The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    lifting heavy

Hamstring/glute pain

So about 3 weeks ago I did something to my hamstring and glute. It hurt from the top of my butt down to my knee. It is not black and blue. I have not been able to train as consistently as I like because of it. For the first 2 weeks I ignored the injury and trained full speed ahead even doing rack pulls and squats. This injury has not gotten better at all. I am no laying off legs and have decided nto to work them until the hammy gets better? How long am i looking at here? When will this get better? What can I do to speed along the process? Right now its not really a pain but more of a nagging injury that flares up when i work it so shoulf I just ignore it and start training through the pain? Opinions please and please dont tell me to go to the doctor because I am not going to sit in a waiting room for 45 minutes for him to tell me that I need to rest it and take aspirin.
    Last edited by Ricky Bobby; 11-20-2006 at 06:51 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Well, I'm going to recommend seeing a doctor anyway... You're right though - he/she will most likely tell you to rest, ice, take NSAIDs.

Assuming that it's nothing too serious (but, again, you should check w. a qualified medical professional), I would recommend that you rest, ice, take NSAIDs and do light stretching and calisthenics to maintain mobility in the area. There's nothing you can do to "speed up" the process - just do the best you can to not slow it down...

Do NOT ignore it and try to train through the pain. I've done that and it's ALWAYS led to worse injury.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/