The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 150 1231151101 ... LastLast
    TJW

Gatorman's Quest with Sheiko

Hi all!! My name is Rob and I have been a member her for a while and mainly just read all the great info. Well I have finally decided to post my journal since I got tired of putting it in a word document. After doing the 30 lbs in 30 days routine, I decided to do the original ws4sb routine, now that my groin and knee were healed(loose cartilage underneath knee cap and pulled groin from poor squat form). Well I have been doing it for about 7 weeks now, so I am a little late in posting this but I'm about to start my second wave so that works. Here's a little about myself:

Height: 5'11"
    Weight: 173 lbs
    Years lifting:2 yrs(6 months seriously)
    Bench 1RM: 225 lbs(10/29/08)
    Deadlift 1RM: 275 lbs(8/27/08)
    Squat 1RM: 255 lbs(8/17/08) <--high box. (estimated max around 205)

Well, since hurting my knee/groin, I have been scared to do squats again as I feel that I will hurt myself again. Until I can find someone to help me with form, I try to incorporate box squats as I am more comfortable with something underneath me(i know this makes me a pussy, but it is what it is).

Since starting WS4SB on 11/3/08, I have rotated flat bench, close grip bench and 2 board press. For flat I finished with 210x3, for close grip I worked up to 195x3, and for 2 board I did 225x2 the first time I did it. For deads, I have pulled 245x3(3rd week back doing them), 2.5" deficit deadlifted 295x3, and snatch grip deadlifted 235x3. Now that I am figuring out what works, I am ready to repeat my cycles, but this time doing each for 3 weeks, doing a 5RM, 3RM, and 1RM. I feel this should help me make better gains.

So, for bench, I will rotate: flat bench, close grip bench, wide grip bench, and incline bench(closer than normal grip).

For lower, I will rotate: conventional deads, deficit deads, snatch grip deads, and rack pulls just below knee. Incorporating lighter box squats afterwards.

Hopefully, members, including those more experienced will chime in with tips and motivation.
    Last edited by gatorman2k6; 04-18-2009 at 12:45 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

TJW
    12/31/08- ME Lower
    After a crappy upper workout on monday, I was motivated to workout and lift heavy.

Snatch-grip deadlifts(from a 2.5" deficit)
    135x8
    185x3
    185x3
    235x3 PR(grip wanted to give out)
    decided to take out deficit and pull conventional to get an idea of where I'm at
    305x1 PR
    305x1

Box Squats
    4x5x185lbs

Romanian Deadlifts
    4x6x185lbs

Leg Curls
    4x10x55lbs

10 min elliptical

Notes:
    Finally broke 300lbs!!!!!!!!! This was all the weights I have at my house so I was pumped. Now I have an excuse to buy more weights!! My box squats are probably high box squats because I straddle over my bench. Still scared to go heavy on these as to not hurt my knee. Hopefully this semester, I can find someone to teach me how to squat because I really want to incorporate them. Romanian Deadlifts finished me off today, I'm not sure how I found the strength to do leg curls. Overall, I was pumped and am looking forward to Friday's RE Upper workout.

if you're that dedicated to learning how to squat practice it with no weight, all the way to the ground. soon as that becomes second nature add the bar, then add 10, 25s, and so forth. You won't hurt your knee this way and can properly incorporate the squat into your routine.
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

“Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

TJW
    Quote Originally Posted by Cards View Post
    if you're that dedicated to learning how to squat practice it with no weight, all the way to the ground. soon as that becomes second nature add the bar, then add 10, 25s, and so forth. You won't hurt your knee this way and can properly incorporate the squat into your routine.
    Thanks, I know most don't go all the way down, but is there ever a way to go too far? I have gotten into a squat position to stretch and my butt is touching my ankles basically. I feel that if I put a bar on my back, that I am probably leaning too far forward and that my lower back is rounded, but this is the most comfortable position for my knee it seems. Thanks for the help, and I am really going to work on incorporating squats into my routine.

