Thread: homemade t-bar

homemade t-bar

In someone's journal they mentioned they had made a t-bar row at home by anchoring the end of an olympic bar. I tried this a few years ago, ...just wondering how you did it....whoever that was.

I make them at the gym when I do back.

Just take an Olympic bar, anchor one end, put weight on the other, and hold on using a close grip handle with the bar in the crook of the handle

ND
    "damn...can't beat logic like that.
    NAte is exactly right." - Tryska

I should be more specific....how do you anchor the end. I have tried, and it just comes out of place. I have access to a t-bar now, but just wondering

Yeah theyre GREAT! Damn I love them... much better then regular bentover rows or standard t-bar rows in my opinion.

Hmmmmmmmmm, interesting
    But I'm still wondering how y'all anchor the thing

Put the barbell in a corner with a weight on top of it...

thanks

Tbar rows: To setup this exercise at home is actually quite simple. If you train at a gym skip to the bottom now. Take your Olympic bar and place one end in a corner (you can use the corner of your cage/rack if you have one). When you progress to big poundages here, you will need to devise a way to secure this end. I have done so by screwing a U-shaped metal bar to the floor in my basement. I simply slide the end of the bar into this upside down U-shaped bar. If you have a training partner, he/she can simply place their foot loosely over the end of the bar. Once you have setup the bar, begin to load the opposite end with plates. For range of motion purposes, you need to start with 25 lb plates or smaller. As you add weight, you can begin to place larger plates further out (for example, I load 4 25s followed by 2 35s and then finally a 45 lb plate). Finally, you will need to get a v-bar grip, you know, the grip shaped like a 3 dimensional V with the grip handles parallel and spaced about 4" apart. You will place this (with the handles facing upwards) on the bar just behind where you load plates (the apex of the V will be under the bar with the handles coming upwards on either side of the bar).

To actually perform the movement, stradle the bar with your legs. Start by essentially deadlifting the weight into a standing position. From this position bend over to approximately a 70 degree angle. Keep your lower back arched as you would in a squat. Now, lower the weight until your arms are fully extended, then lift the weight back into your mid-abdomen, repeat. You will probably naturally want to start the movement with a bit of a pull from the lower back, this is acceptable if you maintain good form and are not jerking the weight. When in doubt, train stricter, not looser. This is a fantastic exercise for the entire upper back and will help to build you that monster back and v-taper you are looking for! It will also place less stress on your lower back than bent-over rows.

Pretty Fly for an Old Guy W8_4_Me's Avatar
    What an excellent suggestion! I bought some weights that came with an olympic bar and was trying to come up with a plan to convert it to a t-bar. This is perfect. THANKS!
    "A winner...knows how much he still has to learn, even when he is considered an expert by others; A loser...wants to be considered an expert by others, before he has even learned enough to know how little he knows." - Sydney Harris

"It takes a big man to cry, and an even BIGGER man to laugh at that man!" - Jack Handey

"It's simple. If it jiggles, it's fat." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Welcome!

Love t-bar... that's what I miss the most about going to a real gym. That and the standing calf machine that you can pack weight on.... can't WAIT to try this!
    "A winner...knows how much he still has to learn, even when he is considered an expert by others; A loser...wants to be considered an expert by others, before he has even learned enough to know how little he knows." - Sydney Harris

"It takes a big man to cry, and an even BIGGER man to laugh at that man!" - Jack Handey

Has anybody ever used one of these?

Delphi-
    Wow interesting bro.... never seen anything like it. Anyway lats and rhomboids and lower traps get hit HARD with a homemade t-bar.

OMG!!!

I am going to order this today!

Perfect.

Thanks for the info.

i've seen guys rig the bar like that at my gym. of course they don't anchor it like chris suggests so they get these nice little indentations on the padded floor, but what the hell.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

Update...

You can't order it from the site, you have to found out where to get it in your area.

Go to google.com and search on LBB-28

*hopes this isn't considered spamming- not meaning to do so*
    Last edited by Delphi; 02-09-2002 at 09:01 AM.