Thread: Bench pressing

Hybrid View

Wannabebig New Member

Bench pressing

i was wondering about benching two times a week, on a monday and a friday. I have always benched heavy on a Monday but was thinking of adding another day. I was reading about Bruce Lee and how he benched 160lb 1 day for 3 sets of 10 and on the other day he benched 100lb for 3 sets 20-30 reps. i was thinkin of giving this ago as i am benching around the same weight as this and was wondering if you thought this would be good or not.

will deadlift for food superjew18's Avatar
    how long have you been doing flat bench? you could just need to switch up the exercises...thorw in some incline, dumbbell presses, incline dumbbells...instead of the flat bench. do that for two or three weeks and jump back on the bench bus and see what happens.
    "The gym is my office. It's where I work. All that other crap about the sport leaves me when I'm training. It's full of balls-out brutal intensity. People can talk all they want, but you've got to bust your ass in the gym, put yourself through the pain, to make it in this sport."

King Kamali

Everybody wants to be a bodybuilder, but don't nobody wanna lift no heavy-ass weight!"

Ronnie Coleman

Wannabebig New Member
    yeah i know what your saying i have been flat benching for months now without swithing it up apart from Monday their i decided to do dumbbell press for a few weeks before i go back to flat. I also do incline but with the smith machine and i do dumbbell flyes and dips.

I bench twice a week, nothing too crazy though.

Tuesday: Heavy Bench (includes heavy flat benching, rack lockouts and incline bench)

then I bench again during my speed light day..

Saturday: Speed/Light Day (Includes speed bench, and sometimes a couple sets of 10.

You arent really gonna be able to bench heavy twice a week unless you really split up the work.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinStarke
    I bench twice a week, nothing too crazy though.

Tuesday: Heavy Bench (includes heavy flat benching, rack lockouts and incline bench)

then I bench again during my speed light day..

Saturday: Speed/Light Day (Includes speed bench, and sometimes a couple sets of 10.

You arent really gonna be able to bench heavy twice a week unless you really split up the work.
    do you do a modified westside?
    "The gym is my office. It's where I work. All that other crap about the sport leaves me when I'm training. It's full of balls-out brutal intensity. People can talk all they want, but you've got to bust your ass in the gym, put yourself through the pain, to make it in this sport."

King Kamali

Everybody wants to be a bodybuilder, but don't nobody wanna lift no heavy-ass weight!"

Ronnie Coleman

Out of curiousity, what are rack lockouts?

next-tyson-but-white arnoldsclone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sprecks
    i was wondering about benching two times a week, on a monday and a friday. I have always benched heavy on a Monday but was thinking of adding another day. I was reading about Bruce Lee and how he benched 160lb 1 day for 3 sets of 10 and on the other day he benched 100lb for 3 sets 20-30 reps. i was thinkin of giving this ago as i am benching around the same weight as this and was wondering if you thought this would be good or not.

That program will just make you lose weight and gain muscular endurance, do you want to get strong and get big? then i would do a 5 sets of 5 reps routine and fail on all but the first sets. I used to bench monday, and weds and satdy. I was going up in my bench at least 2.5lbs per workout. I got to the point where i was repping 5 sets of 7-8 reps with 240lbs, it felt damn good. i was maxing 300 + then, about a year ago now.

Ahnold says, " milk is for babies!"
    "deadlift if you know"- myself
    Boxing/ working out 5 days a week!
    6'1"- 230lbs-and bulking till i can't stand the mirror
    Former fatass- whent from 302lbs to 207 lbs rippling 05-06
    bench 315
    deadlift 455
    squat 405
    big 3 total = 1175 lbs of RAW IRON!!!MUAHAHAHAHAHA

Wannabebig New Member
    to kevin- i am only looking to go heavy on monday and light on a friday, sorry if i didnt point that well enough.

to arnold- i am lookin to get big but also more toned. is benching 3 times a week not overtraining?

next-tyson-but-white arnoldsclone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sprecks
    to kevin- i am only looking to go heavy on monday and light on a friday, sorry if i didnt point that well enough.

to arnold- i am lookin to get big but also more toned. is benching 3 times a week not overtraining?

It depends on who you are. you will not get toned by doing tons of reps, you'll get toned by dieting correctly. Lifting heavy with few reps and many sets will burn more calories and be beneficial to getting big and strong and toned if your diet is right. To get toned stop eating any simple carbs ie white bread, white rice, sugar in any form etc. and make your primary 2 things in your diet protein(lean), and whole grains and greens.

lockouts are when you only bench the bar and plates off of their pegs and lockout your elbows. This is generally done to get past sticking points speccifically if you have trouble locking out the top portion of a rep.

Ahnold says, " milk is for babies!"
    "deadlift if you know"- myself
    Boxing/ working out 5 days a week!
    6'1"- 230lbs-and bulking till i can't stand the mirror
    Former fatass- whent from 302lbs to 207 lbs rippling 05-06
    bench 315
    deadlift 455
    squat 405
    big 3 total = 1175 lbs of RAW IRON!!!MUAHAHAHAHAHA

so you would do rack lockouts as opposed to a board press?

King Kamali

Ronnie Coleman

Banned
    How old are you, I believe that has something to do with answering your question.
    when i started out lifting at 13 i was able to work every muscle group every other day
    chest, back, quads, hams one day
    then bi's, tri's, delts and calves the next.
    I wont pretend to be an expert then but from 13-15 i saw some decent gains, I didnt work out to hard on the weights where my muscles didnt recoup.
    from 15-17 I started working out a little harder and had to cut it down to all the muscle groups twice a week, still made some good gains and was pretty strong lb for lb.
    when i hit 18 and older i couldnt hit the same muscle groups twice a week - they werent healing/resting in time, i had to cut it down to a muscle group once a week. This is when my workouts started to use some good poundage and good intensity, I had to rest my joints and muscles so they would be ready next week to pound out the weight.

I have done some experiments when i was really busy with work and college and couldnt get in the gym like i needed to and i wanted to keep my arm size up. I tried doing less intense workouts but more often, it helped keep my strength/size up somewhat but not as well as one intense day a week compard to 2 or 3 light times a week for that muscle group.

my workouts have evolved into one intense day a week for each muscle group, allows me to only work out 3 times a week and I dont get burnt out for being in the gym 24/7.
    another good thing to consider to gain muscle mass/stength you need consistancy, effort and you have to love to do it.