The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

ive always wondered...

(random question)

how do "retired" bodybuilders get back down to a normal shape after they quit the business? i know they cant just stop because everything will turn to fat.
    Height: 5'10"
    Starting Weight: 135-140lbs (August 1st 2006)
    Current Weight: got up to 177 but got it back down to 170lbs
    Current Goal: cutting

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

well for one they cut back calories and do it slowly if u cut ur calories your body wont be able to keep that much muscle there for you muscle will be burned like fuel
    Way down this road, in a gym far away, a young man was once heard to say, "I've repped high and I've repped low, No matter what I do my legs won't grow."

He tried leg extensions, leg curls, and leg presses, too. Trying to cheat these sissy workouts he'd do. From the corner of the gym where the big men train, Through a cloud of chalk and the midst of pain.

Where the big iron rides high and threatens lives, Where the noise is made with big forty fives. A deep voice bellowed as he wrapped his knees, A very big man with legs like trees.

Laughing as he snatched another plate from the stack, Chalking his hands and monstrous back, Said "Boy stop lying and don't say you've forgotten, Trouble with you is you ain't been SQUATTIN"

i figured that. they must have to be on some sort of routine
    Height: 5'10"
    Starting Weight: 135-140lbs (August 1st 2006)
    Current Weight: got up to 177 but got it back down to 170lbs
    Current Goal: cutting

Excess skin??? If Ronnie shrunk... hed have gigantic flaps, what would he do about them?

I think for those guys its all about making sure theyr on step ahead of the muscle going into fat, and gradually doing it. If theyr retired they wont be in a rush...
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

I think number one would be to take less steroids. They'd all shrink within a few years without all the steroids. Not to say that they cannot retain impressive physiques after they retire.
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

Look at new pics of arnold lol. Thats what happens when you dont totally just quit. Im sure you could still look very good after quiting the pro BBing scene
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

Muscle doesn't turn to fat.

No, but it does atrophy.

Height: 6'2
    Weight: 195 (01JAN09)
    B/F: 11%
    Goal Weight: 210
    Starting weight: 150 (10/1/04)

I'm sure they don't want to look like a 'normal' person, even after they retire as professional bodybuilders.

To get to that level you really have to want to be huge, not just want to be a pro bodybuilder. I doubt that desire vanishes as soon as they decide not to step on stage any more.

I'd imagine even if they stopped working out they would still retain more muscle than the average individual so long as they don't starve themselves. Besides, the muscle certainly wouldn't magically convert itself to fat. They might, however, become fat if they kept eating like a 250lb beast but stopped lifting like one.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by XxH0LyWaRsxX
    Look at new pics of arnold lol. Thats what happens when you dont totally just quit.
    Did you see Terminator 3?
    Last edited by sCaRz*Of*PaiN; 11-20-2006 at 01:06 PM.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Quote Originally Posted by Sontizzle
    (random question)

how do "retired" bodybuilders get back down to a normal shape after they quit the business? i know they cant just stop because everything will turn to fat.
    muscle cant turn to fat, just like a cat cant turn into a hammer - completely different things

I have a 2nd cousin who is a good 325lbs or so (huuuuuuge, mostly fat). I only recently found out he used to powerlift competitively. So I guess you really need to watch yourself when you quit. I assume he kept his appetite..

Banned
    ^ Competitive powerlifters don't tend to be the slimmest of all athletes anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by SaVvY
    muscle cant turn to fat, just like a cat cant turn into a hammer - completely different things
    That's debateable.

Last weekend I used my cat to frame in a bedroom.

Muscle doesn't turn into fat. However, if the ex-bb'er continues the caloric intake he had while working out but decreases the calories expended during exercise, then he'll gain fat.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

People like Arnie and Stallone maintain great physiques, but Sean Connery was pretty huge in the 1950's (before OO7) then in the sixties and seventies he got significantly smaller without getting fat. I guess he switched to cardio/circuit type training.

Im pretty sure Arnie looks horrible now.

Stallone is lookin ace now.

Check out Chris Dickerson at the Masters Olympia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Adqq6oq4NbU

A lot of respect to him. Although did you notice that dent in his pecs in the side chest pose? Is that maybe from an op to remove gyno (caused by gear)?