The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Which thick barbell?

Trying to decide between the Iron Mind Apollon's Axle thick bar or the newyorkbarbells.com 2" thick bar.

Is the apollon's axle tube steel or is it solid? I'm thinking its tube steel since its only 33 lbs. The Apollon's axle also doesn't have any knurling where the newyorkbarbells.com bar does.

Here is the price break down for each bar with shipping:

Apollon's axle $264
    Newyorkbarbells.com 2" solid steel $298
    Newyorkbarbells.com 2" tube steel $131

So..with price not an issue which is the better bar? I do like that the 2" solid bar from newyorkbarbells.com is 78 lbs.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

not sure what you are going to use it for but this is what we use. I took an old olympic bar and measured inside the collars. I then cut a 2" od pipe to length. took one end of the barbell off slid the pipe on put the end back and had a fat bar. I wrapped some athletic tape around it and it works great for pressing and there is no way it will ever bend.

As for the other two. We have some New York Barbell stuff at my work and I think it is junk! I know others like it but I would not own any. thats just my thought. I would get the Appolon or go to www.brutestrength.com and see if they still make one.

Wayne
    pain is inevitable suffering is optional

www.ryanopower.com

http://www.prowriststraps.com

If price isn't an issue, I would get this one: http://www.flexcart.com/members/elit...id=213&pid=898

Otherwise, go with the NY barbell 2" solid.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

pain is inevitable suffering is optional

www.ryanopower.com

http://www.prowriststraps.com

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks guys. I recently bought some gear from newyorkbarbells.com and it was quality stuff so I'm not worried about that. Their solid bar is about the same cost as the Apollon Axle...I know Iron Mind makes quality stuff too.

What do you guys think about the knurling? I don't train with gloves and I'm thinking that the bar with no knurling maybe alittle slippery. Does that just help work your grip harder?

I've only tried the Apollon's Axle by Ironmind so I can't compare, but I liked it a lot. It is hollow, but there's no way it's not strong enough for more weight than you'll ever need.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Wannabebig Member
    Sensei, What do you think about the knurling? Do you wish that your Apollon's axle had knurling or do you like it smooth?

I don't have one, but I have access to one. I have 2" diameter DBs though and they have knurling. I don't know - I guess it's kind of nice to not have the knurling on the Apollon's Axle since it's supposed to be challenging on the grip anyway. If it slips out of your hands, it's not going to tear anything either.

I guess it's just a preference thing.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Wannabebig Member
    Well I went ahead and bought the Apollon's axle from IronMind. What made my mind up was the fact that the Apollon's axle doesn't have any knurling. I figured that if I wanted more grip I could add some grip tape and the absence of knurling would be better on building a stronger grip.

Thanks for all the replies.

If you already have a barbell you could just buy some athletic tape. I recently made my old barbell into a 2+ inch thick one just wrapping it with the tape. It's not slippery at all and cost less than 20 dollars.

Wannabebig Member
    I only had one bar so i needed a second one. ONe standard and one thick bar. I think this apollons axle will be just fine.

Krylon Anti-Skid spray paint will help more than tape. Wait until you try cleans with it, it's a killer.

Wannabebig Member
    Is there any benifit from benching or squating with a fat bar? Or should I just use it for my deads, rows and other floor lifts?

Benching a little bit, squatting with it will just make it more comfortable. Use it for deads, rows, cleans, presses, curls, the whole nine yards.

Wannabebig Member
    Received the IronMind Apollon Axle today. I'll use it in my Monday workout. It will make my bent over rows and deadlifts much harder.