The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Terrible Terrible Stamina

I've always had bad stamina as a kid. It kinda sucks when you have the fastest 100 and 200 meter times in track, but can barely survive running a single mile.

However, it seems like it's gotten much worse now that I've gained nearly 60 pounds or so. I'm no where's near fat, but I do have rediculously low stamina. As in slightly obese kids could almost literally out run me in something like the mile.

I never have a problem when I'm lifting weights, it seems to always be something stupid like wrestling with a buddy or jogging a few yards to get something. I can run from the front door of my house to our shop, and I'm out of breath.

Is there anything I can do, or do I simply have freakishly low stamina?
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Yeah, exercise. There's nothing magic here. Would you expect to get big muscles without lifting? Why would you expect to have good stamina without working your cardiovascular system?

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

I have worked my cardiovascular system, and I didn't get much out of it. I've ran track for 6 years, and every year it seems like it's worse than the year before. The first few weeks of conditioning help me none, and even by the end of the season, I'm still nearly the slowest person on the team when it comes to running more than a couple laps.

You are very, very heavy for anything over a sprint!

But perhaps you should try something other than running to build endurance. Heavier people can do well swimming or biking. The repeated impact from running may be very difficult.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Perpetual Hunger
    I know how you feel Invain. I need to get fit for the Military and obviously running is the best way to do this...only I encounter difficulty after running just a few yards. I seem to be fine when cycling etc but it seems the impact running has on my body (particularly my knees) cripples me.

I'm probably just chronically unfit but Ive had this problem ever since I was a child even though I was very active then.

Seems like Ill never be able to run that 1.5 mile.....let alone in under 11 minutes.

When I run I feel like I weigh too much for my body, (if that makes sense) though im only 160 lbs and 5 ft 10. My knees really start to hurt and I have to stop after a short period of time (No Im not fat before you ask). Ive been on cod liver oil tablets for the past week so ill see if that helps my knees.

Yeah, that's almost exactly how it is for me too. When I'm trying to jog something like a mile I feel like I weigh 300 pounds. I usually don't get knee pains, but my back always tightens up and drives me nuts, as well as side cramps and all that good stuff.

Invain, at your height and weight you'll have to work extremely hard to make progress. But it's definitely possible.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

I feel your pain, Invain. I used to be a "runner." I'd run a mile or two every night. Now I can hardly even run around the block. I think it's because I added over 40 lbs in weight. Either way, keep cycling or try swimming.
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs
    Bench: 250
    Deadlift: 435
    Squat: 350
    OHP: 190

Damn, I never even realized how significantly carrying extra muscle hurt running. Wouldn't the extra muscle allow you to run harder in the first place, negating most of the extra weight? Or is it just that you're extra muscle is the wrong fiber type to be as effective running?
    Go now, run along and tell your xerxes he faces free men here, not slaves

Quote Originally Posted by jdeity
    Damn, I never even realized how significantly carrying extra muscle hurt running. Wouldn't the extra muscle allow you to run harder in the first place, negating most of the extra weight? Or is it just that you're extra muscle is the wrong fiber type to be as effective running?
    It's because your energy systems haven't adapted to supplying that much weight yet.

*nods to anthony*

Exactly, the weight you gained you havnt compensated for, long distance runners are VERY lean and VERY tiny as a rule, look at any marathon runners. They have great muscle definition but are skinny as hell. If you want to build up endurance then you are going to have difficulties, training for sprints is a different kind of training then for long distance. Perhaps, because of your weight, since you want to maintain your knees youw ill be better off doing your endurance training in a pool. It still works the cardiovascular system but saves the impact on your joints. Has your sprint times been effected at all?
    Stats:
    Height: 5' 5.5"
    Weight: 180 lbs
    Max lifts: Squat:320 lbs, Bench: 195 lbs, Deadlift: 290 lbs.
    Max Comp. Total: 805 lbs

Picture Links
    Most Recent Pix, August 2006, Febuary 2006, Starting Pictures (2005)
    MY JOURNAL

Actually, my sprint times went down a little, but like I said distance went completely to hell. I think I puked about every other practice, and last year was the first time I ever came in dead last in the mile run.... behind all the shot and disc guys....

