The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

maybe a stupid question about WBB1 but Im serious....

Ok I'm starting WBB1 tomorow and I curious how much weight I should be using for each exercise. Now I know that no one can give me an exact weight because Its a matter of my size and strength, but whats the best way to find out how much weight I should be using to start off? Should I be using alot of weight so that Its close to the max I can do before failure? Or does It matter what kinda pysich Im trying to accomplish? By the way Im trying to gain alot of mass, Im in the bulking stage and Im trying to go from 185 to 215lb. With an In take of 4000-6000 calories a day.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Quote Originally Posted by JDiesel
    Ok I'm starting WBB1 tomorow and I curious how much weight I should be using for each exercise. Now I know that no one can give me an exact weight because Its a matter of my size and strength, but whats the best way to find out how much weight I should be using to start off? Should I be using alot of weight so that Its close to the max I can do before failure? Or does It matter what kinda pysich Im trying to accomplish? By the way Im trying to gain alot of mass, Im in the bulking stage and Im trying to go from 185 to 215lb. With an In take of 4000-6000 calories a day.
    Impossible to answer.

From 155 lbs to 200 lbs (PICS/VIDS INCLUDED)

Height: 6'0"; BW: 202lbs; Age: 24; BF: ~11%
    155lbs [07-01-06] 176lbs [09-14-06] 179lbs [09-21-06] 182lbs [10-02-06] 184lbs [10-18-06] 186lbs [10-23-06] 187lbs [11-08-06] 189lbs [11-19-06] 190lbs [11-21-06] 191lbs [12-21-06] 194lbs [12-31-06]

Bench: 250lbs; Squat: 350lbs lbs; Deadlift: 430 lbs

Military: 111lbsx8; Dips: BWx30; Pullups: BWx10; WChestP: 360lbsx7; 45LegP: 470lbsx20; C Raise: 360lbs; BB Curl: 105lbsx3; Lat Pull: 195lbsx5

well I suppose Im screwed then , Im gonna assume since Im trying to bulk and get mass I need to do alot of weight less reps....I'll see what I can do....should be fun

Test your strength before starting the program

Don't kill yourself with really heavy weight on day 1 dude. Just use good form and get used to the movements. After the first few workouts you'll know better how much weight is the correct amount.

Grab a low weight, if it's to easy go heavier.

How much heavier? Depends on how easy that first weight felt.

It's a learning curve, you'll figure it out.
    Make Shift IF diet
    My Training Experience
    GET BODY SMART
    Goals:
    CF WOD and Recomp...
    "My fault. I was fiddling with the Gravitational Constant of the Universe again.
    I've set it back - you might need to reboot, though..." -Built

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal--
    nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong attitude" - Thomas J

"Obsessed is what the lazy call the dedicated" - Slim Schaedle

thanks I pretty much assumed trial and error....I'll get back tomorow with what worked for me. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JDiesel
    Im gonna assume since Im trying to bulk and get mass I need to do alot of weight less reps....
    Just to make sure the converse of this is cleared up - doing higher reps and less weight will not make you cut. You need to lift heavy all the time. Getting "cut" is a product of diet, not the amount of reps you do.

You need to lift heavy with lower reps. Not just when you're bulking, though.
    SAM and FRODO tie up GOLLUM.
    GOLLUM: No! Smeagol not into ropes, nassty kinky hobbitses.
    FRODO: We just want you to take us to Mordor, you sicko.
    GOLLUM: Mordor? Hobbitses having little Goth phase, maybe? Very angsssty, wanting to go to Mordor, yes yes. Can Smeagol offer black eyeliner to angsssty hobbitses?
    SAM: You stop talking to Mr.--hmm. (to FRODO) You know, you wouldn't look half bad in eyeliner.

How is it impossible to answer?
    Just decide how many reps you want to do in a given set and find the amount of weight that you can lift this many times to failure (or near failure). If you try a weight and you can easily do the set then think of that as a warm up, if it was fairly difficult, but you could still go heavier then think of it as a working set, but go heavier on the next set.

Start with zero. Learn the movements, then gradually add weight. Your first few weeks should feel extremely easy (ie, no going to failure).

And 4000-6000 calories is a huge range. Maybe you should narrow it down to a specific number of calories you NEED so you don't get fat.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

is way too skinny!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony
    Start with zero. Learn the movements, then gradually add weight. Your first few weeks should feel extremely easy (ie, no going to failure).

And 4000-6000 calories is a huge range. Maybe you should narrow it down to a specific number of calories you NEED so you don't get fat.
    This is what I was going to say. When I started lifting in general I just did the bar, or maybe with very low weight on it, because you need to learn the form in general before you go all out.
    Squat = Not enough
    DL = Not enough
    Bench = Not enough

Big 3 = Not enough

wellp my results from tonight are as follows....I was not at full max on any exercise, I tried to start easy for my first session so my muscles can get use to this new routine, I'd say I was at about 70-75% of my max....none the less kind of embarrasing for my age, height, and weight. I'm following the WBB1

1. Flat Barbell Bench Press 2x8 reps - 135lbs
    2. Low Incline Dumbell Press 2x8 reps - 2x35lb dumbells, total of 70lbs
    3. Dips 2x8 reps, these are very hard!
    4. Chin-ups, 2x8 reps, dont really have a problem here, I like this exercise, my partner struggled!
    5. Deadlifts, Im still trying to perfect the form so I went real easy on weight, 2x8 reps, 135lbs
    6. Barbell Rows 2x8 reps, 95lbs
    7. Barbell Shrugs 2x8, 85lbs

So How big of a wuss am I, I know I really need work in my chest area I'v got a feeling Its one of my weaker areas. I'm excited for Saturdays leg workouts because me and my partner were both soccer players all our lives so we should have some more strength there.

I still would have started with zero weight until you learned the movements, but I guess if those weights were light for you, it should be okay.
    Last edited by Anthony; 11-17-2006 at 05:17 AM.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

I agree, they were by no means light, but I know they wernt my full potential. I'm familiar with the benching and chest exercises from previously training so Im confident about my form on those. But I definatley am still hesitant on the deadlifts and rows, thats totally new to me. I think I was doing them the right way but was unsure, next time I may ask one of the fellas for some tips who looks like they may know, last night no one was around. I'm feeling the burn today in my upper shoulders and upper back, but primarily in my lower mid back, Its a good burn though. Not feeling as much burn in my chest as I use to, guess I should step up the weight there.