Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: is decline bench press necessary

Wannabebig Member

is decline bench press necessary

do decline bench press give you a bigger chest as i am looking for mass

Any bench gives you chest.

I like declines alot, feels alot more targetive.
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

Want mass? Eat more.

If you're really looking for more chest, do DB bench and go heavy.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

I've never done declines, I have no chest. Do the math

declines are a cool exersize for variation and they hammer your chest good + you can use more weight, im good for about 25 lbs more.
    2000 or bust

I personally dont like decline. Feels weird around my shoulders and it doesnt target my chest very well.

But the extra weight does look nice

I have always done well with declines.

i think they are pretty good, but not necessary.
    Bench:225x5, 255x1
    Squat:350x5
    Dead:370x5, 415x1

Not needed at all, unless you simply need another exersize so you can rotate. Flat's and inclines are sufficient.

To gain some mass on your chest try sticking to a compound movement (such as flat barbell bench press) and attempt to gain strength each workout (even if it's only 1 rep per set). Usually, performance increases will correlate with increased size in the 5-12 rep ranges. Stay away from the cable crossover, flies, and peck deck. Compounds are much more efficient mass builders than the isolations.

Banned
    load up the weight to get a big chest.
    i havent done much decline mostly flat and can hit my chest pretty good.

will deadlift for food superjew18's Avatar
    decline is a good compound exercise, but it doesnt target your chest any better than a flat. in fact, it targets your chest a little more. when doing a decline press your shoulders are more involved than they are in a flat bench.

No one mentioned dips. A very good alternative...
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Risk10k
    I've never done declines, I have no chest. Do the math
    You have no chest because you spend too much time playing guitar and not enough time on teh pecs.
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

Quote Originally Posted by -TIM-
    You have no chest because you spend too much time playing guitar and not enough time on teh pecs.
    Bleh, I work out my chest once a year and my legs every twelve hours! I'd hate to over train :P

^^^

Yes, but you dress good, thats all that matters.
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

My gym doesn't have a decline bench I just make do with dips for lower chest.

never done decline
    5'10", 170lbs, 10% bf

Bench:255 Squat:295 Dead:400
    Snatch:145 C&J: 205
    Chin-Up: +135 Dip: +100
    Max Pull-Ups: 44

CrossFit Lv. 1, ACE-CPT

You want our weapons!? Come and get them!

Quote Originally Posted by peacefrog
    My gym doesn't have a decline bench I just make do with dips for lower chest.
    yeah because flat bench definatly doesnt hit the lower chest
    Bench:225x5, 255x1
    Squat:350x5
    Dead:370x5, 415x1

lol, where is the lower chest, anyway. Is that the upper set on the six pack? :P

When I first started going to the gym (many moons ago) and I could only flat bench 165, for some reason, I could decline 225. I loved it, because I had more weight on the bar, but I honestly could not tell you WHY there was such a great disparity between my flat and my decline, nor do I know for sure which muscles are responsible. I had always assumed that decline bench brings lats more in to play than flat.

If I'm not mistaken, doesn't decline bench put more stress on your lats?
    "The individual who goes the furthest is generally the one who is willing to do, dare and attempt new things. The sure thing boat never gets far from shore." - Dale Carnegie

"The most important quality is to live the life you want to have, not the life you have." - Dave Tate

"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour - his greatest fulfullment to all he holds dear - is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle, victorious." - Vince Lombardi

will deadlift for food superjew18's Avatar
    lats and shoulders in general
    "The gym is my office. It's where I work. All that other crap about the sport leaves me when I'm training. It's full of balls-out brutal intensity. People can talk all they want, but you've got to bust your ass in the gym, put yourself through the pain, to make it in this sport."

King Kamali

Everybody wants to be a bodybuilder, but don't nobody wanna lift no heavy-ass weight!"

Ronnie Coleman

Quote Originally Posted by Risk10k
    Bleh, I work out my chest once a year and my legs every twelve hours! I'd hate to over train :P

legs are awesome!
    Way down this road, in a gym far away, a young man was once heard to say, "I've repped high and I've repped low, No matter what I do my legs won't grow."

He tried leg extensions, leg curls, and leg presses, too. Trying to cheat these sissy workouts he'd do. From the corner of the gym where the big men train, Through a cloud of chalk and the midst of pain.

Where the big iron rides high and threatens lives, Where the noise is made with big forty fives. A deep voice bellowed as he wrapped his knees, A very big man with legs like trees.

Laughing as he snatched another plate from the stack, Chalking his hands and monstrous back, Said "Boy stop lying and don't say you've forgotten, Trouble with you is you ain't been SQUATTIN"

Quote Originally Posted by superjew18
    lats and shoulders in general

i dont believe your correct on the shoulder being more invloved - think about it logically

whats stronger your shoulder or chest? chest right

so if you use your shoulder more in the lift than chest would it be less kinda like the incline??!??!?!?!?!

im not big on declines so i've never really thought about what muscel it hits other then the chest- but its not shoulders
    Way down this road, in a gym far away, a young man was once heard to say, "I've repped high and I've repped low, No matter what I do my legs won't grow."

He tried leg extensions, leg curls, and leg presses, too. Trying to cheat these sissy workouts he'd do. From the corner of the gym where the big men train, Through a cloud of chalk and the midst of pain.

Where the big iron rides high and threatens lives, Where the noise is made with big forty fives. A deep voice bellowed as he wrapped his knees, A very big man with legs like trees.

Laughing as he snatched another plate from the stack, Chalking his hands and monstrous back, Said "Boy stop lying and don't say you've forgotten, Trouble with you is you ain't been SQUATTIN"

Decline bench doesn't hit shoulders more. Incline bench hits shoulders more (halfway between bench and military press ).