The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Realistic goals

Weaker

Realistic goals

Hi all,

First of all, i apologise if this is in the wrong area of the forum. For arguments sake i'm currently weighing in at about 165lbs. I'm 17 years old. I'm actually losing sleep because i'm worrying so much if i'll be like one of the 'big guys' at the gym one day. I was thinking that i need to add on at least something like 40lbs. I mean, at the moment its winter so im trying to bulk up a bit then cut before next summer, but after that i'm hoping todo a more 'long term' bulk, i'm so pissed off with being this weak and measely size.

Is it a realistic goal to add on something like 40lbs? Will i ever reach that sorta weight at any point in my life?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Yes.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Something to consider is that you are 17 and will not fill out for a few years. By no means do not stop your lifting but know that over time you will build mass.

That being said go for it and see what you get out of it. What is your build like?

Weaker
    I would post pictures, but i'm a bit of perfectionist and really hate the slight symmetry issues in my back, so i'll give some measurements instead...they are also disappointing lol. It won't be for everything, but i'm sure the arm size will give you a rough idea of the very crappy level that i'm at.
    Arms: 14" (Flexed)
    Chest and Back: 42" (Edit: not flexed)
    Last edited by Portboy; 11-15-2006 at 10:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Portboy
    Hi all,

First of all, i apologise if this is in the wrong area of the forum. For arguments sake i'm currently weighing in at about 165lbs. I'm 17 years old. I'm actually losing sleep because i'm worrying so much if i'll be like one of the 'big guys' at the gym one day. I was thinking that i need to add on at least something like 40lbs. I mean, at the moment its winter so im trying to bulk up a bit then cut before next summer, but after that i'm hoping todo a more 'long term' bulk, i'm so pissed off with being this weak and measely size.

Is it a realistic goal to add on something like 40lbs? Will i ever reach that sorta weight at any point in my life?
    People have said my goal (155 lbs in July to 200 lbs by Dec 31st of this year) was unrealistic. I am now 190 lbs and stronger than ever with 1.5 months to go. Now all the haters are jumping the bandwagon.
    From 155 lbs to 200 lbs (PICS/VIDS INCLUDED)

Height: 6'0"; BW: 202lbs; Age: 24; BF: ~11%
    155lbs [07-01-06] 176lbs [09-14-06] 179lbs [09-21-06] 182lbs [10-02-06] 184lbs [10-18-06] 186lbs [10-23-06] 187lbs [11-08-06] 189lbs [11-19-06] 190lbs [11-21-06] 191lbs [12-21-06] 194lbs [12-31-06]

Bench: 250lbs; Squat: 350lbs lbs; Deadlift: 430 lbs

Military: 111lbsx8; Dips: BWx30; Pullups: BWx10; WChestP: 360lbsx7; 45LegP: 470lbsx20; C Raise: 360lbs; BB Curl: 105lbsx3; Lat Pull: 195lbsx5

by no means am I experienced but like someone mentioned above your not done growing at all. I remember my Junior and Senior pics from highschool when I was 17 and 18 and It's crazy how much bigger I am now at 21. I body filled out more in my face, neck, shoulders and such. Pry about 20lbs worth and that was without working out at all. So Yes 40lbs is definatley possible. I dont know how much you've been working out in the past but I wouldnt say your doing so bad at 165lbs right now. I'm Just starting to Lift now but Im 180lbs, and my arms flexed are only 13.5" and my chest is only 41"...your definatley on the right track Just keep bulking, I see no reason you cant gain 40lbs in the next year. Hell I'm hoping to be around 215-220lbs by April after my bulk and Lifting....thats 40lbs and I dont have the luxury of my body still maturing, I think Im about done growing naturally and Its all up to me from here.

Superman, you really need to shorten that signature, man.

Portboy, 40 lbs is definitely an attainable goal if yoiu put your mind to it. Just eat a lot and keep lifting and you'll look back in a year or two and realize you've come a long way.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Eat plenty of good food and train hard 2-3 times per week, knowledgeably, sleep 8 hrs a night and stick with it with intensity and it's your for the taking. And much, much more.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

Like Superman said, it's possible, and there are plenty of people on here who have accomplished that or more, in not too too much time. Personally, I went from 186-187 to a high of 232-233 in six months, so that's 46 lbs or so (check the link in my sig for pics if you want).

It's definitely possible, and if it's something you want that badly, then don't settle for anything less. All it takes is dedication to both your diet and your training. Eat clean, but eat A LOT, and always train with intensity.

Weaker
    Thanks alot guys, what you've said has given me a real confidence boost, i should be able to sleep easy now. Thankyou so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Guido
    Superman, you really need to shorten that signature, man.

Portboy, 40 lbs is definitely an attainable goal if yoiu put your mind to it. Just eat a lot and keep lifting and you'll look back in a year or two and realize you've come a long way.
    I will soon. My gains progress has added a lot of lines . I am like Biggy when he said, "I never thought that hip-hop would take me this far". I say, "I never knew compounds and eating would take me this far".

From 155 lbs to 200 lbs (PICS/VIDS INCLUDED)

Height: 6'0"; BW: 202lbs; Age: 24; BF: ~11%
    155lbs [07-01-06] 176lbs [09-14-06] 179lbs [09-21-06] 182lbs [10-02-06] 184lbs [10-18-06] 186lbs [10-23-06] 187lbs [11-08-06] 189lbs [11-19-06] 190lbs [11-21-06] 191lbs [12-21-06] 194lbs [12-31-06]

Bench: 250lbs; Squat: 350lbs lbs; Deadlift: 430 lbs

Military: 111lbsx8; Dips: BWx30; Pullups: BWx10; WChestP: 360lbsx7; 45LegP: 470lbsx20; C Raise: 360lbs; BB Curl: 105lbsx3; Lat Pull: 195lbsx5

The Big Boys Menu Plan by JM Blakely (in the Diet and Nutrition Forum): http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=78823

IMHO should be required reading for all newbies struggling to get bigger.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/