The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Heart rate...

Wannabebig Member

Heart rate...

I am currently cutting after a lengthy bulk in which I gained about 42 lbs. I have had to step up the cardio due to having gained more fat than I perhaps had expected and it taking longer than I had hoped to drop off...! Anyway, I am currently doing cardio twice a day, 45 mins (morning empty stomach -except some isolate and ECA and evening post-workout). I have opted for SS over HIIT (and I know there are those who swear by HIIT but I just prefer SS even if it does take longer!). My question though is about the target heart rate. Conventional wisdom has my max heart rate at 220 - age (28) = 192. Max proportion of fat burning at 65% max = 125.

Now that seems very low - when I do it at that it barely feels like I am exercising. Then recently a personal trainer I know told me that more recent research suggests the optimum fat burn to be 180-age - which is 152 for me. This feels much more like exercise but it still only necessitates fast walking on the treadmill with a bit of an incline and I dont get out of breath so still pass the "fat burning" talk test!!

Anyway, I just wondered what other members' views were about this.. (preferably without getting a barrage of messages telling me to switch to HIIT!!)

Thanks!
    Craig

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Iced Earth - Stormrider ArchAngel777's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by delphys50
    I am currently cutting after a lengthy bulk in which I gained about 42 lbs. I have had to step up the cardio due to having gained more fat than I perhaps had expected and it taking longer than I had hoped to drop off...! Anyway, I am currently doing cardio twice a day, 45 mins (morning empty stomach -except some isolate and ECA and evening post-workout). I have opted for SS over HIIT (and I know there are those who swear by HIIT but I just prefer SS even if it does take longer!). My question though is about the target heart rate. Conventional wisdom has my max heart rate at 220 - age (28) = 192. Max proportion of fat burning at 65% max = 125.

Now that seems very low - when I do it at that it barely feels like I am exercising. Then recently a personal trainer I know told me that more recent research suggests the optimum fat burn to be 180-age - which is 152 for me. This feels much more like exercise but it still only necessitates fast walking on the treadmill with a bit of an incline and I dont get out of breath so still pass the "fat burning" talk test!!

Anyway, I just wondered what other members' views were about this.. (preferably without getting a barrage of messages telling me to switch to HIIT!!)

Thanks!
    Craig
    Switch to HIIT. /chuckle

With that asside, if you choose to do SS cardio, then I would target 75% heart rate for 20 - 30 minutes. The lower the heart rate, the better oxygenation which means you burn a higher percentage of fat versus muscle/carbs. However, you still burn muscle doing it that way, and because the intensity is so low, it requires you do have very very very long cardio sessions to burn any ammount of fat. People don't swear by HIIT because they prefer it (though some do) but because it truly is better. HIIT burns the fat AFTER you workout... SS burns the fat while you work out, but as such a slow rate that you have to do it for long, very long periods of time to burn any fat (muscle gets burned with it due to the long duration).

Totally up to you man, but HIIT will do wonder for you and make you more physically fit in my opinion.

I personally do BOTH SS and HIIT, but for different reasons. I am concerned about overall conditioning and thus, I see the need for both types of training. But to stick with only SS? No way...

Well, good luck.

Wannabebig Member
    As far as SS vs HIIT goes I have read a few articles now which advocate SS maintaining it burns less muscle than HIIT... In fact I was under the impression that provided it is kept to under 45mins-ish that there was very little muscle loss with SS?
    Does anyone have any idea as to to the comparative facts? i.e. how long of SS cardio does it take to burn the same amount of fat as HIIT (including the "post-workout" fat burn from HIIT) and secondly in what amount of time of SS cardio would the same amount of muscle be burnt as in HIIT?

Iced Earth - Stormrider ArchAngel777's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by delphys50
    As far as SS vs HIIT goes I have read a few articles now which advocate SS maintaining it burns less muscle than HIIT... In fact I was under the impression that provided it is kept to under 45mins-ish that there was very little muscle loss with SS?
    Does anyone have any idea as to to the comparative facts? i.e. how long of SS cardio does it take to burn the same amount of fat as HIIT (including the "post-workout" fat burn from HIIT) and secondly in what amount of time of SS cardio would the same amount of muscle be burnt as in HIIT?
    This has been answered countless times. Do a forum search on the topic and read up.