . As for DB's, I usually work up to about 85lb db's. How many resp are you PRs? 1rm?

I personally no longer train for a goal weight. I use very strict form and get a full stretch and contraction while squeezing the target muscle at the top. Im happy when I can increase weight however. But my training style is more for hypertrophy than power. When I did train for power, I had a bench press of 350 at a weight of 145..as far as overhead press-If I remember correctly, it was around 140. I completely agree with you though-The bench press is generally whats associated with power. Do you ever do Behind the Neck Barbell presses?

yeah 1 rep but the 1 arm was to light and strict i havent done in a while, push press was today.

good luck, its quite a change.
    2000 or bust

rich, so your saying you weighted 140, benched 350 but you could only overhead press 140? WTF? lol, nah, i usually dont because they bother my shoulders.
    2000 or bust

Every 3 or 4 months ill spend a while working on my explosive power hoping it will carry over to my other lifts. I only work behind the neck pushpress as far as overhead movements and the highest ive ever held over my head was 345.

Im currently working on it right now, hoping to break past my old records and shooting to hold 405 over it sometime in the future

Yea, I got cuaght in the rut on desiring a big bench press..On some of my lifting days I would only do the bench and call it good..because, thats really all I cared about. I learned something about myself with that though-I need to leave my ego at the door when I get in the gym. I weigh 158 now at a height of 5'7 or 5'6. Yet, my training weights with the bench press wouldnt max out at 350 anymore. From what I read, if your shoulder press is half your bench, thats good..and also, I was shoulder pressing my bodyweight..I used to do vertical pushups to help with that. but at any rate, I do behind the neck presses now because it feels better on my back. Ive tried a lifting belt but I still tend to arch my back.

jinkies - i really REALLY hate you dude! LOL!!
    rich - i see man
    2000 or bust

i dont do standing strict, i do it seated, an my best in that is a pathetic 150lbs, but max is prob closer to equally pathetic 160lbs, as it was easy, an i did it after going to failure on a rep set

i think i did 200lbs ages ago in push press, but ive only ever done it twice - lucky for me leg drive makes a difference, im sure i could do 225 now (still pathetic!)

1 arm press ive basically never done

savvy not pathetic just work on it, try some 1 arm press, with thick handle thats an awesome workout
    2000 or bust

Quote Originally Posted by Stumprrp
    savvy not pathetic just work on it, try some 1 arm press, with thick handle thats an awesome workout
    meh, when i get it to 200lbs i wont consider it as pathetic anymore..just average

yeh im gonna start doing just that somwhen as i want to eventually clean an press the inch

Savvy, next time you switch your routine up.. you should really think about trading out and putting in standing presses... the weight may drop.. but i promise you it will be to your advantage

And none of those lifts are pathetic bro.. and btw.. i still think someone shoved a grapefruit down your forearm.. its massive

i used to rep out 235 on the seated press, right now for standing press im at like 155ish. So probably about 205 for one strict OH. My numbers are probably pretty similar to yours.
    bests:
    bp 335x1 (unequipped), sq 430x5 belt, dl 475x1 sumo (unequipped)
    ----------------------------
    Cut: Start/250 Current/247
    Abs or bust: my journal
    ollld pics

You think you could push out 205? What you repping with 155?

Quote Originally Posted by RichMcGuire
    From what I read, if your shoulder press is half your bench, thats good..and also, I was shoulder pressing my bodyweight..I used to do vertical pushups to help with that.

Wonder what that says about me, since my military press was 135 and my bench was 205.... I know... my bench sucked :-)

Eh, dont pay much attention to the correlations.. they are never accurate. Your lifts will get bigger.. just the fact that you are doing standing military press means that you have a better head on your shoulders than most lifters lol What part of texas are you from?

Quote Originally Posted by RichMcGuire
    I personally no longer train for a goal weight. I use very strict form and get a full stretch and contraction while squeezing the target muscle at the top. Im happy when I can increase weight however. But my training style is more for hypertrophy than power. When I did train for power, I had a bench press of 350 at a weight of 145..as far as overhead press-If I remember correctly, it was around 140. I completely agree with you though-The bench press is generally whats associated with power. Do you ever do Behind the Neck Barbell presses?
    According to this table, your bench press numbers would mean that you're waaay beyond the elite level...

http://www.crossfit.com/cf-journal/WLSTANDARDS.pdf

Tofer, are you still running the linear 5 x 5?

Quote Originally Posted by ancom41
    Savvy, next time you switch your routine up.. you should really think about trading out and putting in standing presses... the weight may drop.. but i promise you it will be to your advantage

And none of those lifts are pathetic bro.. and btw.. i still think someone shoved a grapefruit down your forearm.. its massive
    i dont like standing strict cuss its real easy to cheat an use a little leg drive, an when im training strict press, im just looking to build up my shoulder strength

as soon as i get my new place to train in, im gonna start doing power jerk + split jerk, ive only not done them yet cuss i have no place to do them - at home its not possible because the plates hit my roof n me dad wont let me do em outside, and at the gym theres never any room + the plates just break anyway (wasnt me!)

i have baby forearms compared to what they will be like in a few years time! im actually thinking they will get a lot bigger as soon as i start doing wrist rolling

Iron4Life
    I know my shoulders are out of balance with chest.. so I think my numbers are low compared to my BP.. so I've been pushing them a little harder lately:

Seated BN press: 205 x 5
    Standing MP: 185 x 4
    Push Press: 225 x 1
    One arm DBs: 80s x 4 (together, not one at a time)

i dont like standing strict cuss its real easy to cheat an use a little leg drive
    I've been guilty of this lately.. I really need to stop : /

numbers look good bear
    2000 or bust

Quote Originally Posted by ancom41
    Eh, dont pay much attention to the correlations.. they are never accurate. Your lifts will get bigger.. just the fact that you are doing standing military press means that you have a better head on your shoulders than most lifters lol What part of texas are you from?

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I live in Houston

Seated BB Military:
    185-190ish
    lockout, chest, lockout. Haven't done these in a minute though. Should be higher. I'm guessing 205.
    Weight: 194.0 lbs.Height: 5' 11"
    Raw PR's 425/340/534
    Goals for '10:
    Put on size and git Strong(er)
    Raw Goals: 450 Squat, 365 Bench, 570 Deadlift

"Weak points come from not doing the things you suck at doing." -Dave Tate

i got 155 once which is my bodweight at the moment..i think thats good for 5 months progress...
    started june 06
    now weigh 180lbs 5'4
    age 26
    bench 240lbs
    dead 340lbs
    seated shoulder press 85lbs (each arm)