The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I love BGB <3

I love BGB <3

So I started Baby Got Back today. I love it. The only problem is I can't do rack pulls at my gym which I really wanted to try. No worries though, I just did deads and got a new PR for my 5x5 (340x5), coulda done more but my grips pooped out. Would it be bad to use wrist wraps? I don't really like to use wraps or anything, usually just chalk. One bad thing is I paired dl and bench press on the same day, didn't really like that I will have to tweak it a bit. All in all it was a great day, feelin strong and pumped. Can't wait for day 2!!!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I say don't use straps.

Other people will say to use them.

Depends on how much grip work you have. I don't have trouble holding onto the bar, so I am happy with my grip work.

Hey, that's great! Another convert!

For racks - can you not set the bar between two benches? That ought to work.

Personally, I like straps for racks - you can lift more on a rack pull than a deadlift, so I'd hate for my grip to limit me there, but it's up to you. If you'd rather build your grip before your back (or along with it), go strapless. If you only care about building a purdy back (hand goes up), get the straps.

Is cutting down to 9% Jordanbcool's Avatar
    Built I havent said anything in a while but I love you.

Alot.

When I post my bulking pics I'll dedicate my size all to you and food. BGB is perfect I'm up to 220 just under 20%.......once I left the machines alone and started REALLY eating, my strength and size went up fast.

In the 400's now with deadlifts. Thanks alot!

P.S. Lat spread is pretty nice too my lovely lady
    Last edited by Jordanbcool; 11-16-2006 at 09:47 PM.
    Getting back in the groove
    "I'll tell you a secret. Something they don't teach you in your temple. The Gods envy us. They envy us because we're mortal, because any moment might be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we're doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now. We will never be here again." - Achilles, (Troy 2004)
    Stats
    ATF squat- 275 RAW
    Deadlift- 415
    Bench- Two 100lbs DB's four times
    190lbs 15% BF (Estimate)

Quote Originally Posted by Built
    Hey, that's great! Another convert!

For racks - can you not set the bar between two benches? That ought to work.

Genious I might say screw the straps for now and get my hands on some chalk!

I've been doing BGB now for a couple of months, it's a fantastic routine and works perfctly for me.
    So I'd like to add my thanks, Built.

"Thanks Bulit" sticky anyone? =P

Jordan...did you folloe BGB exactly or did you tweak it a little bit?

I noticed that on Built's sample workout of BGB, regular deadlift cannot be found. Why is this?
    age---------22
    weight------140 145 150 155 160 165 170 and counting
    height------ 5'9"

Bench 225x1 | Squat 325x1 | Deadlift 355x5
    My Journal

Remember - if it were easy then everyone would do it.

<blushing furiously, our hapless heroine attempts to regain her composure...>

Thanks fellas.

Burgundy - read this month's Get Built - Jordan did BGB with a little extra chest work. I can't remember which option he did, senior moment.

hardgainer - because my deadlift form is excellent. Which means I remove all the skin from my shins when I do 'em lol! That's why I break the movement into RDLs (more hamstring emphasis) and rack deads (more back).

No other reason, and you could do deads instead of rack pulls if you prefer.

Yeah I too was a convert and I love it. Haven't been seeing big gains because I can never seem to eat enough.. maybe once I'm home from college.

Speaking of eating enough Built, when would you recommend starting a cut?

The idea is to cut when ever you feel like a fat ass.

I want to try BGB, is it very intense? Cause thats what im lookin for

Quote Originally Posted by BFGUITAR
    The idea is to cut when ever you feel like a fat ass.

I want to try BGB, is it very intense? Cause thats what im lookin for
    I'm about 2 weeks into my bulk and I feel like a fatass =P

Quote Originally Posted by EvanH

You know what I mean :P

Hehe! Yeah man! If I cut when I felt fat I'd only weigh about 130lbs!
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

Decide a weight/date/bodyfat level you will bulk to, then stop there. Decide it ahead of time or you won't follow through.

BGB did wonders for me, it caught me back up to my previous strength and then kept me gaining at a moderate pace. I did change things here and there, small changes at best but the structure of the workout did do alot for me. I have noticed that even underneath of all the fat I carry I can also see good mass put on while strength has took off and I maintained bodyweight.

I agree with the rack pulls, use straps. I can rack pull a good bit more then I can dead and it wouldn't happen without straps. Its a two sided sword though. A chain is only as strong as its weakest link. Why have a 600 pound pull if you cant do it without straps, sure your back is stronger then hell but your real world strength wouldn't reflect very well on that 600 pound pull.

Built... add about 45 kids to your convert list.

Basically every rower is doing your program next off-season.

I showed it to the coach, he fell in love.
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

Genious I might say screw the straps for now and get my hands on some chalk!

personally i love straps but if you prefer not to use them you can reverse your grip(meaning one hand palm facing you and the other palm facaing away from you) that helps me tremendously i even do a reverse grip when i use straps
    Way down this road, in a gym far away, a young man was once heard to say, "I've repped high and I've repped low, No matter what I do my legs won't grow."

He tried leg extensions, leg curls, and leg presses, too. Trying to cheat these sissy workouts he'd do. From the corner of the gym where the big men train, Through a cloud of chalk and the midst of pain.

Where the big iron rides high and threatens lives, Where the noise is made with big forty fives. A deep voice bellowed as he wrapped his knees, A very big man with legs like trees.

Laughing as he snatched another plate from the stack, Chalking his hands and monstrous back, Said "Boy stop lying and don't say you've forgotten, Trouble with you is you ain't been SQUATTIN"

I agree with 8.8... try out a mixed pronated-supinated grip before you buy straps. That alone helps tremendously.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

With rack pulls I have to use straps, my grip is not great at all. I use a supinated grip on my rack pulls, I have not tryed to rack pull with a over/under grip though Ill try that this week and see how it goes.
    Success is achieved by doing a little more than you thought you could, and a lot more than anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by 8.8
    personally i love straps but if you prefer not to use them you can reverse your grip(meaning one hand palm facing you and the other palm facaing away from you) that helps me tremendously i even do a reverse grip when i use straps
    I do use mixed grip. I am going to invest in some straps and see how they work out. If I don't like them I will just use them for maxing out with deads >_> hehe. It's not like their expensive :P