The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Iron4Life

27 days left - routine help please - 1st competition

OK, I going to compete in my first PL contest on Dec. 9th.. 27 days from today. I could really use some help with your best recommendations on what to do before then. Of coarse, real life events like business travel and the Thanksgiving holiday are in there.. so I've tried to accomodate. Competitors comments especially welcome and appreciated.

Last 5 days Workouts:
    Wed: DE Squats & ME Bench
    Thur: DE DLs & ME Traps
    Fri: Light Upper Back & Abs
    Sat: light cardio
    Today: Squats - Couple of heavy Singles, Walkouts
    Next 27 Days:
    Mon-Nov. 13: - Heavy DL Singles, Heavy BP Single
    Tues-Nov. 14: Biz Travel
    Wed-Nov. 15: Biz Travel Hotel Light Cardio & Abs
    Thur-Nov. 16: Biz Travel Hotel Stretching & Pushups
    Fri-Nov. 17: Biz Travel Hotel Light Cardio
    Sat-Nov. 18: DE Squats Light Upper Back
    Sun-Nov. 19: DE BP & Heavy Abs
    Mon-Nov. 20: DL reps - medium weight, maybe a 20 repper
    Tues-Nov. 21: Light Upper Back - including Traps - perhaps some OLs
    Wed-Nov. 22: Squats 20 rep session - light abs
    Thur-Nov. 23: Thanksgiving-Gym closed - Charity work all day
    Fri-Nov. 24: Family all day event
    Sat-Nov. 25: Heavy ME BPs & Med Upper Back
    Sun-Nov. 26: Heavy ME DLs & Heavy Abs
    Mon-Nov. 27: HEavy ME Squats
    Tues-Nov. 28:Biz Travel
    Wed-Nov. 29:Biz Travel Hotel Light Cardio & Abs & Pushups
    Thur-Nov. 30:Biz Travel Hotel Light Cardio & Stretching
    Fri-Dec. 1:Biz Travel
    Sat-Dec. 2: DE Squat & DE BPs
    Sun-Dec. 3: Light DLs - just to flush out any tightness
    Mon-Dec. 4: Med Upper Back
    Tues-Dec. 5: light BP & light Abs
    Wed-Dec. 6: Rest - Light Stretching
    Thur-Dec. 7: Rest - light Cardio
    Fri-Dec. 8: travel 2.5 hrs to contest location
    Sat-Dec. 9: CONTEST!!

Whatta ya think??
    Thanks in advance for your comments.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I don't know about having the ME squats and ME DL so close to each other. Other than that it looks pretty good.

I do remember that someone once said "You can't get much stronger three weeks out from a meet, but there is a lot you can do to get weaker or get hurt"

BTW, which competition is this?
    Last edited by LiftingKid; 11-12-2006 at 08:13 PM.
    Squat:525lbs
    Bench:335lbs
    Deadlift:440lbs

What I did (taking advice from others here also) was up the intensity of my workouts before my last competition (1st one for me, also). I started doing heavy doubles, triples, and even singles, but only trained bench, squat, deadlift once a week. I made sure I stopped training and let my body rest a complete week before the competition. I ended up coming up only 5 lbs short of my previous PR for bench with a shoulder injury, besting my deadlift by 25 lbs, and my squat my 5 lbs at the meet. I have just since started up using a westside system, and will probably try the deload phase next time.

Good luck. By your stats you seem to be a pretty strong guy. What weight class are you entering?
    Weight: 194.0 lbs.Height: 5' 11"
    Raw PR's 425/340/534
    Goals for '10:
    Put on size and git Strong(er)
    Raw Goals: 450 Squat, 365 Bench, 570 Deadlift

"Weak points come from not doing the things you suck at doing." -Dave Tate

Iron4Life
    Lifting Kid.. thanks.. I don't know if I have a choice with the ME SQs and DLs.. it's so compressed with the biz travel..

I'll be competing in the 100% Raw contest Dec. 9th - Burlington, Vt.

Big-o-Boy.. thanks.. most of my MEs are singles & doubles.. and I'm hoping the last week I have enough rest.. I just get "tight" quickly, so I'm hoping active rest is ok.

