The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Iron4Life

Side Bends for Powerlifting

Just a couple of questions on side bends.. I just recently added them to my program, b/c I read somewhere that the guys at Westside do them.

If you powerlift, do you do Side bends?

What day do you do them? Ab day? low back day?

And what is a good ratio compared to your Deadlift? I can pull 395 x 5 DL and do 100 DB x 5 Side bend... does that sound right?

And one last one out of fear.. the last time I had side bends in my program (late 80s) I was more into BB'ing.. so I would keep the reps to 10-15. I believe that they made my obliques thicker giving me a wider looking waist. I think if I keep the reps low (3-5), they won't grow, right? lol.. my waist is already wide enough..

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I do sidebends(when I think to)
    I do them with abs
    Don't worry about a ratio. I've had and other I know have pulled muscles in lower back while doing side bends.
    FYI I use 50-70lbs on side bends, 12-20 reps, deadlift around yours.
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

I used to do regular side bends until I learned about Saxon side bends, which I feel are much better. Instead of having it at your side, you press it overhead and then bend to that side. Makes it a lot tougher. I typically do them at the end of a workout, 1-2x a week.

I'm not doing them now, but I know I should be. They are a great exercise. Saxon side bends are great too, but they put some stress on your shoulders. Windmills are another option.

http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=67935
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Iron4Life
    Thanks guys.. I have done the Saxon Side Bends but with a BB.. yeah, those are killers..

Windmills I haven't but that's a great idea Sensei..

I think I will keep the side bends for a few more workouts.. and then switch it up again..

Banned
    Side bends will get you strong

I'd rather do russian twists. I loath Saxon Sides, I gotta use them greasy god damn shiny little single lbs DBs for them. My testosterone actually lowers when I touch one of them, and during the exercise I just want to take the damn thing and beat my skull into a bloody messy pulp - but that would upset management because someone would have to buff it back to its shiny glory.

I love heavy sidebends for working my core.

what exactly is heavy for a side bend? what weights do you guys do? (or other people you know)

Iron4Life
    Tommy.. thanks.. those do look cool.. I think I'll try them today..

Savvy.. I don't know.. I asked the same question in the original post.. I've been looking for the weights they use at Westside, but nothing specific.. they just say they do side bends.. no comparitive to their DLs?????

Quote Originally Posted by bearwolf
    Tommy.. thanks.. those do look cool.. I think I'll try them today..

Savvy.. I don't know.. I asked the same question in the original post.. I've been looking for the weights they use at Westside, but nothing specific.. they just say they do side bends.. no comparitive to their DLs?????
    i dont think a side bend number has anything to do with a deadlift number, are you meaning picking a bell or bar off the floor to lockout, but from the side? if your meaning this then id consider that to be a one arm deadlift

side bends to me are picking up a bell or bar, an bending to side, aiming to lower it down to about knee level, then bring it back up using your core strength..yes?

Iron4Life
    Quote Originally Posted by SaVvY
    i dont think a side bend number has anything to do with a deadlift number, are you meaning picking a bell or bar off the floor to lockout, but from the side? if your meaning this then id consider that to be a one arm deadlift

side bends to me are picking up a bell or bar, an bending to side, aiming to lower it down to about knee level, then bring it back up using your core strength..yes?
    Actually Savvy it has to have some relationship... otherwise the Westside boys wouldn't do them.. hehe..

Strengthening the core.. especially the obliques in this pulling motion.. has to have some pulling benefits for the DL. I'm looking for that ratio.. or at least a comparison to what competitive PL'ers have when doing them.

Quote Originally Posted by bearwolf
    Actually Savvy it has to have some relationship... otherwise the Westside boys wouldn't do them.. hehe..

Strengthening the core.. especially the obliques in this pulling motion.. has to have some pulling benefits for the DL. I'm looking for that ratio.. or at least a comparison to what competitive PL'ers have when doing them.
    i think its just that it gives you a more solid base, giving you better numbers overall - i dont think theres actually a specifc ratio, as your not even using the same muscles

I've done one-arm side deadlifts before and can say that by my own experience grip tends to be the limiting factor. I generally do reps with anywhere from 135 for higher reps to 185 for lower reps. That's using a barbell. Balance is definitely an issue as well when using the barbell.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

1 arm barbell deadlifts emulate more of the hex bar deadlift than a regular deadlift, much more directly upward leg motion. I use db's for side bends and i'll use weights ranging from 40 for high rep sets to 70's/80's for sets of 10.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinStarke
    1 arm barbell deadlifts emulate more of the hex bar deadlift than a regular deadlift, much more directly upward leg motion. I use db's for side bends and i'll use weights ranging from 40 for high rep sets to 70's/80's for sets of 10.
    is this in kilos or pounds?

lbs, I do em nice and slow and get a good stretch.

lbs, I do em nice and slow and get a good stretch.
    yeh, i just had no idea what kind of weights are used so i didnt know

Use whatever weights you want man, you're a good deal larger than me so i'm sure you could handle larger weights. I look at it as an exercise you wanna focus on just using good form and getting that good stretch rather than trying to set a "PR" in sidebends.

Use whatever weights you want man, you're a good deal larger than me so i'm sure you could handle larger weights. I look at it as an exercise you wanna focus on just using good form and getting that good stretch rather than trying to set a "PR" in sidebends.
    im heavier, but im also over a foot taller - more rom makes for less weight on the bar (not that im at all strong)

i think ive only done side bends 3 times, twice ages ago, an once the other day - the other day i did 104lbs x 10 each hand, then 137lbs x 5 each hand

from what i was taught at college, the form on side bends should be to bend only sideways, keeping your upper/lower body in a straight line (to avoid using your back), and to let to bell come down to around knee level or a bit higher/lower for some - depends on how flexy you are

Yah man they're pretty simple but definitelly a great exercise.