TJW
    1/2/09- RE Upper

Flat Bench
    barx12
    95 lbsx8
    155x8
    155x8
    155x8

Seated Military Press
    barx5
    95x5
    145x3 PR
    125x6
    105x8

Straight Bar Pushdowns
    55x10
    45x10
    45x10
    45x10

Lat Pulldowns- V Grip*
    90x10
    90x10
    90x10
    90x10

*Supersetted With*

Concentration Curls
    3x10x25lbs

5 min elliptical

Notes:
    Overall, this workout tired me out, but I'm happy with it. It is my last workout at home before going back to school and having partners for spots and motivation. The bench felt nice, last set was a little tough but nothing too difficult. I'm really trying to bring up my shoulders and strengthen them which is why I'm adding more sets. The 145x3 was ugly but I got it. The 125x6 was easier than usual, so I'm happy with that. The lat pulldowns and curls are what killed me. I haven't eaten much today, so I'm drained and ready to take it easy and watch some college football. I'm glad my prediction of Ole Miss over Texas Tech is coming true. Can't wait to get back to school and start getting serious again.

TJW
    Well, today is my last day home before going back to school and I was going to do some heavy bag work for some cardio, but I felt lazy and decided to take it easy. I'm still a little sore from yesterday's work out so I'm not too upset with missing a little cardio workout. I can't wait to get back to school and I found out the gym will be open monday even though classes won't have started. Maybe I will get some cardio in tomorrow after my 4 hour drive.

TJW
    Back at school now after the usual boring 4 hour drive. Can't wait to work out tomorrow now that I am back and can eat more often. The best part of the day was finding out that I'm going to Costco tomorrow before working out which means free samples and buying food in bulk.

FYI, I start my new cycle tomorrow, I'm thinking up the exercises that I will do right now.

TJW
    1/5/09- ME Upper

Flat Bench
    barx12
    95x8
    135x5
    185x2
    195x5 PR
    155x10
    135x10

Incline Dumbbell Press
    50lbs(each)x10
    50lbsx10
    50lbsx9

Seated Cable Rows-Hammer Grip
    3x10x100lbs

Seated Rear Delt Machine
    3x10x80lbs

Curls
    3x10

Hanging Leg Raises
    4x15

Stationary Bike-20 min

Notes:
    First workout back at school, and I forgot how much more I like lifting at school than at home. I had a spot for once, and some motivation. I was going for a 5RM on bench, and although 195lbs was a PR, I really wish I had gone to 205 because 195lbs was pretty easy. I knew I wouldn't get 205lbs after 195lbs, so I just did some higher rep sets and decided to push it extra hard next week for a new 3RM. I'm a little disappointed with the incline dumbbell press, mainly because I had done 4x8 with 50lbs and it felt a lot heavier this time. Hopefully it's because I haven't done dumbbell work recently, and it will feel better and more normal next week. Other than that, everything was pretty easy and I'll hit more PR's next week. I just didn't want to go full out in my first workout back at school. I'm hoping to hit 215lbsx3 next week.

Banned
    nice work bro,what are you gonna go for next week?

TJW
    Quote Originally Posted by NJPWRLFTR View Post
    nice work bro,what are you gonna go for next week?
    Thanks man! Instead of going for another 5RM, I'm going for a 3RM with 215x3. On my first cycle using flat bench, I just did 3RM and tried getting a new 3RM for 3 weeks and it was harder than thought. I figure by hitting a 5RM, 3RM, and 1RM, I won't stall. So, on my first cycle, I only got 215x1(stalled on second rep), but I feel a lot stronger now and am pretty confident I'll hit 215x3.

Banned
    sounds like a plan,kill it next week!

TJW
    sounds like a plan,kill it next week!
    Thanks for the motivation! I'm a little sore today, but I plan on going to the gym to do a little cardio. Tomorrow will be my lower day, and I can't wait to deadlift.

TJW
    1/6/09-Cardio

5min warm-up
    13min HIIT (20sec sprint,40sec SS)
    5min cool down

Banned
    Nice HIIT session..

what do you do your HIIT on?

TJW
    Nice HIIT session..

what do you do your HIIT on?
    Thanks for asking, I meant to put it in there, but it slipped my mind. I used the stationary bike today. I either use the stationary bike or elliptical depending how I feel.

