Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 485 lbs. Deep Squat for 2 reps at around 155 lbs. bodyweight

Hybrid View

485 lbs. Deep Squat for 2 reps at around 155 lbs. bodyweight

Hehe, I wish it was me

Zhang Guozheng 220kg x 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y8yKSJbpFI

Okay, I thought even achieving a 315 lbs. deep squat for me at 140 lbs. was impossible. Now I just need to gain 15 or so lbs. and go for a 315 lbs. deep squat at least once would be a nice long term goal.

...But first, to aquire the lower back (or perhaps HIPS?) flexibility like the guy above has.
    Last edited by SkinnySadMan; 11-24-2006 at 03:14 AM.
    5'7 425 lbs. 85% bodyfat Need to gain 20-40 lbs.

New journal - http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=86957 Boring I know, but whatever.

Holy ****! He seemed to do it so easily, apart from the knees on the 2nd.

I like the tool on youtube that says "knees caving is a sign of weakness" omg, what a moron. 220kg x 2!! @ 155!
    Last edited by 1mmort4l; 11-24-2006 at 03:58 AM.

Current PR's (updated 19th March.)

Bench: 325lbs/ 145kgs
    Dead: 395lbs/ 180kgs
    Squat: 370lbs/ 165kgs x 1 parallel.

Olympic lifters can do some crazy **** in both the front and back squats.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason
    hellllll yeah, this 1 complation i watch one man did 700 x 1 deep squat, i was like. ommmggg
    2000 or bust

In no way I'm bashing heavier lifters (I honestly wish I was naturally bigger framed) as bulking is bloody so hard to commit to. I just can't stand feeling full and uncomfortable throughout the whole day for years.

Anyways I like seeing the lighter lifters lift heavy **** since I can somewhat relate to it...and that IT IS POSSIBLE!!! Especially substracting 100 to 200 lbs. off their lifts, and it's still a pretty BIG number to aim for!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Mason
    Seeing them lift heavy ass **** overhead and sometimes holding it there for a few seconds is just freaking crazy man..
    Last edited by SkinnySadMan; 11-24-2006 at 06:53 AM.

New journal - http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=86957 Boring I know, but whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by 1mmort4l
    ...[clip]...
    I like the tool on youtube that says "knees caving is a sign of weakness" omg, what a moron. 220kg x 2!! @ 155!
    I know. Some of the comments I get on my vids are moronic.

Olympic lifters amaze me. I wish that I would have persued Olympic lifting early on in my life.
    Last edited by HeavyBomber; 11-24-2006 at 09:58 AM.

Banned
    Watching that makes me sad and motivated....he could have done another 50 lbs, easy.

http://www.grappling.com russianwol's Avatar
    So what about his technique? Knees go wide on the descend then come close on the ascend. Seems like a specific technique... Comments?
    "If I were not Alexander, I should wish to be Diogenes." - Alexander The Great

Maxes: B: 200, D: TBD, S: TBD | 172lb @ 6% on 12/17/2006
    Goals: B:225, D: TBD, S: TBD | | 200lb or 12%

MySpace | USDA Nutrient Values | Built | V-Taper

Quote Originally Posted by russianwol
    So what about his technique? Knees go wide on the descend then come close on the ascend. Seems like a specific technique... Comments?
    He's taking the stress off his hips and throwing it on his quads. He's a strong bastard, no doubt, but not the best technique.
    edit: ...and no, I can't squat as much as he can (without a suit, briefs, belt, and wraps )
    Quote Originally Posted by SkinnySadMan
    In no way I'm bashing heavier lifters (I honestly wish I was naturally bigger framed) as bulking is bloody so hard to commit to. I just can't stand feeling full and uncomfortable throughout the whole day for years.
    Anyways I like seeing the lighter lifters lift heavy **** since I can somewhat relate to it...and that IT IS POSSIBLE!!! Especially substracting 100 to 200 lbs. off their lifts, and it's still a pretty BIG number to aim for!!!
    I guess I always assumed you wanted to be big... If that is what you want, you need to eat MORE. You don't have to be full all the time, but if you want to be 160, for example, YOU NEED TO EAT LIKE YOU ARE A 160lb MAN, NOT A GUY WHO WEIGHS 130...
    If you want to be strong, you don't have to be big, but it will just take longer to get there.
    Last edited by Sensei; 11-24-2006 at 01:59 PM.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Thats awesome.

