Thread: ATF squats whats the advantage?

Life is short..SO LIVE IT! Validus's Avatar

ATF squats whats the advantage?

Quick question but I have a friend who swears by ass to floor squats. My question is what is the advantage? And can ATF squats hurt your knees in the longs run? Thanks guys any opinions would be great.

ATF squats are actually BETTER for your knees than parallel squats. So no your knees will be fine. An advantage would be stronger legs, more ROM but less weight used. They are great.
    Last edited by Natetaco; 11-14-2006 at 02:49 PM.
    Bench:225x5, 255x1
    Squat:350x5
    Dead:370x5, 415x1

alot of people say better on knees but when i bury it which isnt much below parallel its alot of stress on my knees, but its going to give a bit more posterior chain development (hams glutes hips, the most important muscles)
    2000 or bust

atg / atf / full squats are basically just an all around better way of doing squats imo - your never worrying about if you are hitting par or not, an its more rom, its a fuller movement, its better for the legs

ATF definitely involves the glutes and hip flexors more than just going parallel. And no they are not bad for your knees as long as you keep your knees in line and don't let them bow inward.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

i wonder why it feels like so much pressure when i go deep? i know its a great exersize though.
    2000 or bust

But when you do deep squats you have to worry about your lower back. Your lower back will round a bit, you have to be flexible or something.
    Last edited by SkinnySadMan; 11-14-2006 at 05:57 PM.
    5'7 425 lbs. 85% bodyfat Need to gain 20-40 lbs.

New journal - http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=86957 Boring I know, but whatever.

The key is not to bounce at the bottom of the rep..that will destroy your knees.

Don't laugh at me but...

Are you really supposed to put your butt on the floor/grass during ATF squats? I don't see how it is possible without falling over. Actually I can't even do it without weights. My legs don't bend like that.
    From 155 lbs to 200 lbs (PICS/VIDS INCLUDED)

Height: 6'0"; BW: 202lbs; Age: 24; BF: ~11%
    155lbs [07-01-06] 176lbs [09-14-06] 179lbs [09-21-06] 182lbs [10-02-06] 184lbs [10-18-06] 186lbs [10-23-06] 187lbs [11-08-06] 189lbs [11-19-06] 190lbs [11-21-06] 191lbs [12-21-06] 194lbs [12-31-06]

Bench: 250lbs; Squat: 350lbs lbs; Deadlift: 430 lbs

Military: 111lbsx8; Dips: BWx30; Pullups: BWx10; WChestP: 360lbsx7; 45LegP: 470lbsx20; C Raise: 360lbs; BB Curl: 105lbsx3; Lat Pull: 195lbsx5

Quote Originally Posted by Stumprrp
    i wonder why it feels like so much pressure when i go deep? i know its a great exersize though.
    Prolly need to work on your flexibility. It's worth the effort of sticking with it.

What others have said certainly is what I would have said had I replied earlier. The full range of motion involved in a full squat distributes forces out more evenly--and naturally--between hips, knees, and lower back, the way your body was designed to work.

Your pelvis was built for just this purpose. Seems a shame to take those strong and efficient ball and socket joints out of the lift by stopping too early.

Stopping at parallel, while it's a great way to build strong and huge quads, and looks good cuz you can stack more plates on the bar, compounds the forces exerted on your knee joints by requiring them to not only bear the heavier weight relatively unassisted by the large muscles in your butt, but by forcing them to also bear the deceleration forces involved in bringing that weight to a complete stop and reversing course midstream, so to speak.

If it's less than full range of motion it really ought to be called a "sit". Calling a lift a "squat" somehow just sort of implies that you will actually be squatting.

Quote Originally Posted by -Superman-
    Don't laugh at me but...

Are you really supposed to put your butt on the floor/grass during ATF squats? I don't see how it is possible without falling over. Actually I can't even do it without weights. My legs don't bend like that.
    No, you don't actually put your butt on the ground. That's probably physically impossible for most folks and would certainly be dangerous to anyone who could do it. It's called ATG simply to imply a full natural range of motion and to differentiate it from quarter squats, half squats, parallel squats, and everything else that calls itself a squat.

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnySadMan
    But when you do deep squats you have to worry about your lower back. Your lower back will round a bit, you have to be flexible or something.
    Not if you do them right...
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnySadMan
    So thats why my lower back was aching from the squat session last night. Ill remember to focus on keeping it straight.

Every squat variation should be used. No method is better than another. I believe that low-bar wide stance powerlifting squats are superior for building the hamstrings and glutes than close stance oly squats.

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by temps
    So thats why my lower back was aching from the squat session last night. Ill remember to focus on keeping it straight.
    Use lower weight until you get the form down.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Quote Originally Posted by sCaRz*Of*PaiN
    Use lower weight until you get the form down.
    Definately. Hurts the ego a bit but i'm keeping the weights low and the reps high.
    Last edited by temps; 11-14-2006 at 08:23 PM.

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    "Leave your ego at the door"

And you don't have to use high reps. Just use a weight you have complete control over.
    Last edited by sCaRz*Of*PaiN; 11-14-2006 at 08:28 PM.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Hmmm, I'll try and record my form again. Even with just the barbell if my hamstrings are touching my calves and even if I keep my chest up my lower back is still rounded a bit.

My upper back is arched, but there is still some kind of rounding in the lower back, I'll try and post pics... (I think I already had a long time ago, I should try and find it...)

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...ighlight=squat

I'll try and post another pic, I think I am more flexible now, also I have weightlifting shoes ....Also I am not holding a barbell in that pic.
    Last edited by SkinnySadMan; 11-15-2006 at 02:45 AM.
    5'7 425 lbs. 85% bodyfat Need to gain 20-40 lbs.

New journal - http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=86957 Boring I know, but whatever.

Banned
    Very Interesting thread!

Quote Originally Posted by beatlesfreak
    Prolly need to work on your flexibility. It's worth the effort of sticking with it.

What others have said certainly is what I would have said had I replied earlier. The full range of motion involved in a full squat distributes forces out more evenly--and naturally--between hips, knees, and lower back, the way your body was designed to work.

Your pelvis was built for just this purpose. Seems a shame to take those strong and efficient ball and socket joints out of the lift by stopping too early.

Stopping at parallel, while it's a great way to build strong and huge quads, and looks good cuz you can stack more plates on the bar, compounds the forces exerted on your knee joints by requiring them to not only bear the heavier weight relatively unassisted by the large muscles in your butt, but by forcing them to also bear the deceleration forces involved in bringing that weight to a complete stop and reversing course midstream, so to speak.

If it's less than full range of motion it really ought to be called a "sit". Calling a lift a "squat" somehow just sort of implies that you will actually be squatting.
    That's one of the best explanations I've heard yet, beatlesfreak. You're right on the last point. I think maybe it should be called just "deep squatting" or "full squatting" instead of ATF (though that's what I call it in my own journal).

If you are a powerlifter, then by all means you should practice squatting to at or just below parallel so you can handle more weight. Otherwise, if you are just lifting to build muscle or for bodybuilding, there is really no need to do anything other than ATF, ATG, or whatever you want to call it.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle