Thread: Squat and Deadlift on same day

Squat and Deadlift on same day

I currently do Deadlifts on my leg day along with Squats. Do you think I should move Deadliftin to back day or is it fine with legs? And is it more productive to do Squats with Deads or do them on seperate days?
    Don't Cry Because Its Over; Smile Because It's Happened
    Shut Up and Do Some Deadlifts

As of 11/13/06

Age - 19
    Ht - 6'2''
    Weight - 260lbs x 1 (goal -20lbs)
    Bench - 260lbs x 1 (goal +40lbs)
    Squat - 550lbs x 1 (happy for now)
    Deadlift - 405 x 1 after 2 sets of 6 with 315 (goal +95lbs)
    Supplements - Whey Protein, Fish Oil, Multi-Vitamin.
    outnumber

id move it to back to spread it out better.
    [Journal | My Diet]
    [Bench 170x5 | Squat 255x5 | Deadlift 300x5]
    "It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried."

is it more productive to do Squats with Deads or do them on seperate days?

Everyone has their own best way. As long as you are regularly doing both exercises and making progress, do what fits you best.

Personally, I do squats at every workout, so by default I have to do deadlifts on a squat day--usually Fridays. Yeah, it hurts, and yeah, I suppose I might make faster progress if I devoted a separate day for deads, but who knows?

I like the challenge, I'm still making measurable progress, and I make sure to do squats first, do something else [like bench press] in the middle, and then come back to deads at the end of the workout. I'd rather just do it and be done with it so I have the whole weekend to recover rather than set aside a separate day and have less free time for other activities.

Just do what works for you.
    Last edited by beatlesfreak; 11-15-2006 at 09:24 PM.

i do deadlifts at the beginning of the week with back, and then i do SLDLs with legs to really hit the hamstrings.

like they said though, everyone is different, so just do what feels best for you!
    The Iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and listen to all kinds of talk, get told you're a god or a total bastard. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. The Iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black. I have found the Iron to be a good friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds.

Quote Originally Posted by beatlesfreak
    is it more productive to do Squats with Deads or do them on seperate days?

Everyone has their own best way. As long as you are regularly doing both exercises and making progress, do what fits you best.

Just do what works for you.
    True. Although both squats and Deads are very taxing exercises to your body. You'll be real tired by the end thats for sure. I personally always have deads with back days. But like the above post said, it's up to you.
    "Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education alone will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan "press on" has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." - John Calvin Coolidge

9 months-20lb gains! (2005 Newbie gains)-A bit of motivation for beginners

August 2008 Progress Pics

I do my chest with back so I do my squats and DL's on the same day. Legs are a bit rough...my last session I did squats, DL's, Front squats, and calf raises

I think it depends how your layout of your entire routine is...think of it as a "bonus" exercise where it can fit on on a few days
    Last edited by bics56; 11-16-2006 at 06:54 AM.

Look at it from a hormonal point of view. Squats and Deads are thought to be testosterone and GH releasing movements. I feel it would be more beneficial for you to spread them out so you have a longer duration of the hormonal response throughout the week.
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

Banned
    Alternate which one you do first, so one doesn't always get your max effort.

I agree, you will probably see more progress if you seperate them. They are similar in certain areas and you want to give your best on them because they are a compound lift. What is your current split like?
    Stats:
    Height: 5' 5.5"
    Weight: 180 lbs
    Max lifts: Squat:320 lbs, Bench: 195 lbs, Deadlift: 290 lbs.
    Max Comp. Total: 805 lbs

Picture Links
    Most Recent Pix, August 2006, Febuary 2006, Starting Pictures (2005)
    MY JOURNAL

It's a Republic dammit! reloaded's Avatar
    I do squats and regular deadlifts on the same day, usually one right after the other. It hurts, it's tiring, but it's rewarding. Legs are looking a lot better since I've started to put them together in my split.
    Too cool for school.
    My Blog

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PGreezy
    I currently do Deadlifts on my leg day along with Squats. Do you think I should move Deadliftin to back day or is it fine with legs? And is it more productive to do Squats with Deads or do them on seperate days?
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Never do squats and deads on the same day....If you are going balls to the wall, by the time you are finished doing squats(LEGS) you should be spent.

How can you divide your energy? One movement(or both) will suffer.....
    PDI Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Rhino290
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Never do squats and deads on the same day....If you are going balls to the wall, by the time you are finished doing squats(LEGS) you should be spent.

How can you divide your energy? One movement(or both) will suffer.....

agreeded!!!
    Way down this road, in a gym far away, a young man was once heard to say, "I've repped high and I've repped low, No matter what I do my legs won't grow."

He tried leg extensions, leg curls, and leg presses, too. Trying to cheat these sissy workouts he'd do. From the corner of the gym where the big men train, Through a cloud of chalk and the midst of pain.

Where the big iron rides high and threatens lives, Where the noise is made with big forty fives. A deep voice bellowed as he wrapped his knees, A very big man with legs like trees.

Laughing as he snatched another plate from the stack, Chalking his hands and monstrous back, Said "Boy stop lying and don't say you've forgotten, Trouble with you is you ain't been SQUATTIN"

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 8.8
    agreeded!!!

well Hello doll....Fancy meeting you here......
    PDI Pro

What about cleans? That's a deadlift and a squat in the same rep ...

Oh no!

Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony
    What about cleans? That's a deadlift and a squat in the same rep ...

Oh no!

completely different- explosive movement( but most "powerlifters" or bodybuilder dont do cleans)
    Way down this road, in a gym far away, a young man was once heard to say, "I've repped high and I've repped low, No matter what I do my legs won't grow."

He tried leg extensions, leg curls, and leg presses, too. Trying to cheat these sissy workouts he'd do. From the corner of the gym where the big men train, Through a cloud of chalk and the midst of pain.

Where the big iron rides high and threatens lives, Where the noise is made with big forty fives. A deep voice bellowed as he wrapped his knees, A very big man with legs like trees.

Laughing as he snatched another plate from the stack, Chalking his hands and monstrous back, Said "Boy stop lying and don't say you've forgotten, Trouble with you is you ain't been SQUATTIN"

Occupational Hypnomania
    What about that Bill Starr routine,
    http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow...Linear_5x5.htm

I thought it kicked ass or something?
    Real men cry over milk, whether its spilt or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Turnip

On wednesday you do squat and DL using the 5 x 5 routine, but it is a light squat day.
    That's a picture of Scarlett Johansson.

If you're really squatting 550, you would know what the optimal way to train is by now.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadlifter
    If you're really squatting 550, you would know what the optimal way to train is by now.

thats not true, you can always learn something.
    Face it: biceps are the muscle that classifies you as a muscle man.

Striding across the fields, carrying a vorpal blade, cometh Clawhammer! And he gives a bloodthirsty bellow:

"As sure as predators devour prey, I shall paint the town a sanguine shade of doom!!!"
    Hilarity

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadlifter

I agree if you can DL after squatting 550 (you have some serious endurance or are on some good drugs)... your lower back is going through enough squatting that weight to add deadlifts to the mix without your spinal erectors healing is a herniated disc waiting to happen. Move DL's to back day
    Age 30
    Height 5' 9"
    weight 265
    Chest 53" cold
    Arms 20 1/2" cold
    legs 31" cold
    calfs 19" hot

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by pumptime250
    I agree if you can DL after squatting 550 (you have some serious endurance or are on some good drugs)... your lower back is going through enough squatting that weight to add deadlifts to the mix without your spinal erectors healing is a herniated disc waiting to happen. Move DL's to back day
    Unless 550 is light weight

Quote Originally Posted by Turnip

Ahhh... This is a different story; this is a routine used for powerlifters (as far as I know they are the only ppl insane enough to do them). Deeder is currently doing this routine and he has seen huge gains, however, he is also training for copmetitive powerlifting. It is hugely taxing but if you are planning on cometing then it is a great kickoff point!

What are your goals in lifting? How long have you been lifting for?

If you are relatively new then probably a split more like the WBB workouts or BGB would be better, so you can develop your muscles until you stop the so -called 'newbie-gains'. Bill Starr will destroy you if you dont already have a good basis set up.

Geeze dude, if you would have mentioned this earlier we could have saved this whole thread

[edit- Just looked at your stats.. Dont worry about it, obvioiusly youve been lifting for a while to squat 550 (im assuming thats free-weight not smith). Keep going with Bill Starr, you will be exhausted but it is a great program for building strength. are you planning on competing?)
    Last edited by Ruffian; 11-17-2006 at 09:51 AM.
    Stats:
    Height: 5' 5.5"
    Weight: 180 lbs
    Max lifts: Squat:320 lbs, Bench: 195 lbs, Deadlift: 290 lbs.
    Max Comp. Total: 805 lbs

Picture Links
    Most Recent Pix, August 2006, Febuary 2006, Starting Pictures (2005)
    MY JOURNAL