The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Problem with my benching ?

My lifting buddy said that it's awkward how I go slow at the bottom half the movement (Barbell touching chest then to Halfway ROM), and then at the top half of ROM to lockout and that it looks like I'm bouncing it.

He says it wastes strength or something like that and I should just let the bar go up naturally.

I thought my triceps were just more powerful than my chest.

I asked him if I bounced the weight at the bottom but he said no, so is this normal ?
    5'7 425 lbs. 85% bodyfat Need to gain 20-40 lbs.

New journal - http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=86957 Boring I know, but whatever.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

u just have stronger triceps than ur chest from what i hear. a lot of people are like that at near max weight.

Andrew
    Do what needs to be done.

Every time I was in the hole I swear a turd kissed my underwear. - Hatred
    I love snatch. I think I'm addicted to it. - Stray
    I like a woman I can climb - Jinkies
    Personally ... I'm a vagitarian - Brawl
    I don't box, but I'll have a dance off with any of you tools. When I get all my 230 lbs shaking and grooving you bet your a$$es you'll get served. - BilltheButcher

spacetime manipulator VariantInterval's Avatar
    I have the opposite case as you.I'm fast off the chest and slow at the top, but I KNOW that my tris are on the weaker side (compared to everything else), so that would explain it.

Banned
    In my opinion, go fast on the way up, controled on the way down, but not slow, then as soon as the bar touches your chest, you explode again, this creates the most power in my opinon, allowing you to lift more weight, therefore creating more muscle growth. In my opinion, pausing at the bottom, like powerlifters do, causes muscle tears and it's very dangerous, that's one of the things I don't like about powerlifting, they make you pause.

Why would pausing be MORE dangerous than touch and go? You are taking rebound force out of the equation then which would mean LESS instantaneous force being exerted upon the muscles, tendons, and ligaments.

Besides, if you are powerlifting, you should train how to lift as you would in a meet (i.e. with a pause), otherwise you will have an inaccurate view of what you can lift with proper form.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Guido
    Why would pausing be MORE dangerous than touch and go? You are taking rebound force out of the equation then which would mean LESS instantaneous force being exerted upon the muscles, tendons, and ligaments.

Besides, if you are powerlifting, you should train how to lift as you would in a meet (i.e. with a pause), otherwise you will have an inaccurate view of what you can lift with proper form.
    That was just my opinion guido! and if you don't wanna agree with it that's fine!

Wannabebig Member
    are you lifting with a shirt or raw? When I lift with a shirt I tend to "load the shirt" by bringing my elbows in towards my ribcage and "unwinding" up towards lock out. A lot of people will tell you that you are lifting wrong with your elbows in/out, but I thing it is all personal preference. If you hit your max or better with your elbows in/out then you are lifting right for you. Otherwise, change the way you bench. Remeber, your bench also starts with your legs and back. These are the biggest muscles in your body. They are what the muscle that are going to get you your "BIG" bench. Build these muscle ups.

I bench raw...
    5'7 425 lbs. 85% bodyfat Need to gain 20-40 lbs.

New journal - http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=86957 Boring I know, but whatever.