If your endurance was gone, then it makes sense your sprint times would go down.

I guess you hit the point that you need to decide if you are going to train for weightlifting or sprinting..... If its sprinting you need to do more cardio and runnign excersizes and train for explosive power as opposed to strength, your muscle mass is clearly causing you lots of trouble.

My opinion anyways *shrugs*
    Stats:
    Height: 5' 5.5"
    Weight: 180 lbs
    Max lifts: Squat:320 lbs, Bench: 195 lbs, Deadlift: 290 lbs.
    Max Comp. Total: 805 lbs

Picture Links
    Most Recent Pix, August 2006, Febuary 2006, Starting Pictures (2005)
    MY JOURNAL

Sprinting is cardio.

Weight lifting is cardio.

Taking the stairs instead of the elevator is cardio.

Cardio, cardio, cardio ... why does everyone misuse this term and then **** on people for saying "tone."

Anyway, are you telling him he needs to work his aerobic energy system (oxidative) in order to improve his sprinting (glycolytic and phosagen) energy systems? I don't follow ...

Banned
    Have you had your VO2 max and other things tested to ensure that there's nothing physiological holding you back? VO2 max is mostly genetically predetermined but you can get SOME training increase. Some people just have a genetically crap VO2 max and as such they will always be worse off when it comes to extended exercise. For every Lance Armstrong or Norwegian x-country ski champ, there's someone else on the other end of the bell curve.

Also, what's your blood pressure like?

Personally? I wouldn't stress about it. If you're a sprinter, and you're training to get fast over short distances, your long distance endurance is irrelevant. I also think that training for distance/endurance is also counterproductive to your main goal (being fast in the 100/200) in that it will be catabolic, no?
    Last edited by Relentless; 11-17-2006 at 10:12 AM.

I might look into some of that Relentless. Yes, I am training for sprints, the 200 specifically, and I can see that my weight training has helped. I know what your saying about training for long distances being counterproductive to sprints, and I agree. But, I'm not even worried about long distance runs, I'm saying my stamina is much much lower than anybody I've ever seen. Running a mile isn't my concern, even if I do get dead last, I'm worried about getting tired from simple physical activities that any normal person would be fine doing. I get out of breath from jogging short distances, from our house to the garage for example, and I don't think it's normal. Sometimes I literally feel like I'm carrying another 50 pounds of pure fat.

Your stamina would probably be better if you were carrying 50lbs of extra fat instead of 50lbs of extra muscle. Muscle requires oxygen and energy (fat doesn't), neither of which your body has adapted to providing yet. Like I said before, you can certainly improve this, but at your height and weight, especially considering it's not your "default" weight, you're going to have to bust your ass with conditioning work to make improvement.

I used to be in your situation - carrying groceries into the house would leave me winded. Even at 180, I have to work hard to improve my conditioning. While I still have a lot of work to do, the past year has seen my conditioning (and strength) go through the roof. Check out my journal if you're interested for examples.

Iced Earth - Stormrider ArchAngel777's Avatar
    Extra weight does take its toll... I think extra fat is actually more of a problem than extra muscle. There are some great athletes with decent builds that can run the 5K pretty respectable. As far as a marathon? Probably not.

Over the course of my weight loss (fat loss, specifically) my running and fitness has improved dramatically. I now consider myself pretty damn fit, though I suppose that is subjective. I am still aiming to lose another 15 pounds of fat and I expect my performance to increase further in all aspects.
    Last edited by ArchAngel777; 11-18-2006 at 12:41 PM.

Perpetual Hunger
    Found something here for you Invain.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Let me know what you think.

Im on Week 2 of it and so far so good.