TJW
    1/7/09-ME Lower

Deadlifts
    135x5
    225x5
    265x2
    295x5 PR

Leg Press
    5x10x3pps

Calf Raises
    3x10x4pps

45* Hyperextensions
    3x10x45lbs

Notes:
    Well, once again, PRs are being hit. After tripling 295 from a deficit over break, I wanted to hit it as a 5RM without the deficit this week. The most I had tried before was 275lbs while doing Madcow's 5x5 before hurting my knee. Worked out having a good looking girl in the rack next to mine for extra motivation. Leg presses are more for my knee than anything. It's a little sore right now, so hopefully a little ice will help out. I hadn't done that much volume on leg press before, but I thought it wouldn't hurt. Still trying to work on squat form without a teacher or camera, so it's a little tough. First time doing hyperextensions in about 4 weeks, so those were killer even though I had done that much weight before. Next week they shouldn't feel as bad, and I'm gonna try 4x10. Overall a good workout and I can't wait to hit a new 3RM next week!
    Last edited by gatorman2k6; 01-07-2009 at 07:04 PM.

Banned
    solid session!

315x3 next week!!

TJW
    solid session!

315x3 next week!!
    That's the plan! I have never put on that much weight before, but 295 didn't feel too heavy and I never stalled on any reps. So, I would like to hit 315x3 next week and then who knows for a 1RM the following week. I'm just happy that I am starting to understand how to set up a work out and make it work for me.

TJW
    1/8/09- Off Day

Decided to take the day off, so that I could get ready to watch Florida play in the championship. Just as I thought, and predicted at the beginning of the season, Florida won! Tomorrow I will hit the gym hard with my RE Upper day. Go Gators!

TJW
    1/9/09- RE Upper

Flat Bench
    barx15
    95x8
    145x10
    145x10
    145x10

Seated Military Press
    barx5
    95lbsx5
    125x5
    125x5
    125x5(last rep grinder)

Tricep Rope Pushdowns
    65lbsx10
    57.5x10
    57.5x10
    57.5x10

Lat Pulldowns-underhand
    120lbsx12
    120x12
    120x12
    120x8

Curls
    3x10

Weighted Sit-ups(25lbs)
    3x15

Elliptical
    13min SS

Notes:
    Pretty good workout today, nothing too fancy. Still trying to figure out how to get my seated press to increase. I know I'll be fatigued after bench, but I figured I would make some progress and I seem to be stuck. I've tried changing up the reps too. Lat pulldowns were pretty tough too. I guess with me increasing the weight on bench/seated press, I'm not able to make PRs on every exercise...oh well. And of course, I had to finish with curls for the girls. Probably gonna take the weekend off, or I might get in some cardio. I'm already excited for Monday's ME workout.Just realized diet could be a factor, because I didn't wake up until noon today, so I didn't eat as much as I do on my other lifting days.

TJW
    Nothing today, but I will probably do some cardio tomorrow so I don't feel so lazy. Then on Monday I'll be ready to lift some heavy(for me) weights.

Banned
    Nice RE Session brotha,looking forward to seeing some heavy lifts on monday!

TJW
    Nice RE Session brotha,looking forward to seeing some heavy lifts on monday!
    Thanks man, I'm hoping for 215x3 on bench since I didn't get it during my first cycle on bench. I feel stronger so I think I will get it. Those are some nice weights you are lifting too. Keeps me motivated!

TJW
    1/12/09- ME Upper

Flat Bench
    barx15
    95x8
    135x5
    185x2
    215x3 PR
    155x11

Incline Dumbbell Press
    3x8x50lbs

Seated Cable Rows-Hammer Grip
    3x10x120lbs PR

Seated Rear Delt
    3x10x85lbs PR

Curls
    3x10

Notes:
    Amazing workout today!!! 215x3 was a 2 rep PR. I knew I had gotten stronger, but this proved it. The best part about it was that my roommate didn't think I could get it and I proved him wrong. However, the 155x11 tired me out, so the incline press is getting tougher and tougher. I'm not down though, because my bench is increasing and that's all I care about. Today was just a day for PRs, I was able to increase the weight on every lift but the incline press, so I am really happy with today's workout. Didn't get in my abs, but it doesn't really bother me. No cardio today, as I was too tired to do any. Tomorrow I'll do a little more than usual. I'm just so happy that I got a new 3RM. Already looking forward to next week's workout!

Banned
    Pr's everywhere!!

Nice session bro..

225 next week!