The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

width of grip on benching

First of all im 5'10-11 something like that and before now I had been benching with a thumbs length grip away from where the rough meets the smooth if that makes any sense. I started looking more into powerlifting and lots of powerlifters grips are pretty wide, I guess about ring finger on the rings. So I have started to do this but I can only press 5 pounds more with this grip than I can with close grip(index finger at rough and smooth). Is there something im missing here?
    Bench:225x5, 255x1
    Squat:350x5
    Dead:370x5, 415x1

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

the way you do it is how i do it, it is how i was taught so I never thought of it any other way til I read something. I widened out about 3 more inches or so and it helped my bench.
    [Journal | My Diet]
    [Bench 170x5 | Squat 255x5 | Deadlift 300x5]
    "It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried."

Quote Originally Posted by Natetaco
    First of all im 5'10-11 something like that and before now I had been benching with a thumbs length grip away from where the rough meets the smooth if that makes any sense. I started looking more into powerlifting and lots of powerlifters grips are pretty wide, I guess about ring finger on the rings. So I have started to do this but I can only press 5 pounds more with this grip than I can with close grip(index finger at rough and smooth). Is there something im missing here?

you bench isnt just gonna magically be like 45 pounds better beccasue u moved your had out a little bit - keep moving heavy weight - it take time dedication and determination to move more weight
    Way down this road, in a gym far away, a young man was once heard to say, "I've repped high and I've repped low, No matter what I do my legs won't grow."

He tried leg extensions, leg curls, and leg presses, too. Trying to cheat these sissy workouts he'd do. From the corner of the gym where the big men train, Through a cloud of chalk and the midst of pain.

Where the big iron rides high and threatens lives, Where the noise is made with big forty fives. A deep voice bellowed as he wrapped his knees, A very big man with legs like trees.

Laughing as he snatched another plate from the stack, Chalking his hands and monstrous back, Said "Boy stop lying and don't say you've forgotten, Trouble with you is you ain't been SQUATTIN"

i was just wondering if my grip is in the right place really, since my close grip and regular grip max is the same.

Banned
    could be to close, but first question is what are you trying to achieve on your bench? just lift more weight or grow muscle in certain areas?

if your going for just being able to lift more weight alot of power lifters take a wide grip so that they do not have to lift the bar that far (ofcoarse if you go to wide you take it away from the larger muscule groups)
    if your trying to shape your tri's and chest a middle grip can help with those, and a narrow ofcoarse hits the tri's more.

I have a narrow grip by standard, im about 5'9" and space my hands an inch + a thumb space from where the bar is narled (so about an inch further then your placement) its considered narrow, but it really hits my chest as i always feel it in the chest after a workout, and my tri's have gotton most of there size from this. I am more of a chest pusher on this lift as my shoulders dont do much and are not as big in comparison

also it takes a while for you to get used to a new grip, being effective, so i alsways moved my grip slowly to change it.

Go where is most comfortable for you, some ppl do best with a wide grip (for example. Deeder), others with a narrower grip... I do about the same as you right now, and with my being a chick its probably safe to assume you are on the narrower side of the grip range. If you havnt tried anything different then try moving your grip around a bit till you find where you are most comfortable. But like 8.8 said, you wont magically gain 50 lbs by changing your grip!

Do whatever you like best. Thats about all I can think of to say....
    Stats:
    Height: 5' 5.5"
    Weight: 180 lbs
    Max lifts: Squat:320 lbs, Bench: 195 lbs, Deadlift: 290 lbs.
    Max Comp. Total: 805 lbs

Picture Links
    Most Recent Pix, August 2006, Febuary 2006, Starting Pictures (2005)
    MY JOURNAL

Its all about whats comfortable for you and you're only strongest with whatever your used to. Personally I bench ring fingers on the rings which is pretty wide for my short ass, its how i've benched for several years now so its just how I do it but with raw benching its not too wise to go very wide.

Banned
    so what are you trying to do bench more or target a portion of the muscle?

smoke-going for strength, dont care about bodybuilding anymore.

kevin-yeah you have the same placement as me and your alot shorter. Humm, guess ill just have to mess around with it then.

Im gona do pinkeys on the rings next time, see how that feels. Its harder to keep your elbows close to your body the wider grip. Ill just give a little wider than shoulder width next time.

I am strongest with a slightly wider than shoulder width grip with my elbows in. I have a lot of power off my chest and I have a strong lock out. It's that mid point that I struggle with. If I can power it off my chest quick enough I can usually get through to lock out. If I don't get that strong initial push I usually fail at max weight.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Bill Starr says that one's grip should have the elbows directly underneath the wrist in a straight line. This allows one (or so he claims) to focus all force directly upwards.

and keeps the weight off the shoulders

Quote Originally Posted by smokinHawk
    so what are you trying to do bench more or target a portion of the muscle?

Well... IF your go for a wider grip.. You'll hit the chest more.. So, it's not really trying to bench more just hit the chest more..

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 8.8
    you bench isnt just gonna magically be like 45 pounds better beccasue u moved your had out a little bit - keep moving heavy weight - it take time dedication and determination to move more weight
    I agree with this, this is so true, what makes anyone think that they'll gain so much strength just by switching their grip, that's just ridiculous. I personally prefer a wide grip, it gives me the most power, plus I always felt awkward with a medium or narrow grip, it felt really uncomfortable, probably because I have wide shoulders. I've also noticed that the best chest developments I have are ever seen, like Arnold and Franco used a wide grip for both incline and flat bench presses. I've noticed that people that prefer a narrow grip tend to develop a kind of narrow chest, and that's not what I'm looking for.

Gamer/Lifter
    Its not ridiculous. I Ihave seen a inch or two wider grip or narrower grip add up to 20 Lb sto a bench max out...

Its hitting your strengths. If you got a amazing chest wide grip is good, if you got amazing tris more narrow will serve you better.

Me I normally do it around the ring.
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press.
    "It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech.
    "It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate.
    "It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Banned
    Thank you tiny

Ok to clear it up, I never said I was looking for a HUGE difference in my bench when changing grips. In the past my close grip bench has always been 10-20 pounds less than regular grip, but now its the same.

I grip with my pinkies at the hooks but my chest seriously overpowers my triceps and I have issues with lockout. If you can pull off the narrower grip then go for it, but if you have more trouble at the top of the lift then widening will probably help once you get used to it.
    bests:
    bp 335x1 (unequipped), sq 430x5 belt, dl 475x1 sumo (unequipped)
    ----------------------------
    Cut: Start/250 Current/247
    Abs or bust: my journal
    ollld pics

Quote Originally Posted by Songsangnim
    Bill Starr says that one's grip should have the elbows directly underneath the wrist in a straight line. This allows one (or so he claims) to focus all force directly upwards.
    That does make sense. It would also reduce stress on the elbows and shoulders too now that I think about it.

Index fingers on the rings, get your arch big, get your belly big, tuck your elbows and bring it low.

Then plan a road trip to SC Barbell and learn how to lift from some of the best.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Quote Originally Posted by dw06wu
    I grip with my pinkies at the hooks but my chest seriously overpowers my triceps and I have issues with lockout. If you can pull off the narrower grip then go for it, but if you have more trouble at the top of the lift then widening will probably help once you get used to it.
    i have the same problem, you gotta play with it, one big bencher at my gym told me to have it fairly narrow and said something about when you shove someone your power is in ect, he benched with pinkys SLIGHTY in the rings, so kinda narrow, and throws 355 for 3 like it was 135.

its different for everyone, i change all the time, right now its middle on the ring, and my closegrip is middle on smooth/rough.
    2000 or bust