The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home gym to Real gym...

I've been using an actual gym for about a year now. I never realized it before, but I was looking over my old journal and my lifts went up a lot when I switched. My max for squat at my home gym was 185, when I went to a real gym it jumped to 225 and that was easy (I know cause I used to right if something was difficult or not :P ) My deads went from 225 to 285. This happen to anyone else?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Night and day difference between my home gym and the real gym.

Like cant even compare. Pretty much like going from T-ball to the major leagues.

how so? because you dont have the right equipment to do more? or becuase your not motivated to work out?
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

Quote Originally Posted by detard
    how so? because you dont have the right equipment to do more? or becuase your not motivated to work out?
    huh?

Quote Originally Posted by EvanH
    huh?
    I think he is saying a DL is a DL anywhere you do it...a squat is a squat anywhere you do it. Why do you do better in a gym when it is the same at home?

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bics56
    I think he is saying a DL is a DL anywhere you do it...a squat is a squat anywhere you do it. Why do you do better in a gym when it is the same at home?
    Sense of security at the gym?

I don't know. It might just be the mindset I am in when I go to the gym. Also I was worried about weight falling off of the bar and smashing through the floor in my house. The room I used wasn't known for it strong floors.

Read this -------------->> pipes's Avatar
    I've been using an actual gym for about a year now. I never realized it before, but I was looking over my old journal and my lifts went up a lot when I switched. My max for squat at my home gym was 185, when I went to a real gym it jumped to 225 and that was easy (I know cause I used to right if something was difficult or not :P ) My deads went from 225 to 285. This happen to anyone else?

This makes no sense to me. You're saying that you'll squat 185 max at home one day and the very next day you can go to a 'real gym' and max out at 225?? So, impressing the ladies gives you that much of an extra boost?
    5'11" 220lbs.

BENCH - 330 x 1
    SQUAT - 405 x 1
    DEADLIFT - 450 x 1

"Whenever you do a thing, act as if all the world were watching." -- T.J.
    "Every success is built on the ability to do better than good enough." -- Unknown

Read this -------------->> pipes's Avatar
    I don't know. It might just be the mindset I am in when I go to the gym. Also I was worried about weight falling off of the bar and smashing through the floor in my house. The room I used wasn't known for it strong floors.

So you weren't really doing your max at home......mystery solved.
    5'11" 220lbs.

BENCH - 330 x 1
    SQUAT - 405 x 1
    DEADLIFT - 450 x 1

"Whenever you do a thing, act as if all the world were watching." -- T.J.
    "Every success is built on the ability to do better than good enough." -- Unknown

so its the not having the correct equipment part that was making you lag in a home gym?
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

Give the man a break.

For me, I have to have a real gym to go to. I have all the weights I need at my house, but it's just the environment. There's no substitute for the gym environment.
    Forever Goal: Strength

Weightlifting sucks. I just like to lift heavy things.

Quote Originally Posted by pipes
    This makes no sense to me. You're saying that you'll squat 185 max at home one day and the very next day you can go to a 'real gym' and max out at 225?? So, impressing the ladies gives you that much of an extra boost?

You caught me! I made it all up. I must be an attention whore or something. -_-

I have everything I need here, so no. The club/gym environment grosses me out and annoys me.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodninja
    I have everything I need here, so no. The club/gym environment grosses me out and annoys me.

I have a bottle of hand sanitizer for when I go to the gym. =P

Quote Originally Posted by Chris686
    Give the man a break.

give him a break? were just trying to figure out what his reasoning is behind a 60 pound increase by "going to the gym".
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

TJW

Wannabebig Member
    MY question is, do you have a spotter at home? Do you have one at the gym?
    Please contact Daniel Clough about advertising rates. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by fitlife
    MY question is, do you have a spotter at home? Do you have one at the gym?

Sometimes

It's not like the gains were over night. It happened over about a month. Why would I make this up?

give him a break? were just trying to figure out what his reasoning is behind a 60 pound increase by "going to the gym".
    Psychological reasons.

Not everything is physical. The psychological aspect of lifting is sometimes just as important as the physical.

A perfect example:
    Your dog just died and you feel sad. You have no real drive to go to the gym, but you do it anyways. Do you think your workouts will suffer?

Now I'll give you a break for being so narrow-minded.
    Last edited by Chris686; 11-22-2006 at 01:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris686
    Psychological reasons.

Not everything is physical. The psychological aspect of lifting is sometimes just as important as the physical.

A perfect example:
    Your dog just died and you feel sad. You have no real drive to go to the gym, but you do it anyways. Do you think your workouts will suffer?

Now I'll give you a break for being so narrow-minded.
    oh sure your workout MIGHT suffer. learn how to channel your emotions though. and also how does that have anything to do with going to the gym as opposed to a home gym. i know your giving an example of a psycological situation. but i still dont agree with your reasoning. mabye its because you dont wanna look like a pussy or whatever so you pump out more weight. but that could hinder your progress because it may result in bad form.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

TJW

oh sure your workout MIGHT suffer. learn how to channel your emotions though. and also how does that have anything to do with going to the gym as opposed to a home gym. i know your giving an example of a psycological situation. but i still dont agree with your reasoning. mabye its because you dont wanna look like a pussy or whatever so you pump out more weight. but that could hinder your progress because it may result in bad form.
    naw, my form if great. I am so happy I started this thread. You have all given me so much info. Appearently I just don't wanna look like a pussy and I wanna impress chicks... by chicks I guess I mean dudes cause I have seen about 2 females in the gym. Maybe I just made it up....

naw, my form if great. I am so happy I started this thread. You have all given me so much info. Appearently I just don't wanna look like a pussy and I wanna impress chicks... by chicks I guess I mean dudes cause I have seen about 2 females in the gym. Maybe I just made it up....
    Finally it comes out... You seem to thrive on the all the pent up sexual frustration at the gym.

Solution... Invite all your friends that don't get laid to work out with you at home!

I wish I had a home gym. I would LOVE that! I'd blast out my own music and scream and grunt all I wanted
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

Quote Originally Posted by deeder
    Finally it comes out... You seem to thrive on the all the pent up sexual frustration at the gym.

Solution... Invite all your friends that don't get laid to work out with you at home!

I wish I had a home gym. I would LOVE that! I'd blast out my own music and scream and grunt all I wanted
    lol. It's not great. I don't have a rack but I can blast hatebreed as loud as i want. Until my neighbors call the cops (which they do all the time >_<) and they make me turn it down.
    Last edited by EvanH; 11-22-2006 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Add

The atomsphere at the gym helps me to stay focused more often. I know this so it is why I go to a public gym. I need to seperate home life and working out, it's my time away to take it out on the iron.
    Change is the constant, the signal for rebirth, the egg of the phoenix.

Link to my change http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=85798

He doesnt start fights he just operates on high speed in a low speed zone all the time .-BRAWL

I give up. It's like talking to a 16 year old.

...wait