I'm still a fat arse.. weighed 241 yesterday.. will compete in 242's.. so I'm not really that strong.. but I've got a few more yrs..

Not time I will be at 220s.. going to start upping the "cardio" workload after this meet.. HIIT, crossfit, etc..

I'll try to offer something more concrete later, but a couple things you might consider:

*If you are really busy, you may need to increase your training volume in other ways (like supplemental exercises at home, etc.)

*Doing heavy DLs the day after heavy squats (or vice-versa) is probably not the best idea. If it were me, I would do lighter form work for DLs and do more supplemental exercises. I'm not a fan of high rep DLs at all.

*I've always needed a little more BP work than SQ or DL. I can get by (and even gain) with 1 or 2 SQ/DL sessions/week, but if I have less than 2 BP sessions/week, I don't make progress.

*Looks like you are doing quite a bit in that last week before the meet. I don't know why you feel you need upper back work on the Monday before the meet, but IMHO rest would serve you better.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Banned
    I think you may wanna rest a little more than that! In my opinion, there should be at least an entire week with no work at all, just eating plenty of food and resting, you won't lose any strength, trust me. The day of the competition, just relax, have fun, and be ready to explode with confidence and power! Good luck!

Cross trainer & DL addict mikesbytes's Avatar
    Yeh, the DL - Swats back to back bounced out at me too.

Sat-Nov. 25: Heavy ME BPs & Med Upper Back
    Sun-Nov. 26: Heavy ME DLs & Heavy Abs
    Mon-Nov. 27: HEavy ME Squats
    Seems easily fixed by doing Heavy ME BPs & Med Upper Back on the middle day.

Also, after 27th November, there is only one heavy day before the comp on the 9th Decmeber. Was wondering how most power lifters taper before a comp? I'm new to powerlifting, so I'm not the one to answer that. In other sports where I do have experience, the trend is to maintain intensity, but for shorter durations during the taper period. Don't know if this method is applicable to power lifting.

I've attached a spreadsheet describing a 5 week plan to competition, you may get some ideas out of it.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Iron4Life
    Thanks Sensei, SExybeast and Mike..
    I've taken your advice and am changing things up a bit...

The only thing I am worried about the last week.. is getting "tight"...
    When I don't workout for a week or so.. the first day back I am "tight".. it's tough to get mobile.. even with a good warmup.. so I am thinking about just doing some real "light" workouts that week.. nothing that my body needs to repair or hope to grow with.. just to keep the joints limber.

Cardio doesn't keep the joints "loose" for me..

Am I crazy? Or am I old? Or what?
    Last edited by Bob; 11-21-2006 at 07:16 AM.

NASA KY CHAIRMAN NASAKYCHAIRMAN's Avatar
    Your 1 week before the meet workout schedule:
    Sat-Dec. 2: DE Squat & DE BPs
    Sun-Dec. 3: Light DLs - just to flush out any tightness
    Mon-Dec. 4: Med Upper Back
    Tues-Dec. 5: light BP & light Abs
    Wed-Dec. 6: Rest - Light Stretching
    Thur-Dec. 7: Rest - light Cardio
    Fri-Dec. 8: travel 2.5 hrs to contest location
    Sat-Dec. 9: CONTEST!!

1. I would suggest using Dec 2 as your last workout because you don't want to compete overtrained or not recuperated. Then, rest from Dec 3-8 & showtime on Dec 9.

2. Since you plan to compete in full meets, I would suggest train the way you compete. Try doing all 3 lifts in a workout sometimes. This will get you use the 3 lift competition on meet day.

3. Your first attempt on meet day should be a weight that you can do for 3 reps.

4. Read these articles:
    http://www.nutritionxp3.com/articles...wertactics.htm
    http://www.deepsquatter.com/strength/meetsheet.htm

Don't forget about your supplements.

http://www.atlargenutrition.com/nutr.../products_id/9

Opticen, Nitrean, ETS, and Creatine 500 are the supplement keys to you adding the most mass possible in the shortest period of time. Get yours now and get on the road to optimize your body!

J.T. HALL
    http://atlargenutrition.com/jt_hall.php