60% of the comments you get on youtube are ridiculous. I've had people tell me i'm not 160 lbs and that I weigh 225 lbs and am lying.

I must admit though, I find it much more impressive for a little guy to lift a crazy amount of weight over a big guy lifting a lot of weight.
    Forever Goal: Strength

Weightlifting sucks. I just like to lift heavy things.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris686
    I must admit though, I find it much more impressive for a little guy to lift a crazy amount of weight over a big guy lifting a lot of weight.
    Obviously this guy is crazy strong. However, it is *much* easier to have a high power/weight ratio if you are short. Anyway, I wouldn't like to be 5ft 4in, no matter what my power/weight ratio was.

Quote Originally Posted by peacefrog
    Obviously this guy is crazy strong. However, it is *much* easier to have a high power/weight ratio if you are short. Anyway, I wouldn't like to be 5ft 4in, no matter what my power/weight ratio was.
    I don't think being short is the key. Being lighter in weight makes it easier. Many top powerlifters are under 5'10 and over 300 pounds.

Quote Originally Posted by peacefrog
    Please show me some stats where shorter people have the advantage over taller people in weight lifting? Shorter limbs also means less room for muscle development.

Footballer
    I think with shorter limbs leverage would be better.
    Calgary Stampeder!
    Formerly a CMU Chippewa!

Being short has advantages and disadvantages, as do taller people. It just pisses me off when people try to discredit years of hard work based on someones height.

The guy is around 155 lbs. A 6' 155 lbs guy is a twig, and twigs don't squat 485 for two reps. This guy is obviously muscular.

Being short has the advantage of being able to lift larger weights at lighter bodyweights. It seems to me particularly true in the low bodyweight range, a 150 lbs 6' guy will never have the capacity to squat that much, unless his body is made of two giant legs.

The poster was not saying that shorter guys have it easier.
    If someone told me he was 156 lbs and squatting 415, I would assume he's not very tall.
    Last edited by Max Thunder; 11-25-2006 at 01:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Max Thunder
    The guy is around 155 lbs. A 6' 155 lbs guy is a twig, and twigs don't squat 485 for two reps.

Give me a couple of years.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

lol I just thought I'd bring this up. Not to be picking on your Starke, but it seems to be a recurring theme. I've noticed that when short people list their height they do it right down to the decimals. I only thought of this because of your sig where you list your height as 5'3.5"

I read an interview where Lee Priest did that too. It makes me think shorties are self conscious about their height. But being short has no advantage in and of itself, nor any disadvantage. Leverage comes from limb attachments and length. Not just a short stature.

Talk about CNS muscle recruitment...

A 6' 155 lbs guy is a twig, and twigs don't squat 485 for two reps. This guy is obviously muscular.
    uh... yah... a 6' guy who's 155 obviously hasnt been training very hard smart guy if he's still a twig, thats a ridiculous arguement. I wasn't always 160 at my height it took years of training. I wasnt directing my comments at the OP I was directing them at magicman.

Magicman - Im not insecure about my height at all im perfectly comfortable in my own skin. I list my height to the decimal as a long running joke about how I managed to grow .5" in 4 years time. It's just annoying because I dont go around telling taller people with long arms the only reason they deadlift as much as they do is because they have better leverages.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinStarke
    uh... yah... a 6' guy who's 155 obviously hasnt been training very hard smart guy if he's still a twig, thats a ridiculous arguement. I wasn't always 160 at my height it took years of training. I wasnt directing my comments at the OP I was directing them at magicman.
    You were responding to "peacefrog" and you whined when he stated that "it is *much* easier to have a high power/weight ratio if you are short".

Quote Originally Posted by KevinStarke

Magicman - Im not insecure about my height at all im perfectly comfortable in my own skin. I list my height to the decimal as a long running joke about how I managed to grow .5" in 4 years time. It's just annoying because I dont go around telling taller people with long arms the only reason they lift as much as they do is because they have better leverages.
    I was just kidding Kev...

Im not whining im just defending my position

He has some nicely sized traps to rest that bar on...I think that's what I need haha, my shoulderblades hurt sometimes
    Name: Addison , Height: 6'0"
    Weight: 173 lbs, Location: Toronto
    Bodyfat: 8.4%, Age: 18

Bench: 205lb x 2
    Squat: 275lb x 4
    Deadlift: 305lb x 1
    Chins: 20 pronated, 5 w/ 50lb db

As of 5/03/2005

My Pic Thread