The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Iron man

So uh, I just watched all of the rocky movies 1-4.

Well actually, the fourth one is still on. It's on spike if anyone wants to watch it. He's just about to go to Russia. But damn, everytime I watch these movies it makes me wanna go train, hard. How about you?
    Currently:
    height:5'8.5"
    weight: 143
    bench: 185
    squat: 225x15
    Goals by January '08:
    weight: 145-150
    bench: 210
    squat: 250x10

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

It makes me want to punch meats.

man wtf?!?!?! i was watching spike this morning and it said rocky 1-4 at 1PM i checked back at 1:30 and at 2 and it still wasn't on, so i gave up ... damn
    Do what needs to be done.

Every time I was in the hole I swear a turd kissed my underwear. - Hatred
    I love snatch. I think I'm addicted to it. - Stray
    I like a woman I can climb - Jinkies
    Personally ... I'm a vagitarian - Brawl
    I don't box, but I'll have a dance off with any of you tools. When I get all my 230 lbs shaking and grooving you bet your a$$es you'll get served. - BilltheButcher

Iron man
    I think it started half an hour late because all of them went off half an hour later than they were supposed to. It makes me wanna run a lot and do sit-ups and hit my heavybag.
    Currently:
    Goals by January '08:

lifting heavy
    I love the soundtracks to all the rocky movies

Iron man
    I downloaded a bunch of the songs just now because I like to train to them. Usually gets me pumped to get an extra 1-2 reps up when I'm lifting.
    Currently:
    Goals by January '08:

Quote Originally Posted by Bohizzle
    man wtf?!?!?! i was watching spike this morning and it said rocky 1-4 at 1PM i checked back at 1:30 and at 2 and it still wasn't on, so i gave up ... damn
    Canada didn't get it. I turned it on after the Argos/Allouettes game and it wasn't on.

Is cutting down to 9% Jordanbcool's Avatar
    I loved rocky 1-4. Very inspirational.......I didnt like how they killed off carl weathers but o well. Still some great movies. Rocky II was a contributing factor to my bodybuilding..

I didnt like the 5th one though and I think the 6th one will probably be worse
    Getting back in the groove
    "I'll tell you a secret. Something they don't teach you in your temple. The Gods envy us. They envy us because we're mortal, because any moment might be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we're doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now. We will never be here again." - Achilles, (Troy 2004)
    Stats
    ATF squat- 275 RAW
    Deadlift- 415
    Bench- Two 100lbs DB's four times
    190lbs 15% BF (Estimate)

Rocky IV was one of the biggest piles of film-poo Sly ever made...
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei
    I dont understand why though. For me the first four were AMAZING....I thought the fourth one would've been a great ending one. He just fought his hardest fight and barely won....aside from the second rocky that was the best fight by far.

I just dont see what is motivating him to make two more.....
    "I'll tell you a secret. Something they don't teach you in your temple. The Gods envy us. They envy us because we're mortal, because any moment might be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we're doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now. We will never be here again." - Achilles, (Troy 2004)
    Stats
    ATF squat- 275 RAW
    Deadlift- 415
    190lbs 15% BF (Estimate)

A Rocky IV hater vs. Someone who says Rocky VI is going to suck while it looks so ****ing great, I don't know which side to hate the most.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordanbcool
    I dont understand why though. For me the first four were AMAZING....I thought the fourth one would've been a great ending one. He just fought his hardest fight and barely won....aside from the second rocky that was the best fight by far.
    Reasons why Rocky IV sucked:

There are a lot more, but I can't waste any more time searching right now...
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook

I thought you meant the 5th one.

The 4th one was amazing I thought. The fight with the russian was insane, and the part when hes driving in his car and has memories of apollo.......The whole movie came together really well. I also liked how it ended and its overall message.

The 5th one was terrible. The loud black announcer guy made me want to turn it off just so I didnt have to hear him anymore....I loved how only him, paulie and adrien were the only people showed from original movies.....i liked how, even though he was the most famous person across the world, he was living in a dump. O and the cheesy fight at the end was a compliment to the overall craptacularness of it.

I expect the sixth one to be worse but I'll probably buy it out of loyalty....it'll just collect dust though.
    Stats
    ATF squat- 275 RAW
    Deadlift- 415
    190lbs 15% BF (Estimate)

Quote Originally Posted by bodybuilderam
    Well actually, the fourth one is still on. It's on spike if anyone wants to watch it. He's just about to go to Russia. But damn, everytime I watch these movies it makes me wanna go train, hard. How about you?
    hell ya, i start doin push-ups on the spot as im watching... the 4th is my favorite by far.
    6'3"

*on the shelf*

man my favorite rocky scene comes from rocky 5, when rocky's brain is hemmoraging after the ghost of mickey came to tell rocky to keep fighting tommy gun and he wins. then theres that don king guy and he tells rocky touch me and ill sue, so then rocky lays hims out and is like "sue me for what?" like he didnt know that he jus committed assault. priceless.
    Last edited by JHolmes145; 11-13-2006 at 01:54 PM.
    to sculpt you must first have concrete
    You are only as stong as your weakest joint

this movie wasnt as bad as when rambo joined Afghanistan to fight against communist Russia in Rambo 3
    Last edited by JHolmes145; 11-13-2006 at 02:11 PM.
    to sculpt you must first have concrete
    You are only as stong as your weakest joint

What, you didn't like Sly's protrayal of a buff Abe Lincoln?
    Last edited by Guido; 11-13-2006 at 02:40 PM.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Quote Originally Posted by Guido
    What, you didn't like Sly's protrayal of a buff Abe Lincoln?
    LOL! I'll admit, I actually did like Mr. T in Rocky III, but lordy... don't people get tired of watching the training montages after a while? (edit: I forgot to mention the Apollo and Rocky frolicking on the beach scene!)

The whole "In The Air Tonight"-Miami-Vice-esque driving-flashback scene in Rocky IV made me want to vomit right there in the theater, even at 15 when I wasn't nearly as cynical as I am now. If I could find an image of Ivan Drago growling and walking toward the camera w. strobelight effects, I'd put it right here, but I have to go...
    Last edited by Sensei; 11-13-2006 at 02:47 PM.

LOL! I'll admit, I actually did like Mr. T in Rocky III, but lordy... don't people get tired of watching the training montages after a while? (edit: I forgot to mention the Apollo and Rocky frolicking on the beach scene!)

The whole "In The Air Tonight"-Miami-Vice-esque driving-flashback scene in Rocky IV made me want to vomit right there in the theater, even at 15 when I wasn't nearly as cynical as I am now. If I could find an image of Ivan Drago growling and walking toward the camera w. strobelight effects, I'd put it right here, but I have to go...
    Ack!

That was the BEST part!!
    Stats
    ATF squat- 275 RAW
    Deadlift- 415
    190lbs 15% BF (Estimate)

If I could find an image of Ivan Drago growling and walking toward the camera w. strobelight effects, I'd put it right here, but I have to go...
    How's this?

5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Quote Originally Posted by Jordanbcool
    I didnt like how they killed off carl weathers but o well.

He needed to start getting in shape for Happy Gilmore.

Iron man
    Are they really going to have a sixth one?
    Currently:
    Goals by January '08:

Quote Originally Posted by bodybuilderam
    Are they really going to have a sixth one?
    ya its already finished... Dec. 22nd
    6'3"

*on the shelf*

Quote Originally Posted by DeHartD
    ya its already finished... Dec. 22nd
    amen! the final countdown is on!

lol, is that the one with the Russian character (dolph lundgren)?
    I can't bare to watch it. The speech scenes make me cringe. It is embarassingly horific.